Best route Chiang Rai to Krabi by car

flossiebear

Hi we are moving to Krabi from Chiang Rai. Have truck to drive down. Could anyone suggest best route to take. Want to go direct, but not too much boring highways. Any suggested routes would be appreciated. We are taking our two small dogs, so hope we get accommodation along the way to include them.

The other guys are right. Boring highways it is unless you wish to take 6 days instead of 3. Ask Google Earth. It can give me all the road numbers, left turn, right turn, 3rd exit off of the roundabout, etc from Buriram to Barrow-inFurness. It should be able to do CR to Krabi, no prob.

• Like 1

We just did the trip from BKK to Samui, over to Khao Lak, then to Hua Hin and back. BKK to Samui is a pretty boring (and at times not so good) road. Get off that main road, and it's very slow travel.

The best roads we drove were between Samui and Khao Lak (past Khao Sok) and the the road from Khao Lak to HH (going just south of Ranong). We did the road over to Krabi from Samui a few years ago and it's very nice also.

If you can arrange it, stay here. It's absolutely beautiful:

http://www.rachavadee.net/site/

Best route? Drive to Chiang Rai airport. Fly to BKK, transfer and fly to Krabi! Driving from Chiang Rai to Krabi? Are you mad? That will cost you more for fuel and wear and ageing on your car's engine, if you have only 1 or 2 people in the car. With 3 or more people, it would be a bit cheaper than flying, but much less pleasant and convenient.

Get a good map that will be of little help but justin case. Probably a compass might help - jk. from Chiang Mai to BKK only seems easy. there are a few turns that you can miss and if you do - hummmm. Once I get toTak i feel home free but I need to take that right turn in town. There is a turn in Lampun also. Don't miss it. i think that once i got to Bkk all i needed to know was the route number going out of BKK. The signs got me thru. If not, then you need to know the bridge name going south or something is needed to get thru town.

As mentioned above, it is best to totally avoid BKK. When coming south, go through Nakhon Sawan and Chai Nat and then look for the signs to Suphanburi, via Hwy 340. This is a very well built highway and is generally smooth. Then look for the signs to go to Uthong and Nakhon Pathum, via Hwy 321. Once you reach Nakhon Pathum you will follow the signs to Ratchaburi, Petchaburi, Hua Hin, Prachuop Kirhi Khan, etc. to Krabi. Following the above suggested route puts you on good highways and completely avoids the traffic of BKK. Have a pleasant trip.

• Like 2

Get a good map that will be of little help but justin case. Probably a compass might help - jk. from Chiang Mai to BKK only seems easy. there are a few turns that you can miss and if you do - hummmm. Once I get toTak i feel home free but I need to take that right turn in town. There is a turn in Lampun also. Don't miss it. i think that once i got to Bkk all i needed to know was the route number going out of BKK. The signs got me thru. If not, then you need to know the bridge name going south or something is needed to get thru town.

Lamphun???

He's not coming from Chiang Mai.

Best route? Drive to Chiang Rai airport. Fly to BKK, transfer and fly to Krabi! Driving from Chiang Rai to Krabi? Are you mad? That will cost you more for fuel and wear and ageing on your car's engine, if you have only 1 or 2 people in the car. With 3 or more people, it would be a bit cheaper than flying, but much less pleasant and convenient.

Did you actually read the OP ? He clearly states that he is moving with his household effects in a truck so why would flying even come into it ?

Sure if he was going there for a short holiday flying may be the best option but he is asking for a DRIVING route to get from A to B ?

As mentioned above, it is best to totally avoid BKK. When coming south, go through Nakhon Sawan and Chai Nat and then look for the signs to Suphanburi, via Hwy 340. This is a very well built highway and is generally smooth. Then look for the signs to go to Uthong and Nakhon Pathum, via Hwy 321. Once you reach Nakhon Pathum you will follow the signs to Ratchaburi, Petchaburi, Hua Hin, Prachuop Kirhi Khan, etc. to Krabi. Following the above suggested route puts you on good highways and completely avoids the traffic of BKK. Have a pleasant trip.

This is a good route. I took it to drive to Hua Hin from Chiang Rai and it's a long trip but not so bad.

I normally prefer long distance driving at night as it is cooler and with less traffic around, you can normally move faster. The roads are pretty good on that route, all well lit with many places to stop for refreshment or a rest..... especially in the leg to Bangkok but I always take cut fruit like pineapple or apple with me on long drives as it not only helps keep me focused on the road but also helps balance the coffee and redbull etc.

Good luck with the move. I have never been to Krabi but I imagine it will be a major change from lovely peaceful Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

Hi we are moving to Krabi from Chiang Rai. Have truck to drive down. Could anyone suggest best route to take. Want to go direct, but not too much boring highways. Any suggested routes would be appreciated. We are taking our two small dogs, so hope we get accommodation along the way to include them.

Dont do it. Dont drive down there, pay a driver to drive your car and take yourselves and your dogs on a plane. The driver will make his way back to CR by bus. It will be cheaper and eaiser for you and if you hire 2 drivers they will drive in turn none stop all the way to Krabi. They will be there in less than a day and it will give you sometime to get your new place ready.

Ive done Sisaket to Chiang Mai in 14 hours. Chiang Mai to Pattaya in 12 and would never do it again. Sitting in a car seat for that length of time is very bad for your back. Probably have to pay a chiro to sort it out after you arrive in Krabi.

