Hair Implant in Bangkok ? Where did you do it ? How much did you pay ? Happy ?

thailandbeachisland

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I couldn't find clear posts with replies to these questions:

Recent experience about hair implant in Thailand ?

Where ?

How much ?

Would you recommend to your friends ?

Thank you if you can send clear information.

I spent a lot of time researching this in Bangkok.

I went to a doctor in Braumrungrad in Bangkok and he gave me the best advice.

The best advice He can gave was to try the pills first. There are Many cheaper brands available in Thailand.

I use Proscar 5mg and split them into 1/4ths. Dr said can use every other day but I use every day. Don't buy propecia. It's exactly the same just more expensive. The off brands available in Thailand have the active ingredient of Finasteride.

Be aware of the side effects. I had irrational thoughts for the first few weeks. Wish my dr would have told me that could happen. Some even have suicidal thoughts. Mine were not that strong.

So before you have an expensive procedure (which I had twice and was looking into #3) try the meds. I have been very happy with the very noticeable results.

Even after you have a procedure you should take the meds. The hair loss will reverse and or slow it waaay down or stop it. Yes you need to take it forever but at least we have something !!!! Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Take it forever? or results reverse? I wonder about long term side effects. I hate just the fact I take low dose aspirin everyday. The other posters links about laser therapy got me curious..

Hello,

I couldn't find clear posts with replies to these questions:

Recent experience about hair implant in Thailand ?

Where ?

How much ?

Would you recommend to your friends ?

Thank you if you can send clear information.

I spent a lot of time researching this in Bangkok.

I went to a doctor in Braumrungrad in Bangkok and he gave me the best advice.

The best advice He can gave was to try the pills first. There are Many cheaper brands available in Thailand.

I use Proscar 5mg and split them into 1/4ths. Dr said can use every other day but I use every day. Don't buy propecia. It's exactly the same just more expensive. The off brands available in Thailand have the active ingredient of Finasteride.

Be aware of the side effects. I had irrational thoughts for the first few weeks. Wish my dr would have told me that could happen. Some even have suicidal thoughts. Mine were not that strong.

So before you have an expensive procedure (which I had twice and was looking into #3) try the meds. I have been very happy with the very noticeable results.

Even after you have a procedure you should take the meds. The hair loss will reverse and or slow it waaay down or stop it. Yes you need to take it forever but at least we have something !!!! Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Take it forever? or results reverse? I wonder about long term side effects. I hate just the fact I take low dose aspirin everyday. The other posters links about laser therapy got me curious..
Yes results will reverse when you stop taking it. Within 6 months.

I believe a benefit is less chance of prostate cancer when taking this medicine. You can use the hair cream/spray. Minoxyl. ? But same again need to take forever. I think it is much more expensive than the oral method.

Just remember. The implants can fall out and might not be worth your time and money, if you don't use the meds. I had two full implants done (many thousands of follicles transferred all over the top of my head ). Depending on your level of hair loss, you could need several different treatments before actually achieving your wanted results. Expensive. Could buy houses here or a nice car for that much being spent :P

I got it straight now. My son had his hair surgery in Chang Mai and it cost $2.00 per implant. He got 1000 implants. It worked out just fine.

1000 hair implants is actually quite a low number. Probably need 2000 to 3000 as a minimum to get a good hair effect.

I always remember a tv programe that i saw over 20 years ago ,it was about guys who were bald and they blamed everything that was wrong in their lives on it , if you are that unsure of yourself ,i am afraid nothing will help ,get hair and then blame something else . If your bald ,just live with it ,nobody but you notices or gives a flying fart,honest.

"I always remember a tv programe that i saw over 20 years ago ....."

why on earth would you always remember a tv programe. have you spoke to any professiional health worker about this. really you should move on as it is definately not the norm to 'always remember a tv show' :)

when people get some cosmetic surgery they do it for themselfs. not because of what other people will think. think about that! when you go for a haircut do you do it for yourself - or for what other people will think. simple :)

I got it straight now. My son had his hair surgery in Chang Mai and it cost $2.00 per implant. He got 1000 implants. It worked out just fine.

1000 hair implants is actually quite a low number. Probably need 2000 to 3000 as a minimum to get a good hair effect.

Yes each time I had my two procedures it was between 2500-3000 each time. I wasnt even close to full bald. Just thinning quite bit. Yiu won't notice 1000 grafts.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I had it done at the place below. I still get compliments on it from those who know I've had it done. Other people just think I have my hair. Except that my brother is just about bald and people ask why I have hair and he doesn't. I was even thinking about going back and getting a little fill in. Used to be called the Stough clinic I think, but the doctor is the one who did it and the location is the same.

http://hairtransplantation-thailand.com/

In 2008, for 3,000 grafts it was 210,000 baht, though I think I had 3,500 grafts, which would have been 245,000 baht. Sliding scale so that it cost more per graft for lower quantities. He gave me a quote over email after I sent pictures and then when I went in I think he said 500 more would be better. I'd taken pictures with fairly long hair. Did the consultation one trip, and went in for the procedure the next trip. My donor area had such dense hair that they actually got several hundred extra grafts out of it and there was no charge for putting those in.

