Pc Doesn't Recognise A Disk Change

Artisan

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. I have two internal media drives, a Creative DVD ROM, set up as the master, and a NEC DVD-R/RW set up as a slave.

My problem relates to both of these media drives.

When I change a disc in either of these drives, the running light flickers for a while and then stops. When I open “My Computer”, both drive icons are shown but the icon from the previous disk remains. When I right click and explore the disk for content, the files from the previous disk are shown. Should I attempt to run or open any of the displayed content, I am told to insert the appropriate disk as the item cannot be found.

So, the only way that I can get my PC to recognise a change of disk is to shut down after I’ve changed the disk and then restart. The new disk is then recognised. The same nuisance occurs with both drives.

Please help me get rid of this nuisance. Thank you.

hi'

first of all, a writter has to be the master and if there is a reader set it as slave.

this problem was common under win98, but with winXP sp2 :o

never get ...

try to change these settings and jumpers on both devices.

you may have to swap slot for both as the cable will be missplaced.

francois

hi'

first of all, a writter has to be the master and if there is a reader set it as slave.

this problem was common under win98, but with winXP sp2 :o

never get ...

try to change these settings and jumpers on both devices.

you may have to swap slot for both as the cable will be missplaced.

francois

Thanks Francois. This problem has appeared fairly recently. Prior to installing a DVD-R/RW, I had a CD-R/W, also set a slave and, comined with the master DVD, the pair worked perfectly for a couple of years and then this 'phenomenom' started.

I understand your advice and I will try it anyway. Will I have to do anything with the BIOS or will it handle itself?

Again, thank you so much.