Buying a 2nd hand motorbike, legalities

tropico

I have a question regarding the right procedures while selling a motorbike.

A friend of mine bought a bike and did not transfer the ownership from the previous owner. He left Thailand and asked me if I could sell the motorbike for him. All the papers are in place beside this power of attorney kind of document that says that the bike was sold to my friend, and he had the right to change the ownership, but he didn't.

I have found a buyer and so I am going to give him this document that have my friend name on it, so if the buyer would want to change the ownership I guess he could not because power of attorney was given to my friend. Is that correct?

What should I do?

Thanks

He should have an ownership transfer document that is signed by the previous owner, along with a signed copy of the previous onwer's ID card, as well as the green registration booklet.

With that you can transfer it to anyone's nameI think? (Someone pls. confirm)

Suggest you do that asap.

• Like 1

He should have an ownership transfer document that is signed by the previous owner, along with a signed copy of the previous onwer's ID card, as well as the green registration booklet.

With that you can transfer it to anyone's nameI think? (Someone pls. confirm)

Suggest you do that asap.

yes exactly, I have these documents. There is this paper that you mentioned with the Thai owner name and his ID and my friend name that bought the bike last.

I do not know what kind of bike's documentation you have, but I believe that you can sell a bike if you have the green book., considering I did without the former owner intervention. I had also its signed selling papers with copy of its ID card

I bought a second hand bike, I never transfer it in my name, and I sold it 4 months later. That was 8 months ago. The buyer was a Thai man, the bike was 17000THB paid in cash, and its have my phone number. If he had any problem probably I will know already.

Edited by umbanda

Thanks a lot for the information. I feel responsible for this even though I am just helping a friend and I have nothing to do with it. But since its my face out there I would to make sure that the buyer has no problems.

tell us again what documents u have?

most important is the green book.....also whose name is listed as the current owner in the book

the thai guy or your buddy?.......do u have a signed copy of the owners ID?

there should be 2 sheets of a4...one is the transfer document and the other is the power of attorney

if present are these signed?

tell us again what documents u have?

most important is the green book.....also whose name is listed as the current owner in the book

the thai owner is on the book

the thai guy or your buddy?.......do u have a signed copy of the owners ID?

yes i have the signed copy of owner id

there should be 2 sheets of a4...one is the transfer document and the other is the power of attorney

i have these 2 sheets

if present are these signed?

They are signed by my friend and the shop owner i guess

This depends, I have a bike I bought and ripped it apart for the engine, swing arm, and brakes.

I still have the green book for this bike, HOWEVER, I also have a photocopied ID and signature on blank docs from the previous owner. All I have to do is fill in the info to transfer it, as long as their ID is still valid, and it is until 2018.

If you have similar documentation like I do, you can simply sell the bike and then the new owner fills them in and brings em to the transport office.