Where to buy weightlifting equipment in Chiang Mai?

Josh88

I'm looking to buy a few 10kg plates as well as an olympic bar and some bumper plates. Where in Chiang Mai can I find these, and if possible what type of prices would I be looking at? I looked at Central today but nowhere had any plates heavier than 5kg, let alone olympic bars/bumper plates. There must be somewhere in Chiang Mai that sells legitimate weightlifting equipment though, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Central Kad suan keuw has plates of all sizes including 10kg and maybe even a bit bigger, but not Olympic. There is a sports shop just over the cross roads (North) from the Three kings monument, has all sizes also, but not Olympic.

There is a shop heading towards the airport plaza from the South west corner of the moat (just after the Orange market stalls) that sells better gear, including Olympic bars / plates, or he could certainly order for you. I havent been in tthis shop for while though, may not even still open. Be prepared to pay big money for any equipment you buy here though. It is well over priced.

Thanks for the suggestion for the 10kg plates, I'll definitely check that out.

My experience so far has been like you said, everything is really overpriced, and that's only with basic equipment. I'm a little scared to find out how much they'll be charging for olympic stuff, which isn't cheap in the US. I'll try and find that shop next time I'm in the area though and see what the prices are like. Thanks again.

You may want to have a look at this place in BKK... www.ultimatefitnessthailand.com

phukethealthshop.com also used to seel powertec stuff and olympic weight sets at a good price, but I believe they have stopped. But may be worth getting in touch.

I reckon you might have a hard time buying what you're looking for here in Chiang Mai, Bangkok would be your best bet. My advise would be to check out Crossfit Chiang Mai and ask the owner where he bought his Olympic bar and bumper plates, also I believe the 700 year stadium has a proper weightlifting setup so you might want to try there as well. I would be surprised if they got their gear anywhere other than Bangkok but you never know...

Good Luck!

I didn't realize there was a Crossfit gym in Chiang Mai, that might be worth a look.

As far as buying online/Bangkok, I guess I just assumed that wasn't worth it because of the generally high price of shipping weights. If I can't find what I'm looking for here or the prices are just too high it might be the best way to go though. I actually shipped about 50kg of weights from Nakhon Sawan recently and it was only ~500 baht because I was able to use flat rate boxes, but somehow I doubt that will be possible with bigger olympic stuff, especially if I'm not packing and shipping it myself.

I'm going to check out the store wildpikey suggested first and see if I have any luck there. If not then I'll ask the Crossfit guy and look into places in Bangkok.

• 1 month later...