If you cant get a hotel that allows dogs you will have to sleep in your car or keep driving until you do.

The money you pay on hotels on the way will cover your one way flight easily.

Pay a driver? Just see it as a road trip, break it up into 3 days of around 8 hours driving each day, if you are 2 people can even switch drivers. Don't make it sound harder than it is. Is it boring? Yes. Is it more dangerous than flying? Most definitely. Is it undoable or a major inconvenience? Don't think so. I did the drive from Phuket to BKK and from Pattaya to Nong Khai. Thai roads are generally in very good condition when compared to any neighbouring countries, although they can be a bit bumpy at times due to dodgy road foundation. The op will be taking his truck rather than a Vios or something so it will be a nice and smooth (albeit long) ride.

Best way in a car ?? Take a flight and hire a car when in Krabi. Far too far to drive !

I have driven twice (RT) in the past 5 weeks from Kap Chong to Chiang Mai 888 km each way. What a bunch of $#@%^& er's. 12.5 hours each way. Have done that trip at least 50 times over the past 8 years. 2 tiimes have driven CNX to Phuket that's 16 hours each way, I used HH as my lay over.

For the OP. DO NOT let these worry warts disillusion you. Go for it and enjoy the drive. This is the only way to see Thailand.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2

Best way in a car ?? Take a flight and hire a car when in Krabi. Far too far to drive !

I have driven twice (RT) in the past 5 weeks from Kap Chong to Chiang Mai 888 km each way. What a bunch of $#@%^& er's. 12.5 hours each way. Have done that trip at least 50 times over the past 8 years. 2 tiimes have driven CNX to Phuket that's 16 hours each way, I used HH as my lay over.

For the OP. DO NOT let these worry warts disillusion you. Go for it and enjoy the drive. This is the only way to see Thailand.

My sentiments exactly!

My very first trip to Thailand buddy and I drove from Phuket to Chiang Rai in a fully loaded car.

We sidetripped into Koh Sok Park and passed BK to Koh Chang and then doubled back.

Nothing wrong with roadtripping with a car though Thailand.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody. Thank you very much for all your help and advice and taking the time to write. What I like about this forum is that everyone has different views and opinions. We intend to space it out over a number of days and make as many stops as we have to. In no rush. Will enjoy the adventure.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody. Thank you very much for all your help and advice and taking the time to write. What I like about this forum is that everyone has different views and opinions. We intend to space it out over a number of days and make as many stops as we have to. In no rush. Will enjoy the adventure.

Have a great and safe trip. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Ive been a Rep here for 20 odd Years, its easy now the roads are upgraded., just Pace yourself, stay sharp, and its not too bad. Only real bad road is entering Nakasernowhere, why they built that place just tp spoil a clear run.. HH is a good target to stop,,go to the far end,clear start next day....Dog Friendly Hotel on the left,Big one, cant miss it.thumbsup.gif

craigt3365, on 21 Apr 2014 - 07:50, said:

The best roads we drove were between Samui and Khao Lak (past Khao Sok) and the the road from Khao Lak to HH (going just south of Ranong). We did the road over to Krabi from Samui a few years ago and it's very nice also.

If you can arrange it, stay here. It's absolutely beautiful:

http://www.rachavadee.net/site/

Did you also miss this place

Rajjaprabha Dam

Tourists who visit the Surat Thani area are stopping over on their way either to Koh Samui or to Phuket.

If you are in this area one attraction is a must to see "The Rajjaprabha Dam" (also called Chieo Lan Dam). It is secluded and undiscovered by tourists.

The dam is located in the Khao Sok National Park, on Road 401 to Phuket off the main Route 41 going south.

Hire a long tail boat for a hour trip or so if you wish as long as the weather is good.

and then the photo

large.jpg

• Like 1

5555 Nope, didn't miss Khao Sok. Spent one night on the river just below the damn (note: don't swim in the river when they are letting water out!!!!!). Then took a boat to one of those floating "hotels" for an overnight. Absolutely fantastic. One of my best travel experiences anywhere. Definitely one of my top travel experiences in Thailand.

P.S. We were not impressed with Khao Sok near the main entrance. Very poorly maintained trails, very little animal life, etc.

Just done a Samui to Khao Sok then Khao Lak - Ranong road trip on bikes, very easy driving .... virtually no traffic.... lovely ride with many side attractions to take in...thumbsup.gif

I realize that the OP is moving so may not want to take in side attractions, but when time is available it's well worth it to drive around by car or motorbike!

Flying or bus, one misses too much!

IMG_2174.JPG

In Khao Sok between January and April there is a good chance to see Suratthanni's provincial flower in bloom ...(Raffleasia) involves a bit of hiking with tour guides! thumbsup.gif

IMG_2066.JPG

^ probably the heaviest amount of traffic out side of Surrat city!

In Khao Lak this place is worth a stop and stay/ eat (a TV member and wonderful host!)

IMG_2217.CR2.jpg

Do watch out for elephants though! whistling.giftongue.png

IMG_2080.JPG

The road coming back via 4006 (nice drive) then from south of Chumpon to Surrat City, is OK, but a bit more traffic (that would vary as to time of day) .... but some of the small towns and villages were attractive, if you get off the main road!

Just short of a 1000 kms round trip!

One day I would love to do the trip up north!

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2