Should we Farangs be scared.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Back+Inside+Bangkok+Hilton+Memories%3A+Return+to+hell%3B+Convicted+killer...-a0137574593

IRISHMAN Colin Martin was convicted in Thailand of the murder of New Zealander Bret Holdsworth, 40, on July 14, 1977.

A father-of-four from Crossmaglen, South Armagh, he spent almost eight years in the notorious rat-infested, disease-ridden "Bangkok Hilton" prison.

In his best-selling book, Welcome To Hell, he said the police tortured him with electric shocks to his body and testicles and nearly suffocated him by placing a plastic bag over his head.

Colin said: "They threatened to kill me if I didn't confess and at one time held a gun to my head and told me they would shoot me if I didn't sign a statement they had prepared in Thai. Then they would say I was shot whilst trying to escape.

Tingtong read the book. It has nothing to do with bar fines and prostitutes. I simply tried to sketch a hypothetical situation many Farangs might find themselves in.

To be honest, you seemed to be describing a book about a man who went to jail on false rape charges, and whose wife ran off with his bail. But then I read he'd killed a Westerner, but your post seems to be about how if you get in trouble with a thai you should jump on the next plane home, so it's a wee bit confusing. How did he get released in the end then?

This though - "I always thought Asian women once committed, would be far more loyal than any other race on this planet" - is just some weird fantasy of what 'Asian women' should be- subservient, kowtowing... If that's the jaded stereotype that people are chasing them, yeah, they're going to be disappointed and deservedly so.

Firstly, if you are desperate enough to go to a bar and use prostitutes you are breaking the law, despite prostitutes being easily available everywhere it is illegal. If you don't break the law then there is no reason why you should be scared as far as I can see.

That said the system here is corrupt for sure, so if you do get into a scrape you had better have some cash to hand or you are in for a rough ride. Unlike the west where you will "mostly" expect justice and for the police to follow the rule of law Thailand certainly seems different. They use a combination of the law and personal discretion (the discretion part usually means cash payments) which makes things very unpredictable and unreliable.

So, I guess its simple really, don't break the law and you will probably never have to navigate the Thai legal system, warts and all.

• Like 2

Firstly, if you are desperate enough to go to a bar and use prostitutes you are breaking the law, despite prostitutes being easily available everywhere it is illegal. If you don't break the law then there is no reason why you should be scared as far as I can see.

pretty sure its not illegal, even tho farang repeatedly say it is. some aspects of it are, such as under age and soliciting, but prostitution itself isnt as far as I know

• Like 1

Scared is the one who does something wrong. Police will come later his conscience will catch him first.

Be scared of yourself first before doing anything illegal or a crime.

Avoid anything wrong all and hold head high.

Edited by tamvine
  • Like 1

you should only be scared of any danger if that fear helps you take action to reduce the risk

i'm not sure what action you can take to reduce the risk of being a victim of a miscarriage of justice other than maybe try to live your life peacefully without hurting or upsetting other people....

• Like 1

pretty sure its not illegal, even tho farang repeatedly say it is. some aspects of it are, such as under age and soliciting, but prostitution itself isnt as far as I know

Solicitation for prostitution is illegal in Thailand as you state. The wording of the law is clumsy and the fines are low unless the girl is under 18. It is also illegal for bar owners to run brothels, but then again the wording is weird and hard to define.

I'm not sure how a girl sells her body without solicitation or not in a club, but I can see how the laws can be twisted to get any girl off of a charge or arrest them either way.

Edited by duanebigsby

Tingtong read the book. It has nothing to do with bar fines and prostitutes. I simply tried to sketch a hypothetical situation many Farangs might find themselves in.

To be honest, you seemed to be describing a book about a man who went to jail on false rape charges, and whose wife ran off with his bail. But then I read he'd killed a Westerner, but your post seems to be about how if you get in trouble with a thai you should jump on the next plane home, so it's a wee bit confusing. How did he get released in the end then?

This though - "I always thought Asian women once committed, would be far more loyal than any other race on this planet" - is just some weird fantasy of what 'Asian women' should be- subservient, kowtowing... If that's the jaded stereotype that people are chasing them, yeah, they're going to be disappointed and deservedly so.

Yeah, that is one of the great myths. Asian women can be "subservient" regarding some issues that are important in Western culture. However, look at things that matter in their culture and you will find them something much different to "subservient." The same girl that treats you well in bed and clips your toenails will not just sit back and take it when you mess with family and other important issues in Asian culture. It's a myth based on Western views of Asia. I assume that most of the TV members who have actually been with a Thai or Asian woman for several years will attest to this fact.

• Like 1

He actually had a long term farang wife; came to Thailand, hooked up with a girl, got robbed of a small fortune by the kiwi, left his wife and two children and moved here. Then he kills a guy. Not exactly a sympathetic figure.

I read the book and thought it was a self serving pile of dog crap, by a guy who continually came up with excuses as why nothing was his fault. Frankly I did not feel sorry for him (and I am not usually one of the cynical kind who thinks everyone deserves what they get) and felt that he really did not learn anything from all his experiences.

Edited by charlieboz

You should always be aware of how thing work in a third world country. They are all very similar with loads of corruption

and depending on your connections or how much money you have things can work in your favour. (Guilty or not)

So afraid, no, aware definitely yes. Prepared with some emergency money/line of credit, absolutely. whistling.gif

• Like 2

And you only get one side of the story. I work as a volunteer police officer in Pattaya and here these stories all the time. It's so easy to know when people are leaving something out of the story. Just like liberal media, take out what you want and piece it together to tell the story you want told.

• Like 2

No iam not scared as I will not be murdering anyone to place me into that predicament to start with.

Do the crime, do the time.

Name one country where police and prison guards do not abuse their power, where innocent persons don't get convicted of crimes they didn't commit, where power and money don't buy a form of justice not available to "lesser people" and where isms based on race, religion, language, sexual identity or political persuasions don't put people at risk..

And running to Thai Visa to stir up some racially based alarm and call to arms ("we farangs") is just childish nonsense. If you're afraid then run away to some imagined farang paradise where never is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day.

And incidentally this is not an exclusively farang forum as your thread title seems to imply. I happen to be a farang, but that doesn't mean I want to be part of the hysterical "we" into which you seem to feel nationality or skin color immediately thrusts us all.

I'm more "scared" of fear mongers than I am worried about the Thai police and system of justice.

Really. WOW.

you reply to my post is way over the top. what are you hiding ?

Solicitation for prostitution is illegal in Thailand as you state. The wording of the law is clumsy and the fines are low unless the girl is under 18. It is also illegal for bar owners to run brothels, but then again the wording is weird and hard to define.

I'm not sure how a girl sells her body without solicitation or not in a club, but I can see how the laws can be twisted to get any girl off of a charge or arrest them either way.

Has been a while since I read the law but if I recall correctly the solicitation law supersedes the prostitution law however the solicitation law never mentions prostitution being legal or illegal. Since the previous law had been superseded there is no guidance on whether prostitution is legal or not. The solicitation law says the solicitation is illegal in public places. So would it be illegal if it took place inside of a bar or in the short time room?

Solicitation by definition is offering money for someone to perform an illegal act, but we normally think of prostitution only and I am sure that is what is meant in the law. So until we have clear guidance on whether prostitution is legal or not, there is nothing wrong with offering money for sex.