Private sector ready to cut power consumption in the South in June

Lite Beer

Private sector ready to cut power consumption in the South in June
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Energy commission warns that failure to cut power usage in June will lead to blackouts during maintenance period

The private sector has agreed to reduce energy consumption to prevent blackouts in the 14 southern provinces during the 28 days in June when gas production from the Thai-Malaysian Joint Development Area (JDA) is halted for maintenance, it is reported.

Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) secretary-general Kawin Thangsupanich said power cuts would occur in some southern provinces between June 13 and July 10 if the campaign to get the private sector to reduce energy consumption failed.

Authorities have targeted reducing power consumption by 200-300 megawatts during the maintenance period.

The plan to cut power in some areas is aimed at preventing blackouts in the 14 southern provinces, which experienced blackouts in May last year.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand has submitted the power-cut plan for ERC approval within this month.

The plan features five levels of power demand in different areas.

Egat will cut power in locations that do not cover a wide area and the Provincial Electricity Authority will cut power in areas where demand for power ranges from level two to five.

The areas will lose power for no more than two hours each time.

Kawin said the private sector had agreed to reduce power consumption from 6.30am to 10.30am each day. Among the companies coming on board were large manufacturing and retail operators such as Siam Construction Steel, Siam Iron and Steel, Tesco Lotus, Central Pattana, Siam Makro, Big C Super Centre, Siam Paragon, Asia Cement and Thanakorn Vegetable Oil Products.

The ERC is awaiting approval from the National Energy Policy Office for its proposal to compensate businesses that reduce their power consumption by giving them discounted electricity bills.

Without production from the JDA, total power capacity will be 2,158 megawatts, a 385-megawatt shortfall. However, the state and private sector have about 100 megawatts of power in reserve, meaning there will only be a 285-megawatt shortfall.

Kawin said campaigns to get the public and businesses to reduce electricity consumption were necessary.

"Since the margin between demand and supply of electricity is narrow, there is a need to have a contingency plan to cut power in some areas to prevent blackouts like what happened in May last year, although we are confident that we will receive cooperation from the public and the private sector to cut power to the targeted level,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-20

We have always nearly daily a power cut where i live in Surat Thani.

The longest so far was 36 hours.

So an organised power cut will make no difference...

We, next door in NST have the occasional power cut in the evening but this seems to relate to thunderstorms causing the problems - the longest was probably 4 hours in length so not as bad as what you experience.

• Like 1

Do you live in Sichon? I was there about two years ago. I liked it. I think i will visit it later this year again.

Today we had TWO powercuts...

Yes, I have lived in Sichon for almost 7 years now - my wife and I are private school owners.

If you pass through Sichon going to NST then our school is on the LHS and is easily recognisable as it is 2 long buildings (one pink and the other yellow, plus we are building a big Thai house on our land near the main road. If you pass by then why not pop in and see us.

• Like 1

Ten years ago we had power for several hours a day usually . . . well perhaps not that bad. An operational fan brought such relief. These days such adventures are oddly rare, perhaps a power cut every couple of months for maybe half an hour.

Few excitements these days, but still living on the edge . . . . water is another matter entirely. That does go off. For weeks, even months. Very worrying.

We have always nearly daily a power cut where i live in Surat Thani.

The longest so far was 36 hours.

So an organised power cut will make no difference...

10 or so years ago we had a 4 day one. It affected 4 provinces Ranong Phan Nga plus parts of Surat and Chumpon. Suspecred causes were the unions pr terrorists. A transformer failed and it took 4 days to drag a new one into the middle of nowhere.