Student stabs 5 to death at Canada party

webfact

Student stabs 5 to death at Canada party

CALGARY: -- A University of Calgary student has been charged in the fatal stabbing of five people at a house party that the police chief called the worst mass slaying in the western Canadian city's history.

Matthew Douglas de Grood, the son of a 33-year veteran of the Calgary police force, picked up a large knife shortly after arriving at the party on Tuesday and stabbed the victims one by one, said police Chief Rick Hanson.

De Grood, 22, was charged with five counts of murder late on Tuesday.

"This is the worst murder - mass murder - in Calgary's history," Hanson said at a news conference. "We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."

The attack in the western Canadian city came nearly a week after a teenage boy in the US stabbed and wounded 21 students at his high school outside Pittsburgh.

Full story: http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-world/student-stabs-5-to-death-at-canada-party-20140416-36r82.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-04-16

^^^ They already are, pocket knives anyways! But guess what, the scum who attack people wouldn't care if there's a law or not, law abiding citizens will now leave their knives at home if they were carrying them for personal protection. So I don't see these laws doing any good to anyone but criminals who now can be pretty sure of no resistance at all if they try to mug someone.

I do carry a small swiss army knife in my pickup's glove box, just because it is useful at times, won't do much good for self protection though. Technically can get me into troubles but I'm not leaving it behind.

There are many common household tools and things that can be used as a weapon, can't make everything illegal...

• Like 1

^^^ They already are, pocket knives anyways! But guess what, the scum who attack people wouldn't care if there's a law or not, law abiding citizens will now leave their knives at home if they were carrying them for personal protection. So I don't see these laws doing any good to anyone but criminals who now can be pretty sure of no resistance at all if they try to mug someone.

I do carry a small swiss army knife in my pickup's glove box, just because it is useful at times, won't do much good for self protection though. Technically can get me into troubles but I'm not leaving it behind.

There are many common household tools and things that can be used as a weapon, can't make everything illegal...

They should have known better than to have sharp knives in their kitchen. Haven't they heard of takeout?

Tragic event.

There are no shortage of things that can be used to kill.

Time to make knives illegal in Canada....

I am almost sure there is an Amerkin connection...has he traveled to the US in the last three years...received butcher knife training with the NRA...had email contact with those who claim knives are a hobby...can we track his cell phone activity to known cutlery marketers...can we send in a drone strike...?

• Like 1

Let's have some information relating to ANY previous psychiatric issues and possible prescriptions for them.

I am keenly interested in the correlation between SSRI's and mass killings of this type.

Betcha Big Pharma will be right there protecting the young suspect's privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Look at the quotes from the lawyer and the family regarding Matt's mental problems.

The young man was a prime candidate for SSRI therapy.

Looks like Big Pharma has a serious problem on their hands.

These psychotropics have been involved in nearly EVERY mass shooting, mass killing, mother/child infanticide and military suicide since Prozac hit the market 25 years ago.

If the Canadians can recall anti-inflammatory medication like Celebrex they can investigate this.

BUT

Watch for a big media rush to protect the confidentiality of Matt's medical records and of course, to preserve the sanctity of the grieving process of all concerned.

Early call: I put this one squarely on the over-prescription of SSRI's

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.th%252F

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

screwdriver ;)

Yes, the weapon is secondary consideration. State of mind is primary, and it may well be tied to pharma or street drugs. Or it may have been a jealous rage, or profound embarrassment. The human mind has incredible potential for greatness, and just as much so for senseless harm. Our greatest asset and also our biggest drawback. But it's not just human to human harm being done. Every minute, humans are harming the environment, and all the flora and fauna that's tied in with it.

• Like 1

Look at the quotes from the lawyer and the family regarding Matt's mental problems.

These psychotropics have been involved in nearly EVERY mass shooting, mass killing, mother/child infanticide and military suicide since Prozac hit the market 25 years ago.

If the Canadians can recall anti-inflammatory medication like Celebrex they can investigate this.

BUT

Watch for a big media rush to protect the confidentiality of Matt's medical records and of course, to preserve the sanctity of the grieving process of all concerned.

Your speculation is frightening, let the Crown get on with it and disclose what's appropriate. Big Pharma is not the same in Canada as it is in the USA - I should know I'm a Canadian Pharmacist.

BUT

Your speculation is frightening, let the Crown get on with it and disclose what's appropriate. Big Pharma is not the same in Canada as it is in the USA - I should know I'm a Canadian Pharmacist.

@Tod

I suggest you Google this.

You have a professional interest.

Big Pharma is pretty much the same everywhere.

These GLOBAL enterprises are up to their chins in survival issues ranging from expiring patents on big moneymakers, virtually blackmailing governments to start vaccination programs for diseases that have fewer victims worldwide than a Thai Songkran holiday and the very real co-relation between SSRI's and events such as the Calgary tragedy.

I don't know how you can claim that these global pharmaceutical giants operate any differently in your country than they would anywhere else. They are pushing identical product in order to make profits. In countries with socialized medicine (like Canada) Big Pharma has to romance the Feds and the Provincial health officials as well as the physicians.