Figure the price is higher now as that was a while ago. He had a large team doing the procedure. Like 5 or 6 people in the room, plus the people cutting up the donor strip to get the grafts. I recall it was about 40% less than what I was getting quoted in the US. The fee included medicine. Maybe a few pain killers and maybe a few antibiotics though maybe just pain killers. I went back the next day where he checks how things look and they wash your hair. I think I flew to Japan the next day after that.

One thing to note is the day I went in, he said it would be a better result if they could shave the top of my head. That was the first I had been told about that. Since I had already brought a hat anyway it was no big deal. But I also wasn't doing anything in the weeks after where I couldn't wear a hat. If I'd known about that, I'd have gotten all my hair cut short before because it was extremely short on top, with fairly long sides until I was able to even it out. Now that I think about it, maybe if I had cut it short he'd have been able to work with the short hair instead of the somewhat long hair I had.

so it's definitely a lot cheaper than in Falangland? thanks

I lost my hair in my 20"s it never bothered me ,(i have high esteem) and it never seemed to bother the girls ,always had a wife or a girlfriend all my life ,honestly i do feel sorry for guys that think they need a hair transplant or a wig ,love yourself ,anyway if you live in Thailand you will always be a hansum manthumbsup.gif

Why on earth are you posting here then? the man is asking for advice on the actual procedures, since he's clearly made up his mind already. He's not looking for some grumpy old troll to tell him what he should or shouldn't do with his own hair, get a life.

I lost my hair in my 20"s it never bothered me ,(i have high esteem) and it never seemed to bother the girls ,always had a wife or a girlfriend all my life ,honestly i do feel sorry for guys that think they need a hair transplant or a wig ,love yourself ,anyway if you live in Thailand you will always be a hansum manthumbsup.gif

'if you live in Thailand you will always be a hansum man'

but what about the reality of the mirror that one looks in to each day. ugly is ugly. the mirror doesnt lie no matter how much you offer to pay smile.png

hahahaha exactly. Funny how he admits with his "hansum man" remark, exactly what type of expat or tourist he is.

I always remember a tv programe that i saw over 20 years ago ,it was about guys who were bald and they blamed everything that was wrong in their lives on it , if you are that unsure of yourself ,i am afraid nothing will help ,get hair and then blame something else . If your bald ,just live with it ,nobody but you notices or gives a flying fart,honest.

why on earth would you always remember a tv programe. have you spoke to any professiional health worker about this. really you should move on as it is definately not the norm to 'always remember a tv show' smile.png

when people get some cosmetic surgery they do it for themselfs. not because of what other people will think. think about that! when you go for a haircut do you do it for yourself - or for what other people will think. simple smile.png

Actually i started losing my hair when i was in my 20's it worried me at first ,but as i always had girlfriends (and wives) and not one ever seemed to care ,why should you? i always remember years ago a girl saying "so your losing your hair ,so what" funny how i am always "remembering things"biggrin.png

why on earth would you always remember a tv programe. have you spoke to any professiional health worker about this. really you should move on as it is definately not the norm to 'always remember a tv show' smile.png

when people get some cosmetic surgery they do it for themselfs. not because of what other people will think. think about that! when you go for a haircut do you do it for yourself - or for what other people will think. simple smile.png

Actually i started losing my hair when i was in my 20's it worried me at first ,but as i always had girlfriends (and wives) and not one ever seemed to care ,why should you? i always remember years ago a girl saying "so your losing your hair ,so what" funny how i am always "remembering things"biggrin.png

Maybe because not every man in Thailand is a sexpat.

"not one of them seemed to care" no surprise really, since they only care about the size of your wallet. thumbsup.gif

An interesting post though sadly for the OP not a single clinic has been recommended.....!

Instead the long debated money, good looks or just Mr. Nice guy.. what do Thai girls prefer..!

Well obviously the vast majority prefer Thai men. Hang in there coz there is a point to this...!

Thai men have, in general , dark hair and lots of it. They also speak Thai, if they have money they dress well..

Get my drift so far... Now let's look at the tiny percentage who try to have a farang bf/ husband/ provider...and ask why!?

So often I think the Mr. Nice guy was missing from their experience of Thai men.

So back to the OP,s dilemma ... My advice is adapt to the country you have chosen to live in without of course losing your own identity. So if a natural hair transplant works go for it , if money is an issue then budget and/or get more coz it is so often about survival for Thais,keep your weight reasonable, wash coz it's steaming hot , dress appropriately, learn some Thai ... and above all respect and love the country and the people whose country we have nearly all chosen to live in!

go away.

• 11 months later...

So many unhelpful, asinine and utterly irrelevant comments....

I have posted before on this. Here is my experience

I had surgery in March 2010 and have been very pleased with the results.

