Transfer Fees

Well it looks like that we may buy that suzuki vitara that I posted about. Is in very good nick having been maintained by an embassy here. Was primarily in diplomatic hands, and serviced well given who the owners were, so I am happy. Past the 7 year mark, so it can be sold on to plebs like me.

anyhoo, was just wondering, are there any transfer fees that needed to be paid when transfering ownership of a car? If so, how much do they amount to, and like when buying a house, who pays?

Cheers in advance.

Well it looks like that we may buy that suzuki vitara that I posted about. Is in very good nick having been maintained by an embassy here. Was primarily in diplomatic hands, and serviced well given who the owners were, so I am happy. Past the 7 year mark , so it can be sold on to plebs like me.

anyhoo, was just wondering, are there any transfer fees that needed to be paid when transfering ownership of a car? If so, how much do they amount to, and like when buying a house, who pays?

Cheers in advance.

Samran

Are you implying there is some obscure law preventing farangs from buying secondhand cars younger than 7 years old, or just that no Thai will buy a car that is 7 years old :o

Nah,

Diplomatic plated cars are imported duty free, so get them very very cheap. The trade off is they aren't allowed to sell them to the general public for 7 years, otherwise the full import duty has to be paid.

I'm can't justify a new car at the moment, (or even one under 7 years of age :o ). I just need a run about. I used to have one and it spent most of the time in the garage, so I figured a good second hand one would do. And with a new bubs in tow, I can't trust taxi drivers any more. If I started driving once a day rather than once a week, then an new one would be in order, but that ain't the case for now. Plus, I've got better black holes to throw my money, like a weeks skiing in Switzerland!