Muay Thai justice for brawlers seen as a rights violation

webfact

HUMAN RIGHTS
Muay Thai justice for brawlers seen as a rights violation

The Nation

30231585-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday said Buriram Football Club president Newin Chidchob's idea to bring on stage the youngsters, who had reportedly been fist fighting during the club's Songkran celebrations, to fight with professional Muay Thai boxers, was a rights violation.

The free-style matches without referee reflected the Thai society's issue of people often resorting to the use of violence and violated the five youngsters' rights and liberty, if such fights resulted to injuries or deaths, NHRC member Niran Pitakwatchara said.

Newin also wasn't a court judge to decide and punish the wrongdoing of people with such a method, ever though such action might be done by Newin's good intention.

The country had a law and justice procedure to cover this matter, he added.

Niran said individuals injured in the boxing ring could file lawsuits because this was regarded as a criminal case.

He went on that if these individuals and relatives wanted the NHRC to investigate, they had to file an official request for NHRC probe, or, the NHRC could table this matter for consideration.

Should there be a request, the NHRC would carry out a fact-finding inquiry from both sides first and police would also be invited to explain what happened, as to ensure justice, he explained.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-17

Newin hasn't been in the headlines since 2009, when he fueled the flames of problems, while Red Shirts stormed a hotel in Pattaya. He's a thug who doesn't have any uplifting ideas to go with his political power. He was a Thaksin adulator when it was advantageous to be one, and he left the Thaksin fold when it was not advantageous to remain sitting at Thaksin's feet. He's an example of why it's difficult to get decent leadership material in Thailand.

Are you saying that they all have many colored shirts in their closets? No way. That would be......cheating maybe....

I believe Newin warned the crowd what to expect if they wish to cause trouble at a family event that shouldn't be marred by violence.

These idiots who ended up getting seven bells knocked out of them deserved all they got for brawling at a family orientated event.

Boo hoo. Rights have been violated? Tough, and hopefully the same will occur next year. These selfish young hot heads should fight away from families or face the consequences. A better lesson than a 500 baht fine.

Could not disagree more.

• Like 1

Respect the rights of the victims, before respecting the rights of any criminals. I'm voting for the "eye for an eye" justice plan.

The old "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and we we all be blind and toothless" plan????

Respect the rights of the victims, before respecting the rights of any criminals. I'm voting for the "eye for an eye" justice plan.

The old "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and we we all be blind and toothless" plan????

Sure, why not? Criminals in many countries (including the UK in its current "nanny" state) seem to be given "more" rights nowadays than anyone else.

• Like 1

Sure, why not? Criminals in many countries (including the UK in its current "nanny" state) seem to be given "more" rights nowadays than anyone else.

Did you just make a little mistake?

Because "we will all be blind and toothless"? That's Gandhi's version and is in direct criticism of the Jewish proverb which I presume you prefer. LOL

It's the new liberal agenda:

Hate is Love

War is Peace

Injustice is Justice

Very 1984-esque. Arrest and punish the victim. Release and compensate the criminal.

And if you are in the upper 1% the new mantra is "Too big to prosecute."

As Matt Taibbi wrote in the Rolling Stone, “the U.S. Justice Department granted a total walk to executives of the British-based bank HSBC for the largest drug-and-terrorism money-laundering case ever. Yes, they issued a fine – $1.9 billion, or about five weeks’ profit – but they didn’t extract so much as one dollar or one day in jail from any individual, despite a decade of stupefying abuses.”

Personally, I'd like to see Jamie Dimon and Alan Keir in a Muay Thai beatdown with Sagetdao Petpaiyathai and Kem Sitsongpeenong in the ring.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the US, criminals are coddled, in some ways better than middle class wage earners. Criminals have health care, dental care, 3 ok meals a day, clean bedding provided, satellite TV. Last I heard, it costs taxpayers as much as $50k/year to house one criminal in the US. Edited by boomerangutang

Yeah, very brave. Having a professional Muay thai boxer kick the sh*t out of someone with limited fighting skills. The Newton should get in the ring first to show how much of a man he is. Pathetic. Under these circumstances, I hope the Human Rights Commission gets invovled.

Edited by connda

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the US, criminals are coddled, in some ways better than middle class wage earners. Criminals have health care, dental care, 3 ok meals a day, clean bedding provided, satellite TV. Last I heard, it costs taxpayers as much as $50k/year to house one criminal in the US.

What an awful thing to say. 1 in 20 has been raped and there are over 3000 unnecessary deaths inside the prisons per year, the majority being suicide, prisoners are subjected to levels of violence in prison found nowhere else in the developed world. But then we are talking about America, is it a developed country? I guess now you've got Obama care it's one step closer but the prison system has to change to make many in the world regard it be so. You were right about it being expensive though, I guess that's what you get if you sell out to the profiteers, freedom, don't you just love it?