any recent info on Doi Chaang & Doi Wawee

jaideeguy

Just checking on what's happening up there now or recent trip reports. Search revealed an old thread from 2010. Wife has a friend up there and he says that there IS basic accommodation there, but Google doesn't mention it. Any details, preferably recent would be appreciated. And food options as well.............

Thanks in advance

I was at Doi Chaang this year and there seemed to be guest houses AND resort accommodation up there.

I live about 15kms from it.

I haven't been to WaWee for a couple of years but it's quite a large town, I would be very surprised if accommodation wasn't on offer.

Plenty of places selling Thai and hills tribe food with good Chinese in WaWee.

I did a topic on it a while back, I'll have a look for it.

Edited by sceadugenga

We were in both 2 months ago. As mentioned previously, accomodfations in Doi Chang are very good, Doi Wawee a tad rustic. Highway 3037 (about 3 km North of Mae Suai off Highway 118) is excellent all the way - although very curvey, of course.

• Like 1

Gee VF, what are those big white things up in the sky? I vaguely remember seeing something like that a long time ago. Why is the sky so blue? Sky is supposed to be a brownish-gray. I think maybe this was done in post processing. whistling.gif

I'm good but I am not that good. Just a different time of year. I copied those from page 11 on Images of Chiang Rai.

So, any tips on what to do and see up there in Doi Chang?? Can't say that the pics of

Doi Wawee look inviting ................no offence Scea, but thanks for posting anyway. Any pics of Doi Chang??

Like many things, the pleasure is in the journey more so than the arrival.

The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what’s in between, and they took great pleasure in doing just that.

Norton Juster

• Like 2

Dorothy - your'e not in Bangkok anymore...

Gee VF, what are those big white things up in the sky? I vaguely remember seeing something like that a long time ago. Why is the sky so blue? Sky is supposed to be a brownish-gray. I think maybe this was done in post processing. whistling.gif

I'm good but I am not that good. Just a different time of year. I copied those from page 11 on Images of Chiang Rai.

So, Rotweiler, what does your comment have to do with this thread or this discussion? Who is Dorothy and what does Bangkok have to do with what is being discussed here? IF this is humor, perhaps you need to explain it a bit more. Maybe too subtle for me.

Like many things, the pleasure is in the journey more so than the arrival.

The most important reason for going from one place to another is to see what’s in between, and they took great pleasure in doing just that.

Norton Juster

I completely agree with your notion of the pleasure residing in the journey more than the destination, especially here in the North. For me Doi Chang, Doi Mae Salong, Phu Chi Fa, and various other locations are little more than a point on the compass and a direction to head out on a day trip. If I didn’t enjoy getting there so much, I am not sure it would be worth the trip.

Edited by villagefarang

So, Rotweiler, what does your comment have to do with this thread or this discussion? Who is Dorothy and what does Bangkok have to do with what is being discussed here? IF this is humor, perhaps you need to explain it a bit more. Maybe too subtle for me.

My guess is that this is a cross-topic reference to a comment I made in the "Ode" topic. Perhaps a bit too clever but I like clever.

Close, VF - but perhaps I should elucidate for those who didn't catch on..

Fiddlesticks said:

"Gee VF, what are those big white things up in the sky? I vaguely remember seeing something like that a long time ago. Why is the sky so blue? Sky is supposed to be a brownish-gray. I think maybe this was done in post processing. "

His comment was regarding the blue colour of the sky in the pics posted by the villagefarang.

In his book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum describes Kansas as being 'in shades of gray'. Probably trhe most well-known excerpt from the book (and the movie) is the phrase attributed to Dorothy roughly quoted " Now I know we're not in Kansas anymore". A lot of people think Bangkok's sky is much like that as well, and a lot of Bangkokians come to our part of Thailand duriong the winter months to experience "cold" (and actually see blue sky).

• Like 1

Thanks for the elucidation. It WAS a stretch for my mind I suppose. However, as many times as the family would watch the Wizard of Oz, it always bored the hell out of me so I would opt for other activities. Now, a reference to Blazing Saddles I will understand!

• Like 1

Just returned from a 2 night trip to Doi Chang and then to Maesai. The drive up to DC from Mae Suai was quite nice with the road in decent condition and great views [if we could have seen them]. Several large trees were down and no electricity from a few trees falling over the power lines, but had power by 7PM. Was a bit disappointed in DC altho we had decent accommodation in the bungalows in the dept of agriculture complex courtesy of my wife's friend who is one of the head guys there.

First disappointment was that the temp was 94f [@ 1,200meters] in the afternoon, so no relief from the heat. Night cooled down to the mid 70's.

2nd was the food in a local hill tribe restaurant that was totally infested with flies and made me loose my appetite.

3rd was the 'grey brown cloud of death' was still there, but not as thick and there was a little blue if you looked up.

Because of the above, we decided to head down the hill to Maesai the next morning to spend a few Baht at the Chinese market. Short cut to CR was good for 80% of the drive and hell for 20%......................4 WD for sure.

Bottom line, I was hoping for a cool clean getaway from the heat in the lowlands and it's not there at DC. My favorite cool clean getaway is still Doi Angkhan where I would rate it at 3.5 stars for clean, comfort, and cool, but DC would only get a 2.5 star rating.

Now at least I can say 'been there /done that'

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the feed back, we get many people here asking the sort of advice you were looking for but we only occasionally hear a trip report back.

Unfortunately you are here at the wrong time of the year, probably another month and it would have been totally different, if you weren't washed away of course. laugh.png

Many people find the more primitive parts of the country attractive, considering it a view of the "old Thailand", I quite like it myself but go more for the camera opportunities than the cuisine.

The flies are the worst I've seen in quite a while, I have to close the house whenever I cook or I get a swarm of unwelcome guests.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1