Very suspicious of Baidu

jko

I see a previous post on Baidu which gives mixed impressions - here are some more:

Baidu PC Faster which purports to boot up quickly get rid of junk etc., was installed on my system without permission when I downloaded the GOM video Player.
I found no bad reports of this on a Google search, but remained suspicious – it was intrusive, with regular hyped messages, so I uninstalled a few days ago it using CCleaner.
Since then, my Comodo Firewall reports daily that “duplicaterecord.js” wants 'x' application to connect to the internet, which will 'give it full control over my system'
The ‘x’ varies and I block this every time.
The most recent ‘x’ today was ConduitDB.A (a PUP which Malwarebytes detected and deleted a few days ago)
Looking into my folders, I see a residual Baidu file C:\Users\Public\Documents\Baidu\Common\I18N\conf.db
Can I delete this file safely?
Meanwhile it would appear that Baidu needs to be handled with caution!
  • Like 1

Baidu is not a positive thing. If it isn't in here then that is a good guide for 99% of users out there.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

To cure your problem (at least to give it a go) you should follow this

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/baidu-pc-faster-virus/

I would suggest installing something like WinPatrol (I like because it is lightweight and warns you pro-actively about things trying to autorun) and Spybot S&D to give you better protection against this kind of "stealth" install. Also, ALWAYS use Advanced for install. Mostly this is just custom location (just ignore) and "oh, would you like this size 9 piece of c**p installed?". Going Advanced allows you to say "NO!".

Wise advice and recommendations. Every non-geek should read this.

Thanks for an excellent post!

• Like 1

I've always been suspicious of this Baidu program after seeing it on many computers. As others have noted, try and close it with Task Manager and untick it in program start ups does nothing. It always over rides the settings.

Draftvader is spot on for recommending Revo as it really is the only program to get these sort of nasty programs completely uninstalled.

I keep a portable copy of Revo (and many other handy free Windows programs) on a USB stick to sort these things out if I need to look at someone's problematic computer.

• Like 1

Some very naive people out there that are willing to download just about any junk and then wonder why problems occur !

Baidu unfortunately is packaged in other software apps and you have to be watchful to untick allow install so not something specifically being downloaded by users. I've seen it packaged in some software that I use that is not junk. I use VLC myself but GOM is well received and rated by many and not junk. Many I know are using it. I also use PotPlayer and also an excellent full featured player. All 3 are rated in the top 10 over at techsupportalert. And Cnet gives an Editor's rating of 4 stars for GOM.

More and more apps are adding these 'extras' to their installation and have to be even more careful now to watch every step of the installation process to be sure something you don't want doesn't get installed.

• Like 1

Why would you install something called GOM Video Player in the first place? Of course it´s gonna be full of adware and crap. Why not just stick with VLC that plays everything?

It is not full of adware or crap and it is a very good video player, I have used it for years without any problems at all.

• Like 1

My wife had a smileys program (quite nice actually) from Baidu. When I got rid of it various problems disappeared. Her new laptop had a load of rubbish on it and Baidu antivirus was one, as well as Baidu faster computer. It proved to be difficult to get rid of these and involved two restarts, even using Revo uninstaller. 1100 files. I did a manual search and got rid of a couple more files in there.

I also got rid of GOM so maybe the two are related.

Why would you install something called GOM Video Player in the first place? Of course it´s gonna be full of adware and crap. Why not just stick with VLC that plays everything?

It is not full of adware or crap and it is a very good video player, I have used it for years without any problems at all.

GOM is well-known for carrying adware, toolbars and other junk nowadays. There is absolutely no reason to choose GOM over VLC.

GOM is well-known for carrying adware, toolbars and other junk nowadays. There is absolutely no reason to choose GOM over VLC.

It's called personal choice. Many like GOM and many like VLC.

Curious though that you make this statement "Why would you install something called GOM Video Player in the first place?" indicating you didn't know about GOM to an expert in the load it carries.

