Honesty Or Lies?

A question for guys who have tried to get a visa for a former bargirl?

It would seem that there are few posters on this board who have girlfriends who have worked as bargirls. My wife used to work in a bar and she did what most bargirls do. I don't publicise it but it's true. When I apply for a visa to the US there is a question on the form about prostitution. What do most posters whose girlfriends or wives worked in bars and slept with men for profit do when they see this question? I would guess most lie about it. That's the easy way for people who can lie. I don't like to lie, myself. My wife and I are pretty open about our past so we are planning to check 'yes' for that question. Are we nuts? Will my wife have a chance to explain her past?

By the way my wife only worked in a bar for one year. We also have a child together.

From US embassy's application for a vistor's visa:

"Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?"

Thanks for any opinions.

REPLY REGARDING THE UK. DOES NOT APPLY TO THE USA

There is no rule or law preventing bargirls and the like settling in the UK.

To test this in practice a friend phoned the Entry Clearance Manager at the British Embassy a few years ago in my presence to say his wife had been a prostitute so would this prevent her getting a visa.

The answer was clear : as long as all the normal requirements are met there should be no problem whatsoever.

Edited by topfield

Besides that BG's are not prostitutes in the western sense, they are courtesans and there is a slight difference between the two so technically you're not lying :o

Actually my friend intentionally used the word prostitute so she could test the Visa Manager to the extreme ! The Manager was actually quite amazed and taken aback as husbands don't often refer to their wife as an ex prostitite.

Instead of concluding the call rapidly as visa staff normally do the Manager was so astonished it was hard for my friend to get off the bloody phone...probably the first and last time anyone had been so frank with her ! Naturally my friend did not give his true name.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I would guess there are other posters who have experience with this. I will be going to the US embassy. If for some reason my wife gets rejected I will ask for a review. I'll take it back to the US if necessary to get action here in Thailand.

So many people on tourist visas just overstay their visas. These people were screened and the embassy staff gave them visas. Maybe when they catch people in other countries who have overstayed their visas they should record who gave them the visa in the first place. If they find five overstayers from one embassy staff member that staff member should be fired and banned from working in any embassy or office related to immigration.

When my wife applied for a visa for a one month trip to Canada, I remember her being angry at the fact that the embassy staff seemed to brand women applicants to be bargirls and then proceded to "strip them of that title" through questioning and paperwork. :o

Not all bargirls are business travellers. Embassy staff are looking for people who will abuse their visas; most people who overstay their visas are not bargirls. (Can't prove that though)

Just a thought....

Embassies don't ask applicants whether they have ever killed another human being. Why? Because sex is more important to them.

Killed a dozen members of the opposition party while in the military; no questions will be asked. Accidentally crashed your car into another car killing a family of seven ? No questions asked. The embassy doesn't care! Welcome to the USA.

Not all bargirls are business travellers. Embassy staff are looking for people who will abuse their visas; most people who overstay their visas are not bargirls. (Can't prove that though)

Just a thought....

Embassies don't ask applicants whether they have ever killed another human being. Why? Because sex is more important to them.

Killed a dozen members of the opposition party while in the military; no questions will be asked. Accidentally crashed your car into another car killing a family of seven ? No questions asked. The embassy doesn't care! Welcome to the USA.

I would just lie - call me a bad person but how woul dthey ever know! Having saw people lie through their teeth and get both fiance visas to the USA and settlement visas and subsequent passports to the UK I figure sometimes it is the best policy - despite what my Granny always said.

They will never know and well I am sure I have had thoughts about overthrowing the US government on occasions but I don't declare that on my landing card! (thats one of the questions and I am only joking!).

Great to see a bit of humour on this thread. Made me laugh anyway. Seriously, can anyone enlighten me as to what business it is to immigration whether the girl is a bar girl or works for Topps Department store (some no doubt do both !!). Is she somehow worse for being or having been a prostitute ?

Like Boppia says, they don't ask if you've done other things so why this obsession with sex?? What does it matter ? Beats me

The Yanks may have a hang up about this, but the UK don't care about an applicants past profession.

They do care about being lied to, though. If an applicant lies in any part of the application and is caught in that lie, then the ECO will have serious doubts about the rest of the application and evidence.

If applying to the UK, tell the truth. Having once been a bar girl wont mean a refusal, but lying about it will!