Abhisit claims Ex-Premier Thaksin still hopes for a royal pardon

webfact

Abhisit claims Ex-Premier Thaksin still hopes for a royal pardon

PNPOL570416001000301_16042014_113345.jpg

BANGKOK, 16 April 2014, (NNT) - The Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva claims that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra still has hopes of gaining a royal pardon.

The comment came shortly after Mr. Thaksin conducted an online conference with the ruling Pheu Thai Party, during which the former premier stated that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government has been the target of all kinds of political attacks from various sides, much as his administration had been treated in 2006 prior to the coup that brought it to an abrupt halt.

Mr. Abhisit accused the governments then and now of having hidden motives behind their election, saying that Thaksin’s administration attempted to evade tax while the objective of the Yingluck administration is to white-wash the corruption charges by means of a royal pardon.

The Democrat Party Leader pointed out that Mr. Thaksin has previously said that he may visit the Kingdom to extend his good wishes during Songkran next year, a clear indication that he is still hoping to receive a royal pardon.

He also quoted the former premier as saying he wished to leave the conflict behind and move forwards, commenting that if Thaksin truly seeks peace, he should turn himself in and legally fight the charges.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-16 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldnt he be convicted first in order to apply for a royal pardon ?

Where have you been? He already was convicted in absentia. Rather than defend himself he ran since he knew he was guilty already and would be imprisoned

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He was out on bail , pending more serious charges and under investigation for Human rights abuse by the UN, which has miraculously stopped , I wounder why.

Where have you been? He already was convicted in absentia. Rather than defend himself he ran since he knew he was guilty already and would be imprisoned

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah ok , my wrong , i think it was actually serve jailtime in order to get that pardon

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

I think Abhisit is on a fishing expedition ,or stirring the pot, either way, there is no chance that Thaskin will get a royal pardon ,not under the circumstances of which Thaskin was removed, the coup of 06 was an interesting time for some, however , freedom of speech has limitations in any democracy , Thailand has no democracy nor free speech , long term expats know what I refer to, unfortunately new comers will have to finds out for themselves. biggrin.png

• Like 2

He has been convicted, that's why he wants a royal pardon.

http://www.correct.go.th/eng/royal_pardon.html

Have a look at who can ,,,

Says "convicted prisoners " self exile is not the same as stay in a thai prison

Send with Commodore 64 using Thaivisa Connect Mobile App

didn't his daughter get married in Cambodia ??

No, big flashy do in Bangkok.....not sure who picked up the tab.

Plaza Athenee Hotel in Wireless Road.

Yes, their favorite haunt. I am a regular at there Sunday Buffet in the lobby and on regular occasions one can see PTP and UDD figures dining there as well. Always up the end near the kitchen doors on that huge table that seats 20. With the buffet costing 3600 baht a head their days out come out at over 72 000 baht of tax payers money.

<Edit> Wanting to be pardoned is thaksins way of saying he is guilty. It is the closest one will see of an admission. Only guilty people need to be pardoned. If he truly is not guilty then appeal the sentence. That is a sign of an innocent man.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

---------------------

The Tax-sinner has already been convicted.

He MIGHT be considered for a pardon .... but first ne needs to publically admit he committed a crime.

I doubt his over-ridding Ego will ever let him say that.

He will never admit he ever committed any crime.... so I very much doubt he will ever get a pardon.

He is one of those individuals who .... in his own mind ..... can never be wrong, it's always every one else that is wrong.

Thaksin said he would be in attendance for his Daughters wedding in 2011. Talk is cheap.

As abhisit proves, all too often.

Just like Thaksins many promises to quit politics forever stretching back to 2006, everyone of them broken.

So what is Thaksins word really worth nowadays and can he be trusted to keep it?

Edited by billd766

He and his sycophants are adamant he did nothing wrong, doesn't that trump everything else ?

Of course it does, the gospel according to Thaksin. Stuff the laws of the land and the courts, what I say should be adhered to immediately - no question asked or any back-chat.

• Like 2

"The Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva claims that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra still has hopes of gaining a royal pardon."

Operative words...Abhisit claims... end of story... If Mr Thaksin really thought this was a possiblity don't you think he would have already played that card...? C'mon./...really... see it for what it is... How many topics is Abhiset in the paper for now this week...? This is a ploy to inject his lil face into people's lives and living rooms so the image of Dear Leader fades away into the mystic....and his "less radical" more "neutral stance" is given a soapbox... period.

The problem with that is... should Ms. Yingluck get bumped I hardly think this guy is going to be the appointee... his ability to polarize, divide, incite, and distort far outweighs his abilities to congeal and unite...so his purpose is what...deflect,,, confuse... assuage the masses... allow the fading away of the man from the south....distract...appear to be the high road and a new barking face for the same old boys network...except it is not a new face... not a promising face... not a hopeful face...just more of the same face... and now even less of a game face... Abhisit claims... yadda yadda...

• Like 2

Those who state that Thaksin will never get a royal pardon demonstrate their lack of knowledge on the current impasse. If things follow their natural course, the one thing he will get is a pardon. Suthep and his crowd know and are doing everything possible to stop that natural course of events.

To get a Royal Pardon, first he must go to jail and serve I believe 1/3 of his sentence.

He also has to admit his guilt AND be truly penitent about it.

Only then he may be considered for a pardon. If he is not truly penitent he will not be considered.

In his case IF he returns to take his place in jail then the other cases which are on hold will be brought up and he will face those too.

Each of them are far more serious and carry far heavier penalties.

Stil to look on the bright side it is up to him if he wishes to return as the only person stopping him returning is Thaksin himself.

Have you ever thought he might be a bit short of the readies, maybe we could start a collection in T.V. to raise sufficient funds for at least a business class one way ticket back to Thailand. This is to show that we are thinking about him and don't want to see him greatly inconvenienced.