Locked in jail for having ID stolen

mowgus

No! I never hear of this before.

I just had a Canadian Friend of mine have his Passport stolen in Australia about 2 months ago. The first thing they told him to do was file a Police Report, so I find this story odd. He next had to go to the embassy and give them this, then fill out a bunch of paper work, and then give them 4 contacts back in Canada that knew him, and could vouch for him. After they called they issued him an Emergency Passport that day and he got a new one once he was home again.

But that was Australia and not Thailand. I don't think the Australian Police would lock you up just for not having any ID on you or passport, which they could and sometimes do here. He also did have some ID left as he hid his Visa Card and other stuff in a separate place, so his hotel room was paid for. He just got careless with his passport, and left it unprotected in a bag on his desk in the hotel room.

Really not enough information in your story to make sense of it. Was she Canadian or not? Was it a Domestic Flight or International? Was she past immigration in the departure hall or in the ticketing area? Was she intoxicated or sober? Was she friendly or abusive? Was it day or night time? Was it a holiday or not? Were the embassies opened or closed then?

But as many have said already, if the Embassies were all closed at that time, and she had no ID, they could not just let her roam around in the waiting area. They had to put her someplace until this mess could be sorted out. All we know for sure is that she was held for 2 days, someplace. Assuming now that everything got worked out and she is safe and on her way home now.

Why she didn't go to the ticket counter or transfer desk to call her friend first, for money and support, I do not know. Or even just ask a Farang to borrow their cell phone? I know I wouldn't turn down a desperate woman. Call Visa from a shop or Money Counter asking for emergency cash, which they would give her based on her secret password. Probably one hundred other things she could have done first. But then an inexperience traveller wouldn't know that I guess. We are all taught at an early age to run to the Poilice on the first sign of trouble.

But what I do agree with you on for sure is that it is a Real Nightmare to lose everything while you are travelling out of your home country, and broke, with no means to even find funds for your next meal. Of this I am sure! .

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No! I never hear of this before.

I just had a Canadian Friend of mine have his Passport stolen in Australia about 2 months ago. The first thing they told him to do was file a Police Report, so I find this story odd. He next had to go to the embassy and give them this, then fill out a bunch of paper work, and then give them 4 contacts back in Canada that knew him, and could vouch for him. After they called they issued him an Emergency Passport that day and he got a new one once he was home again.

But that was Australia and not Thailand. I don't think the Australian Police would lock you up just for not having any ID on you or passport, which they could and sometimes do here. He also did have some ID left as he hid his Visa Card and other stuff in a separate place, so his hotel room was paid for. He just got careless with his passport, and left it unprotected in a bag on his desk in the hotel room.

Really not enough information in your story to make sense of it. Was she Canadian or not? Was it a Domestic Flight or International? Was she past immigration in the departure hall or in the ticketing area? Was she intoxicated or sober? Was she friendly or abusive? Was it day or night time? Was it a holiday or not? Were the embassies opened or closed then?

But as many have said already, if the Embassies were all closed at that time, and she had no ID, they could not just let her roam around in the waiting area. They had to put her someplace until this mess could be sorted out. All we know for sure is that she was held for 2 days, someplace. Assuming now that everything got worked out and she is safe and on her way home now.

Why she didn't go to the ticket counter or transfer desk to call her friend first, for money and support, I do not know. Or even just ask a Farang to borrow their cell phone? I know I wouldn't turn down a desperate woman. Call Visa from a shop or Money Counter asking for emergency cash, which they would give her based on her secret password. Probably one hundred other things she could have done first. But then an inexperience traveller wouldn't know that I guess. We are all taught at an early age to run to the Poilice on the first sign of trouble.

But what I do agree with you on for sure is that it is a Real Nightmare to lose everything while you are travelling out of your home country, and broke, with no means to even find funds for your next meal. Of this I am sure! .

There is ZERO chance this story is true, ie,

her cell phone could easily verify who she is

a boarding pass or her flight info, could esily verify who she is.

I once got to a Fl airport and didnt have ANY identification, but I had a printed boarding pass and was flying with my wife, who had ID,

they simply checked her boarding pass and ID, and then put me thru a full screening.

in this case,

the female passenger, probably was past the security area, as who would sleep in the noisy main waiting area of BKKS

no mention of her laptop, which would easily verify who she is,

so let me guess, they stole her iPhone, they stole her laptop, and all other ID possibilities, while she slept, and no one saw a person up to no good getting robbed while she slept?

really people,

even the cell phone of the police officer could verify her ID, via Facebook, and they would have printed her another boarding pass, and she would be on her way home.

this was a trolling post, designed to illicit and solicit money from the unsuspecting.

I saw it, why no one else?

Hopefully she has contacted the Canadian Embassy by now. But stop to think about it, if you woke up in a foreign airport with no ID, no Money, no way of proving who you are, what do you think the authorities are going to do? That's life and unfortunately it's on her.

Now that's just stupid. Glad I live in a country where victims of crime are not victimized and blamed for being ripped off.

Maybe she fell Asleep under a bench, leaving all her things out in the open somewhere far off & of course making sure to empty all her pockets into her handbag, then push that out of reach as well...or maybe she was under the influence, lost her stuff & then cried wolf.

Definitely her fault regardless, you don't fall asleep leaving your stuff unattended. First all your wallet/purse or money & all cards should be on your person as well as your passport & ticket. Stupid girl.