I used Dr Damkerng who is based in Thailand and is one of the world's leading experts. He works out of Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospital but I used his own clinic near Ari which is probably 20 percent cheaper. http://www.dhthairclinic.com/home

You can see some case studies for him (or other doctors) at the following link

http://www.hairtrans...r2.asp?DrID=502

The cost was typically 85-120THB per graft depending upon number of grafts (including post treatment) and the Dr you use. Number of grafts depends how much you need, how much you have available from the back of your head and how much money you have! Generally they would try and get 20-50 grafts per cm2 compared to a normal full head of hair which is around 100 hairs per cm2. Each graft is usually 1-3 hairs

For myself, I had 3700 grafts (slightly more than 7500 hairs). The experience itself was not too bad and lasted about 8 hours. Dr Damkerng and his team are superb. You are given local anaesethtic and sleeping pills but to be honest I slept for about 2 hours and then chose to be awake and chatted with the staff or listened to my IPOD. Some ppl watch movies too! If you start to feel pain, you tell them and they top-up the anaesethtic. We had a break for food half way through and you can have more breaks if you wish.

Afterwards I took pain killers for the first night and you get a headband to wear for a few days to prevent swelling around the face. You can also wear a hat. After 1 week they remove stiches from the donor area and if you don't live in BKK that is the last time you need to see the Dr. Since I lived in Bangkok I went for a few additional checks

I had some discomfort during the first night from the donor area which the painkillers fixed. If you have your hair >1cm long at the back, it is difficult/impossible to see the donor scar from day 1. Because my hair was thinning at the front, rather than bald, I let them shave the front so that they could increase the density of the graft transplants, which means I had some longer lasting visual effects immediately after surgery (just looked like I had receded slightly more)

I would recommend you plan to take it easy for a week after the transplant but after a couple of days I really had no pain from the donor area whatsoever. Then it is the visual impact you need to think about. I would say I could have returned to work after 1-2 weeks with minimum visual impact. I brushed some remaining hair over the shaved area and to be honest, it looked like I receded a little more than before the op, but people I know could not notice any difference. After 2-3 weeks, the transplanted hairs start to fall out.

For the first two months post op I did not experience any pain in the transplanted area although it felt slightly numb (a common side effect they say goes away within around 6 months). Within 2-3 months, the transplanted hair started to grow and within 4-6 months the impact was very significant, slightly earlier than the 8 months that the Dr had advised for full results. I have relatively thick hair.

I thought long and hard about doing this and was very apprehensive on the day (as are many by the sound of it). It is clearly a very personal and individual decision but for me I felt there were very limited long term downsides to having this procedure done, especially having selected Dr Damkerng who seems to be recognised around the world for his skills

I may need to go back for a "top up" due to ongoing thinning on my crown as the first procedure focused on the front of the head. However, I was well aware of this before I did the first procedure due to the pattern of my baldness. The staff are also very honest with you about what you would require. They suggested I take hair restoration medication to minimise further hair loss/need for one further transplant but this was not something I wanted to do and I would rather have a second transplant if required but no plans yet. I was 39 when I had the transplant

• 1 year later...

As usual, this thread has gone completely off topic, lol!

I'm considering this procedure and have the following estimates:

United States (North Carolina)

Bosley - $5.66 per graft, 3000 grafts needed.  $17000.

Jernigans (local to North Carolina) - $4.00 per graft, 2500 grafts needed.  $10,000.

Thailand

DHT Clinic - 95 Baht per graft, 3500 grafts needed.  $10,000.

Yanhee - 80 Baht per graft, 2500 grafts needed.  $6000.

So, you see there's a big difference between price and number of grafts needed.  I tend to believe the lower grafts estimates (Jernigans/Yanhee) because I know I have low density of hair per square cm in the donor area. My gut tells me the higher cost estimates (Bosley/DHT Clinic) are due to greed, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps these higher priced firms can achieve better results, any advice from TV members is appreciated.

The cost savings by choosing Yanhee would be significant, but I can't find anything on the web about their hair transplant section. 

Having lived in Thailand, and worked side by side with Thais in a professional environment, I know the work ethic is high, and the service level in private medical facilities is much better than the US.  If I choose Yanhee over Jernigans, I'd basically get a free 2 week trip to Thailand, although I'd probably not want to go outside the hotel room the whole time for discomfort and appearance...

Edited by puanddavid

• 2 months later...

Curious where they get the hair for the implant. Do they use the same person's hair from other parts of their body like their back, chets,  bum hole, balls sack and anywhere else the person has no real use for hair?

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Curious where they get the hair for the implant. Do they use the same person's hair from other parts of their body like their back, chets,  bum hole, balls sack and anywhere else the person has no real use for hair?

They take it from the back and sides of the head because those hairs are resistant to shedding.

7 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

They take it from the back and sides of the head because those hairs are resistant to shedding.

well that counts the ladys out, dont think there is a pube in Thailand on a woman ,  allegedly