Big Pharma is no angel.

When someone goes beserk with a weapon (includes bombings) - it's so hard to take precautions against that. Is it happening more often in recent times, or has it always been that way with modern humans? I ask that Q seriously.

What to do if you have kids? Advise them not to go to a party? Not to go to the market? ...not to walk down the sidewalk? Weird world, and getting a bit sadder for youngsters. When I was 5 years old, I took trains by myself in France - to go to the swim pool, or day camp or the library, or whatever. Nowadays, I'd be concerned if a 5 yr old were just playing with wood blocks in a fenced yard adjoining the house.

• Like 1

Let's keep in mind that this thread is about a stabbing and not specifically about the pharmaceutical industry.

Thank you, I am not a defender of big pharma, far from it actually, that's what makes Canada unique. The industry is NOT the same & speculating on how things are done in Canada with patient care is not appropriate.

The events leading up to this tradegy will hopefully be released in due course.

• Like 1

So many many lives simply devastated as a result of a moment of sheer madness. All the young people, right at the start of the best years of their lives, happy one moment, snuffed out the next. The pain being felt by the parents (including the parents of the murderer) is beyond calculation. The whole thing is terrible. Canada must be in shock. RIP.

• Like 2

BUT

The problem here is determining whether guy was psycho killer without medication or because of medication. We have had psycho mass murderers throughout history and before SSRIs.

Media does not rush to protect medical records. Hospitals, doctors and health care workers cannot disseminate to third parties without violating health information privacy act rights.

Those needing the records for investigation purposes such law enforcement and lawyers for families will have easy access to his medical records.

SSRIs help a lot of people. The problem with SSRIs is that they may be prescribed to those who symptoms may be hormone or xy/ pituitary axis related.

SSRIs, in my view, can exacerbate symptoms in those having xy issues resulting in increased depression or psychosis. This problem arises when GPs prescribe SSRIs without a full and complete endocrine/hormone evaluation to determine whether a hormone imbalance may be causing symptoms. Low T, high prolactin and etc. may be exacerbated by SSRIs.

Edited by F430murci

Very sad.

U of C was home for most of my party years, I don't recall any violence from those days. Times have changed

Condolonces to friends and family.

I think there is a lot more societal pressure on children these days. Even in the mid 80s, college is easy to get in. Take the ACT once, even hung over, no problem. Check. Never study, never take book homes, get Bs and a few As and still get in tier 1s and professional schools post graduate. Colleges were dirt cheap. Jobs easy to find after graduation.

My oldest daughters each took ACT muliple times after first time 32 and 33, just to get above that magic 34. Only 1 B between the both if them in high school at one of the most challenging private schools in the state. Pressure on them was ridiculous and the process for getting money at top schools was unbelievably competitive and difficult.

Colleges are running 45,000 to 65,000 a year. Kids are strapping themselves with immense debt to pay for college only to find the job market problematic and facing large college loans. The pressure to succeed, or just survive, is immense compared to 20 years ago. I feel for kids these days. A complete hurry up or get left behind atmosphere and mid pack no longer cuts in in the professional world.

Edited by F430murci

Very sad.

U of C was home for most of my party years, I don't recall any violence from those days. Times have changed

I think there is a lot more societal pressure on children these days. Even in the mid 80s, college is easy to get in. Take the ACT once, even hung over, no problem. Check. Never study, never take book homes, get Bs and a few As and still get in tier 1s and professional schools post graduate. Colleges were dirt cheap. Jobs easy to find after graduation.

My oldest daughters each took ACT muliple times after first time 32 and 33, just to get above that magic 34. Only 1 B between the both if them in high school at one of the most challenging private schools in the state. Pressure on them was ridiculous and the process for getting money at top schools was unbelievably competitive and difficult.

Colleges are running 45,000 to 65,000 a year. Kids are strapping themselves with immense debt to pay for college only to find the job market problematic and facing large college loans. The pressure to succeed, or just survive, is immense compared to 20 years ago. I feel for kids these days. A complete hurry up or get left behind atmosphere and mid pack no longer cuts in in the professional world.

I would agree, our youth feel more pressure today than 20 years ago & no one knows the answer. These sad events highlight the need for our generation to listen and learn to their concerns.

Please note, College is a trade school and University is academic in Canada. The sums you mentioned do not apply in any Province. My two nephews are currently enrolled in one of the top Unis in the country for less than 8K p.a including books. Obviously there is pressure to do well and secure a well paying job or career but the burden is on the taxpayer not the student.

Further off topic posts (and replies to them) have been removed.

A clear instruction was made to stick to the topic already, which is not about the pharmaceutical industry.

Please stay on topic, or open a new topic in the health forum if you want to discuss something health related.

• Like 1

Very sad.

People have been dealing with pressure since the dawn of time. Accessing and surviving higher education has been nearly impossible to some people in all ages, (personally I found it very easy, and the best time of my life). But everyone has a different story and a different set of tools. Humans don't stab their friends to death at a party, no matter what they are dealing with.

Edited by canuckamuck