Foreigners consider Songkran the most famous festival in Chiang Mai

webfact

Foreigners consider Songkran the most famous festival in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI, 15 April 2014 (NNT) - The Economics Research and Agricultural Forecasting Centre (Maejo Poll) took a poll of foreigners’ opinions of the Songkran Festival, in Chiang Mai from 13th-15th April 2014 under the heading: ‘Celebrating Songkran Festival’.

The views come from a sample of 248 tourists; 85 percent considered the Songkran Festival the most famous festival in Chiang Mai, with 34.8 percent believing that Songkran is a Buddhism ceremony.

Over the period of 13th-15th April 2014, it was anticipated that individual tourists would spend about 16,000-30,000 baht a day.

However, tourists also expressed concerns about personal security while splashing water during the festival, especially the cleanliness of the water, and the perils of night time activities. While enjoying the occasion, many visitors also feared damage to their electronic accessories.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-16 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

3 years spending Song Kran right off Tai Pai gate loved every minute of it! This year decided to stay country style in Kanchanaburi. Very different and far more local. Not the mega party of Chiang Mai but still pretty fun. Oddly more friendly and intimate in the countryside, people just flag you down and pour a small amount on you instead of the mayhem of Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Individual tourists spending 16k to 30k per day?

Lots seem to be couples and families. so 64k to 120k for a family of 4???

Individual tourists seemed to be younger so more likely in budget accomodation.

So a young tourist, 1000 baht accomodation, 300 baht water gun, 1000 baht beer, 300 baht food plus any 'extras' 1400 baht totals 4000 Baht.

Family of 4, say 8k (good hotel) accomodation, 2k water guns for kids and 4k food and drink equals 14k for 4 of them. that equates to 3500 each.

So spending of 3,500 to 4,000 Baht per day sounds far more sensible.

What do they mean "Most famous festival in Chiang Mai"....

Also, how do you even answer this question? What is the correct answer?

That is like asking an America what is the most famous holiday in America.

Or asking a tourist in America what is the most famous holiday... If its Christmas time they will say Christmas, if its Easter, they will say Easter... 4th of July, the same...

Seems like really pointless content and a waste of time... They could have come up with much more interesting question for the poll.

I also agree... 15000-30,000 baht per day is quite high, I HIGHLY doubt it. I would say less than 10% are spending that... You would have to be in a 5 star hotel, which there isnt many around, eat at the 5 star hotel restaurants, drink wine, rent a car, and do karaoke every day here to spend that much money. I bet most people are in the 5000 baht range... 500-1000 baht guest house, 300 baht food, 300-1000 baht alcohol, 500 baht shopping.

If any potential foreign tourist from my own country asked me whether it was worth visiting CM at this time, I would categorically tell them to stay at home and avoid this parade of mindlessness.....

• Like 1

Right on the money Blazes. I would also tell them its a form of water torture. My brain is still pounding from the bass booming out of the speakers across the road for 4 straight days. I stayed up till 3 in the morning for 4 days enjoying the peaceful of the night and shuddering because I knew what 9.30 in the morning would bring. This morning I woke up with a smile on my face for the first time in 4 days.

• Like 2

Right on the money Blazes. I would also tell them its a form of water torture. My brain is still pounding from the bass booming out of the speakers across the road for 4 straight days. I stayed up till 3 in the morning for 4 days enjoying the peaceful of the night and shuddering because I knew what 9.30 in the morning would bring. This morning I woke up with a smile on my face for the first time in 4 days.

The older I get the less tolerant I become with noise!

Not all foreigners see it this way...some believe the Chinese invasion of Chiang Mai University...is by far more interesting...watch your step please...

Edited by ggt

Yeah, its the cultural hub of hubs where they arrest back-backers on a 2 day stay for singing at an open mic night for working without work permits. When the clowns run the circus...

hight of stupidity! traveling thousand of miles and spendign a lot of money to get wet!

I would.

And so do many others. I have several friends who aren't based in Chiang Mai but who make an effort to be here specifically during Songkran.

Spending 16K-30K does seem like a lot, but they don't really do surveys and statistics correct for anything usually. Not sure why that is.

• 2 weeks later...