Thais don't openly steal in public, (referring a entire country, the Thai race, is well we all know) especially at the most tourist-mania airport & the middle-upper class, Thai Swamy - if anyone would have stolen from her it would've been tourists. Even the poor employees - likely not, just like with all the hotels they're too afraid of losing their jobs. Only exceptions would be those places in some of the more poorer locales or lawless towns or mafia controlled regions, such as many parts of Krabi. Interesting, I find the Isan region probably the most safe in Thailand with the reverse being the South.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Maybe she fell Asleep under a bench, leaving all her things out in the open somewhere far off & of course making sure to empty all her pockets into her handbag, then push that out of reach as well...or maybe she was under the influence, lost her stuff & then cried wolf.

Definitely her fault regardless, you don't fall asleep leaving your stuff unattended. First all your wallet/purse or money & all cards should be on your person as well as your passport & ticket. Stupid girl.

Thais don't openly steal in public, (referring a entire country, the Thai race, is well we all know) especially at the most tourist-mania airport & the middle-upper class, Thai Swamy - if anyone would have stolen from her it would've been tourists. Even the poor employees - likely not, just like with all the hotels they're too afraid of losing their jobs. Only exceptions would be those places in some of the more poorer locales or lawless towns or mafia controlled regions, such as many parts of Krabi. Interesting, I find the Isan region probably the most safe in Thailand with the reverse being the South.

My stuff, was left out all over Thailand, with the exception of my passport, which I always left in a safe, or in my pocket.

Laptops, Camera's (Canon 7D), lenses, even cash at times.

Thailand was not unsafe.

I also, didnt go out late at night, as I maintain a daytime life anywhere I am

My point, Thailand is one of the safest countries I've been to in quite awhile, Japan was also very safe if not more. In hotels all throughout I can leave apple laptops, iPads left out to charge, money left on the table. Before I locked my passport up. Now know, just like foreign credit or debit cards, foreign passports are of no value to the common Thai thief. I just throw them in any unlocked drawer. Had issues with one BK security guard, but being drunk I have to take blame. Otherwise in BK, been drugged and robbed at the bars (as the police would say after the the report was finished, "Farangs are always robbed...hahaha"), actually looking back other than the house/apt burglaries & assorted "stick up" type robberies in Krabi (smaller villages, not Ao Nang, but Phuket is a whole other issue), has been pretty tame if you just stay away from the tourist infested bars/areas.

Hopefully she has contacted the Canadian Embassy by now. But stop to think about it, if you woke up in a foreign airport with no ID, no Money, no way of proving who you are, what do you think the authorities are going to do? That's life and unfortunately it's on her.

I don't agree with you. When she has already been in Thailand and she lost the passport they could at least contact the Canadian Embassy to verify if she is speaking the truth or not. It is most stupid to put someone in Jail. She should even be able to sue them.

• Like 1

The embassy will be able to issue travel documents.

Lost, Stolen, Inaccessible, Damaged or Found Passports

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you need to report it immediately to the passport issuing office nearest you. If the loss/theft occurred in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos or Burma (Myanmar), please notify the nearest Canadian or Australian office or send an e-mail to [email protected] and an Operations Officer at the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa will assist you. Officers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For each lost/stolen passport, you must report the matter to the nearest police station and obtain a detailed police report. You will be required to submit the original police report in support of your application. After reporting the lost/stolen passport to our office or to the Operations Officers, and to the police, you can begin preparing an application form for issuance of a new passport if you need to travel.

How to Apply for a Replacement Passport

A person who is applying for a replacement of a Canadian passport that was lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found must:

1. Complete application form and follow the instructions:www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/203.aspx?lang=eng
  2. The required fee. Please note that we are unable to accept credit card payment at this time.

Note: If you are not in possession of an original proof of citizenship (a birth certificate for applicants born in Canada or citizenship certificate for applicants born outside of Canada), a family member or friend can submit on your behalf the document at the nearest Passport Office in Canada or Canadian Office abroad (with your file number).

The fun part is "Original Police Report".

T.I.T. where the Police are loath to file reports and will try to talk you out of it, or ask for a donation.

People need to distinguish between being past immigration and security in an international area and being on the ticketing side. Security procedures have to be set up to deal with the ill intended.

There is no way to know if a person is just a victim of theft or trying to do something else. So for all they know someone just got off a flight and is trying to con their way into Thailand. Or just got off a plane and then is trying to board another plane out to do something bad. There'd be no record of them entering Thailand, or if going out no record in or out. Could completely lose a trail if someone is on the run.

The airline can not just let someone on even if that person were able to get into the destination country. These days it can not be assumed that the person is actually trying to get to the other country. They may intend that the plane not get there in the worst case. The whole point of checking the passenger list before the flight is to screen for names. If someone can just show up and say their passport was stolen but here's the ticket and then board the plane, it defeats the name screening.

If the Malaysian security had announced there was a person who had their passport stolen but then been allowed to board MH370, people would be livid that they let that person on.

And the jail at least has a place to sleep and eat.....

...and she'll get issued a new Jail ID. Life couldn't be better

The Malaysians let 2 people with false passports board so letting someone on without one is not all that much of a stretch.

I think Thailand has much stricter control to begin with, as I have at times been asked for a second photo id because they've thought I didn't look enough like my passport photo.

Plus there's no way it is easier to get someone else's passport than to say, "hey my passport was lost/stolen but I can get into my country, so please let me take this flight." Just because they screwed up with passports doesn't mean they should just discard that requirement altogether.

I feel like a coach walking into the lockerroom and finding the team involved in q big circle jerk.

Just knock it off already, go take a cold shower.

Other than a few responses stating the obvious--that there is not enough detail to form an opinion--the rest of the posts are just some verbal masturbation.

So just stop it already before you make even bigger fools of farangs in Thailand.