Changing Over to TOT Fiber from ADSL Service !

sub101uk

I am just about to upgrade from the standard TOT ADSL service to Fiber so I was looking for some advice , I understand you cannot use your own Fiber router you must buy the TOT one , I understand there are 2 available one with Wifi and one without both are made by FORTH .

Now I understand that the TOT engineer will not give you the access codes which is going to a pain having there engineer coming over to reset and change passwords and things .

So my question is can I buy just there basic router and connect in bridge to my current router a Dray Tek Vigor 2820Vn or my old TP link TD-8961ND it sounds straight forward but I wonder what others have found since TOT have been doing fiber for some time . From the people I have spoken to who bought the TOT modem /router / WiFi have said the TOT Fiber service is much better even at busy times however it would be better to have access to gear since at the moment the only way to change things is to get the TOT engineer back which is going to take time plus the cost of the engineer or am I just better off sticking with the good old 13 Mb ADSL line until TOT give you the choice of buying your own gear or giving you the codes to have access theres.

Thanks for reading

sub101uk

I just last week switched over from TOT's adsl to their Fiber 2U (ftth) service.

No offer on choice of equipment, they just delivered a ZTE F620 GPON optical fiber Bridge/Route+Voice [ 4 Gb Ethernet ports + 2POTS ports (VoIP/SIP phone) ]

T1sXdTXtdeXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_160x

This version doesn't include WiFi. The TOT technician then took the previous TOT supplied TP-Link-8901G adsl/WiFi, disconnected the adsl RJ-11 phone cable and reconfigured the box to BRIDGE MODE so it would act as a dumb WiFi Access Point, and used an Ethernet to connect it to the ZTE F620 fiber optic router.

I had to ask first for the IP address and user/pass to access the WiFi, and again for the user/pass to the ZTE. No problem, but then I had to specifically ask for each. They are the TOT standard generic user/pass.

I've since swapped out the TP-Link WiFi for an N-capable Belkin and reconfigured the DHCP Server on the ZTE. So far no issues, but then it's only been a week.

Hi RichCor

Thanks for the reply and information regarding your experiences , When I went to the local TOT office they show me what seem to be a modem /Router with Wifi as it had 2 antennas coming out the back . But from reading other feed back it seems that TOT dont like given you the codes so you could access the FORTH in your case sounds like you got lucky like you I will be using a third party N-capable Dray Tec for the WiFi .

By the sound of it I think I will have to wait and see what the engineer brings with him .

Thanks again

Sub101uk

Don't ask the TOT office, just ask the installation technicians. Give a tip to keep them happy.

I have CAT "On-Net" fiber optic and they gave me the user name / password.

They also connected the FREE CAT Huawei fiber optic modem/router to my ASUS ADSL modem/router for better wi-fi coverage, and disabled the Huawai wi-fi.

Yup taiping. We just got TOT FTTX.

The Forth GPO-5900W works reasonably well on wireless, 4 gigabit ports, we don't have the version with POTS ports (we both have mobiles).

Our pet TOT engineer left me the codes to access the router without asking (he actually set it up like our old wifi point), but he does know that I know what I'm doing.

I have had tot fibre optic connection for probably two years I pay for 20 mg down and 3mg up

We had to pay for them to bring it about 4kms to us

In thailand it generally works quite well but venture outside thailand and speed is generally way way down

I believe TOt gave us all the various access codes, we have wireless router, but have been some things like IP TV work better with ethernet connection

I have their basic IP tv we tried the platinum package but it was expensive and not so good

Recently we took Expaat TV, bought their android box at it is excellent and not expensive around 10 UK channels

We also have apple tv, so in all we have three boxes

I complain from time to time to TOT about the speed they come and look but not much happens, a guarenteed 10 mbs and I would be happy

Private message me if you wish and I will give you my tel no

We live 30 kms east of Khon Kaen

I also acknowledge I live in thailand and things work slower here

We also switched over to Fiber2U last week. My old wifi modem's ports stopped working long ago so we bought the D-Link wifi modem from TOT. A good move as within two days our connection speed dropped from 10 mb to just under 2mb.

The engineers came out and checked everything (the ZTE modem was OK but the D-Link had a problem). They replaced it there and then and explained that if we would have bought the modem somewhere else there's nothing they could do apart from from telling us to take it back.

The Fiber2U does seem to be slightly better than the ADSL connection.

I wonder why some people, even if working online need fiber ?

And how much does it costs ?

No landline, we moved from WiNet which was mostly ok, but sometimes off for days when the tower took a lightning hit. Currently only two subscribers on the trunk to the village.

25/3 is about 1500 a month.

Thanks guys for all the feed back , I think like Taiping has said give the engineer a nice tip and he will give you the codes , I dare say in the years to come TOT will let you install your own Fiber Router in the same way that BT does as there Hubs that they sell are not to good but it all comes in with the package However the way I understand it at the moment you can only use these Forth modems .I think all I can do is wait and see .

