How to get rid of toads

I have a residential property and have my cover over my bike. When I lift the cover there is a big fat toad sitting under it.

I pick up the toad and throw it over the 2 meter high perimeter wall, but the next day the toad will be in the same place again.

This is going on for more than 2 weeks now, and don't think I had more than 14 toads on my property that are waiting their chance to get under the cover, so I suspect it's every day the same toad that returns.

I don't like those creepy bastards, so how do I finally get rid of it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what , pray tell,has a frog on a bike got to do with farming, ????

Well the frog is not on the bike, it's under the cover, probably to keep itself hided. The reason I posted in the farmers forum is that I expect that farmers have more experience with toads than bankers would have.

• Like 1

I have never met any real farmers in Thailand that mind toads or do anything to get rid of them. I don't like it when they get into my shoes expecially when there are 2 and have been doing their toad business in there (I keep my shoes well of the ground now, but we like anything that eats bugs.

I expect that farmers have more experience with toads than bankers would have.

'And what makes to think so?

Lots of farmers think banksters are toads.

Lots of the non farming folk think banksters are toads.

Farmers have a way with toads. They take a sharp knife, split them from chin to anus, skin them and display them for public consumption. In mounds. Large mounds.

Try Klong Toey market, Bangkok. Large mounds of skinned toads.smile.png

Regards.

• Like 1

What do you want? Lots of bugs, mozzies, and crawly things or one fat happy frog?

It's a toad.

Big ugly things that sit there like they own the place!

I have thrown many over my wall into the mango tree.

(No, empty land not a neighbour.. :D)

Never took the time to dump them on the other side of Rt 36 like the tookays I catch.

Early evening after a rain shower seems to be a good time to collect them, along with the snails......

• Like 1

Bring in an Isan family for a weekend to clean out the population. Guaranteed more effective than other pest control options. However, have you thought of what the toad might provide in terms of ecological services at your property? For example, toads may eat larvae and eggs of breeding mosquitoes and help to reduce them in and around your house. Having a good number of them around may reduce your mosquito infestation during the upcoming wet season.

We were sitting on the floor of the living room eating dinner last night. A big ass toad just came strolling along through the living room. I sat there with this surprised look on my face. Paw looked at me and started laughing. He said "bor pen yang", not a problem as long as he keeps on heading out the door. We have them all over the place around here and I like it. They eat a ton of bugs and crawlies. Grosses me out when I step on one though.

Toads are natives, you're not! Why don't you toss yourself over the 2m high fence and go back to your sterile country!

Amazing that it took 10 replies for the "if you don't like it you should leave" brigade to enter a thread with a very innocent question.coffee1.gif

What's innocent about being cruel to animals?

My Aussie friends tell me a 3 wood works a treat! But theirs are the nasty variety. Here, I see them as simply one pest that gets rid of many, many others.

I made a small cricket bat, and try to whack the toads across my irrigation pond - so the fish get a feed as well.

They don't really bother me unless they hide between the plates in the washing-up rack, and sh1t everywhere - and then they are fish-food.

Frogs and the "Ung-Ang"s on the other hand, get removed by the Thai neighbours and cooked for lunch, although they won't even touch the toads.

So, do any of you actually know the difference between a frog and a toad? Apparently not, which makes most of what is written above meaningless.

What the ....?

Apart from a few minor anatomical differences they are pretty much the same.

But that's from my school biology days.

Perhaps my education had some shortcomings. Please enlighten me.

Maybe anybody else posting could be specific and say whether their advice is only for frogs, only toads or both :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by sean in udon

well I see that some of the mustier denizens of the Thaivisa general topics page have decided to wreak havoc on the farming forum. Google it man, toads are poisonous or uneatable and stay away from water for most of the time..... Doesn't matter but the terms frog and toad have been freely used as if they were interchangeable.