galaxy 3 and 4... changing sim from israeli to thai packages...

bina

i need like the 101 advice/how to type answers.

)thai)hubby will be going for a home visit to a dinky village outside of koart, for two months so im putting our phone provider on his phone 'to sleep' for two months ; he wants to buy a sim card /internet... no credit cards, needs to be prepaid or whatever its called.

suggestions? and then hwat happens with all the f/b gmail etc accounts? does someone re program it all for him? (his phone has thai so no problem).

i will be there for three weeks. i will want one phone for within thailand, a 'semi-smart' phone maybe ( i have an extra LG phone in addition to my galaxy) and one for family package in israel to keep in touch iwth home.

i als owant to be able to use internet. there is no internet wi/fi etc in his village therefore i will need a package.

if i switch sim cards, and get a thai sim card in thailand for my galaxy, how do i find all my 'preprogrammed' info like fb/gmail/etc.

what people do in my kibbutz doesn help as they all use a special overseas package when they go as a family, but in my case hubby is thai and wants to speak with all his family, and keep in touch with me until i arrive.

any ideas (budget budget...)?pricing? (by korat)

i hope that was clear. im not a heavy internet user, just need to be in contact with my kids. work can take a jump in a lake... hubby is a heavy user if he has a topped up phone. if not, wont use. typical thai in that respect.

As long as the phone isn't SIM-locked it should be as simple as swapping the SIM and all's good to go. This also assumes that there's no security software.

I've got a UK sim in my S3 now and facebook, email etc. was all seamlessly working.

sim locked?

some phones are sold by phone companies that are "SIM locked" so that the phone will only work with SIM cards from that specific phone company. Most people get their phones on contract from their carrier so this is an issue that pops up a lot. If you got your phone from your carrier you better check with them.

e.g. in the US, you might have an AT&T phone that will work with no SIM card other than those from AT&T (you can't even cross over to another carrier in the same country, much less use a SIM from another country).

So JamieP is just saying if your phone is one of these "SIM-locked" ones, then you're not gonna be able to use that phone in Thailand (although, it may be possible to "unlock" a SIM-locked phone but to do so you need to talk to the carrier that sold you the phone and meet their requirements (which can involve paying them more money).

Actually another important question is, does your country use GSM or CDMA? If your current phone doesn't even use SIMs then you definitely cannot use it in Thailand with a local Thai package. Plus there's issues with the particular frequencies for your phone (which will determine whether you should get DTAC/True or AIS SIMs in Thailand).

If you're going to want more information you should post the specific model numbers of your phones (Iomatopo where are you? Somebody needs your help!)

fortunately i stopped using orange/partner as that was what our kibbutz contracted to, as a business. i hated having to go to someone on kibbutz as the 'business agent' to get stuff done so broke off, and because there are several compnaies now with good plans, joined one. so the phone is independant of companies.

models? galaxy 3 (mine) and galaxy 4 (his). android. i dont know how to find out what model it is. it just says samsung on it. i guess whatever phones use in israel...

but why would a company need to have a specific frequency. here, all companies are the same, jsut have different value packages for internet , free sms, that sort of thing. how do i know what frequency it is? and no, i dont have their boxes.

carrier pigeons were a lot simpler.

AIS, DTAC and TrueMove all have shops at Suvarnabhumi/Bangkok International Airport, on level 2/Arrivals just outside the Customs exit. Maybe stop there to purchase a SIM, add value and subscribe to a mobile data plan, if you need one.

Or just wait until you get to Korat and ask local family to assist; they will know the best options.

Calls within Thailand will be 1 ~ 2 baht/min, a decent mobile data plan will be 450 ~ 800 baht/30 days, and calls back to Israel can range from 4 to 30 baht/min, depending on the type of connection used. Using CAT 009 low-cost (009 972 nnnn nnnn) would be 4 baht/min to a fixed line and 6 baht/min to a mobile.

All your applications will sync/work with the internet.

I'm guessing your phones are unlocked, and can accept a SIM. If so, any Thai SIM will work fine.

On your phones, go to Settings, scroll down to About phone, tell us the Model number.

Which mobile service provider do you currently use in Israel?

Edited by lomatopo

Great. Thnx. Can I find packages from the carriers on line? Or just go to the shops in the airport? I have to be quick cause have a cont. flight but will need thai sim already. Which works best korat area? Or does it really matter? Will be be in chiang mai first

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app