ADSL works fine at 3am when very few people are on I do get all most get what I pay for a 13 Mb down load speeds but normal times it drops to any thing from 5 - 8 mb so I hope with Fiber its going to be worth the change over .

Thanks again

Sub101uk

Edited by sub101uk

I have had tot fibre optic connection for probably two years I pay for 20 mg down and 3mg up

We had to pay for them to bring it about 4kms to us

In thailand it generally works quite well but venture outside thailand and speed is generally way way down

I believe TOt gave us all the various access codes, we have wireless router, but have been some things like IP TV work better with ethernet connection

I have their basic IP tv we tried the platinum package but it was expensive and not so good

Recently we took Expaat TV, bought their android box at it is excellent and not expensive around 10 UK channels

We also have apple tv, so in all we have three boxes

I complain from time to time to TOT about the speed they come and look but not much happens, a guarenteed 10 mbs and I would be happy

Private message me if you wish and I will give you my tel no

We live 30 kms east of Khon Kaen

I also acknowledge I live in thailand and things work slower here

Like you, I live outside the city (Udon)....now depend on ADSL, but would like to switch to fiber. It's available, but about 2km away. Can you tell me how much you paid to bring the cable to your home?

Thanks

I wonder why some people, even if working online need fiber ?

And how much does it costs ?

Hi I had adsl until I qualified for True fibre optic update after a few years of paying for the very poor adsl service. After years of rebooting

a very unresponable server they (true fibre) installed a very efficient router and the new improved fibre optic is so much an improvement.

I ran speedtest and got the most impressive results so far.

More than happy.

I have a few apartments & the custumers are more than happy with their Wi-Fi

cheers

Edited by roger007

Hi Kokesaat I am paying them nothing for the fiber to the apartment , But I am only about 1km from the main feed , The only problem is I live on the top floor which is 9 foors up its allready going to the 7th floor so I dont see any problem going a few floors up .The only cost to me is this Forth Modem which i think is just over 2000 Baht other wise I still pay the same 738 Baht a month .

I bought myself a smart TV last year so I could watch stuff on Youtube and its very hit and miss with ADSL so I do hope that with Fiber it should be a better link .

Thanks again for all the feed back , Oh yes sorry Kokesat it wont be possible to meet up as I am right down in the south of Thailand not far from Yala .

Cheers

Sub101uk

Edited by sub101uk

I just last week switched over from TOT's adsl to their Fiber 2U (ftth) service.

No offer on choice of equipment, they just delivered a ZTE F620 GPON optical fiber Bridge/Route+Voice [ 4 Gb Ethernet ports + 2POTS ports (VoIP/SIP phone) ]

T1sXdTXtdeXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_160x

This version doesn't include WiFi. The TOT technician then took the previous TOT supplied TP-Link-8901G adsl/WiFi, disconnected the adsl RJ-11 phone cable and reconfigured the box to BRIDGE MODE so it would act as a dumb WiFi Access Point, and used an Ethernet to connect it to the ZTE F620 fiber optic router.

I had to ask first for the IP address and user/pass to access the WiFi, and again for the user/pass to the ZTE. No problem, but then I had to specifically ask for each. They are the TOT standard generic user/pass.

I've since swapped out the TP-Link WiFi for an N-capable Belkin and reconfigured the DHCP Server on the ZTE. So far no issues, but then it's only been a week.

Remember the time when it simply meant going to the post office and buying a stamp......God be with the uncomplicated days.

Edited by dotpoom

A few answers;

1. Of course your landline number stays the same.

2. They do provide all the logins for all their fiber boxes, both the admin and super admin logins

3. my ToT 35/5 fiber is faster than my 50/5 true docsys on the international links by miles .. (details in another thread)

4. They installed two boxes here (fiber distribution box - rack mounted or shelf and a fiber huawei 4 port modem router with wifi [multi ssid if you want too])

All in all I am most impressed with ToT Fiber

Edited by joncl

For those switching from TOT DSL to TOT fiber, do you get to keep your fixed-line telephone number/service?

It's optional. I had 2 TOT landlines, one with ADSL and one without. I dropped the one with ADSL and kept the other POTS only line .

I have the ZTE660 which does have WiFi, though I now have it in bridge mode so that is disabled.

A couple of comments;

If you want to put the Fibre device into bridge mode so only using it as a GPON and then connecting your own router, only the TOT network centre can do that. Also there is no configuration to do at all to do on the ZTE after doing a factory reset. I spent hours trying to get it into bridge the night after it was installed (in regular routing mode) but couldn't. When the TOT tech came the next day I did a factory reset on the ZTE while he was on the phone to the network centre and a few seconds later my DD-WRT router got a WAN IP address via PPPoE.

With bridge mode, you will need a reasonably powerful router. Initially I just connected with a DD-WRT flashed Linksys that had been bridged to my old ADSL connection. It could only manage about 50Mb/s throughput (the package is 75/10) but after I switched it over to a RT-N16 it now shows about 90Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up.

The login for the ZTE is just the standard admin/admin. The TOT tech didn't seem to mind in the slightest when I wanted to know that so I could change the LAN IP address etc.

If you don't have previous experience with FTTX (like me) and you want to play around with settings in the ZTE, it might pay to back-up the config file through Administration/System Management. Then if you do something wrong you can just do a factory reset and restore the saved config.bin file. That only applies to non-bridged since bridged works out of the box anyway.

I have the ZTE660 which does have WiFi, though I now have it in bridge mode so that is disabled.

A couple of comments;

If you want to put the Fibre device into bridge mode so only using it as a GPON and then connecting your own router, only the TOT network centre can do that. Also there is no configuration to do at all to do on the ZTE after doing a factory reset. I spent hours trying to get it into bridge the night after it was installed (in regular routing mode) but couldn't. When the TOT tech came the next day I did a factory reset on the ZTE while he was on the phone to the network centre and a few seconds later my DD-WRT router got a WAN IP address via PPPoE.

With bridge mode, you will need a reasonably powerful router. Initially I just connected with a DD-WRT flashed Linksys that had been bridged to my old ADSL connection. It could only manage about 50Mb/s throughput (the package is 75/10) but after I switched it over to a RT-N16 it now shows about 90Mb/s down and 12Mb/s up.

The login for the ZTE is just the standard admin/admin. The TOT tech didn't seem to mind in the slightest when I wanted to know that so I could change the LAN IP address etc.

If you don't have previous experience with FTTX (like me) and you want to play around with settings in the ZTE, it might pay to back-up the config file through Administration/System Management. Then if you do something wrong you can just do a factory reset and restore the saved config.bin file. That only applies to non-bridged since bridged works out of the box anyway.

I also bridged my router but it was a huawei router and it had bridge mode on it that I could set.

Result a much more stable connection as before but the router I bought was one of the most expensive i ever bought but it holds many features i can use in my business. (sharing extra drives on the network connecting to other routers to sinc data ect)

But I already heard that the huawei modem the gave was crap.

As I mentioned before I use the supplied CAT Huawei fiber-optic modem/router in bridge mode to my ASUS ADSL router for better wi-fi coverage.

I have the access code to the Huawei (from the CAT techs) from my Windows 7 PC but not for the ASUS.

Does anyone know how I can access the ASUS from my Windows 7 PC?

At present the PC is connected by LAN cable to the Huawei. A notebook is connected by LAN to the ASUS. Wi-fi is from the ASUS with thre Huawaei Wi-Fi disabled in the settings (no manual Wi-Fi switch).

As I mentioned before I use the supplied CAT Huawei fiber-optic modem/router in bridge mode to my ASUS ADSL router for better wi-fi coverage.

I have the access code to the Huawei (from the CAT techs) from my Windows 7 PC but not for the ASUS.

At present the PC is connected by LAN cable to the Huawei. A notebook is connected by LAN to the ASUS. Wi-fi is from the ASUS with thre Huawaei Wi-Fi disabled in the settings (no manual Wi-Fi switch).

In general that information is in the manual, however I had the Asus RT-AC68U delivered and there you had to set the password up yourself.

Have you ever used that asus before ? If so then you must have the password. You need to find out its IP adress so you can type that in the browser and get into the login screen.

In general that information is in the manual, however I had the Asus RT-AC68U delivered and there you had to set the password up yourself.

Have you ever used that asus before ? If so then you must have the password. You need to find out its IP adress so you can type that in the browser and get into the login screen.

The techs are usually instructed to set the IP address for external equipment to something like 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.240 or 192.168.1.250

If one of those don't work you could download an IP scanner that will try all IPs from .1 - .254, or you could just try running through the numbers yourself manually in a browser window ...if you don't get a response from the IP address within 5 seconds then move on to the next address. Oh, and try not to get caught.

Edited by RichCor

Hi RichCor - Thank you very much for your advice.

The IP address numbers you suggested did not work. The CAT Huawei has an IP address of 192.168.100.1

So I downloaded an IP scanner as you suggested. It is called ipscan22.exe.

From the listed IP addresses I could see 2 numbers for the ASUS, and the second one worked at 192.168.100.250

Problem solved !!

Hi RichCor - Thank you very much for your advice.

The IP address numbers you suggested did not work. The CAT Huawei has an IP address of 192.168.100.1

So I downloaded an IP scanner as you suggested. It is called ipscan22.exe.

From the listed IP addresses I could see 2 numbers for the ASUS, and the second one worked at 192.168.100.250

Problem solved !!

Good

your router from TOT the Huawei might be the same that i got from 3BB. Wow once i bridged it and put it on the ASUS RT AT 68 U my speeds went up became more stable skype was much better. Crazy that they can give out such a crap router. Ok the ASUS goes at around 9000bt but I would have loved just one router not a bridge that worked good.