I tried that VLC player, did not like the interface or the silly traffic cones that make its icons. GOM is a much better player and finds codecs for you as well automatically. As for GOM carrying adware, toolbars and other junk(whatever that is), that is crap. I just unistalled it and installed it again and it has exactly one toolbar that you can untick so it does not get installed and after you have installed GOM it offers you a GOM audio player if you want it, just tick cancel and it does not install, so your claims of adware and other junk is rubbish also not even toolbars as you claimed but 1 tool bar that need not be installed obviously.

Myself used this one for years, very good + gets rid of all the bits in the Power scan http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller-Portable/3000-2096_4-75337675.html

IOBIT? Seriously don't. You only need to search online to find out that they stole their malware databases from Malwarebytes. How did they get found out?

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=29681

This is another Chinese company who have been shown to not understand or have the knowledge that they claim to. Best avoid.

• Like 1

Myself used this one for years, very good + gets rid of all the bits in the Power scan http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Uninstaller-Portable/3000-2096_4-75337675.html

IOBIT? Seriously don't. You only need to search online to find out that they stole their malware databases from Malwarebytes. How did they get found out?

This is another Chinese company who have been shown to not understand or have the knowledge that they claim to. Best avoid.

All a bit old News........ date of the link was 2009, we are now in 2014 and all the major download sites rate iobit with 4 or 5 stars......... anyway what I use and the 5* link is for the iobit Uninstaller. What has malware database got to do with this uninstaller ?

• Like 1

All a bit old News........ date of the link was 2009, we are now in 2014 and all the major download sites rate iobit with 4 or 5 stars......... anyway what I use and the 5* link is for the iobit Uninstaller. What has malware database got to do with this uninstaller ?

I would suggest that it is an attitude. We need to know why they did that in the first place. The obvious answer was that they couldn't compete because they didn't have the known how.

In reality there is a good chance that the piece of software that you are describing is doing exactly what you ask of it and without causing any trouble. It is worth considering, however, that there are such a wide range of options available that you CAN make a decision based off a company's poor choices in the past.

Here are 4 options

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-program-un-installer.htm

Gizmo's freeware is a widely respected resource for identifying useful and tested freeware. Since the IOBIT theft of the database they have not included IOBIT in any of their selections. Why? Trust. I'm with them on that.

• Like 1

I would suggest that it is an attitude. We need to know why they did that in the first place. The obvious answer was that they couldn't compete because they didn't have the known how.

In reality there is a good chance that the piece of software that you are describing is doing exactly what you ask of it and without causing any trouble. It is worth considering, however, that there are such a wide range of options available that you CAN make a decision based off a company's poor choices in the past.

Here are 4 options

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-program-un-installer.htm

Gizmo's freeware is a widely respected resource for identifying useful and tested freeware. Since the IOBIT theft of the database they have not included IOBIT in any of their selections. Why? Trust. I'm with them on that.

Thanks for the link......... lots to look at and maybe change some software..

Looks like I use a So-So good PC cleaner for some years ? Glary + they do have a built-in uninstaller... just found Iobit uninstaller so easy, appears to get rid of everything, where some I have tried years ago appear to leave odd bits behind.

Notice my Antivirus is good used for many years Avast......and use CCCleaner........ so may have a few things right

Edited by ignis

Some on and off topic stuff:

How do you know the best place to download and install from?

How safe and reliable is cnet?

I suspect not all downloads of the same software name are the same.

And i fear unwanted malware.

Programs are free, so they can collect YOUR data for the most part.

Does anyone read the terms and understand them, before they press 'agree?'

Even that is not guarantee.

Baidu was installed by someone who worked on a thai friends puter.

Km player is not bad.

It actually remembers the last place you looked for your last folder to open.

I do not see that feature in vlc or other players, yet.

Seems no one player is faultless and can play all files.

Km had a hard time with flv files and vlc had a hard time with mpg files.

I also suspect i got a virus from a media file that was talking to a website when i opened it.

Best to close your internet connection sometimes.

I also got a 'virus' from a webpage i saved!!!

Now i sometimes see a little DOS/black OS box pop up for a split second i never saw before in win 7, normal or not?

Replies inline...where I can

Some on and off topic stuff:

How do you know the best place to download and install from? - http://www.techsupportalert.com/ - This is a community based effort that undergoes regular update and review. There are SO many options out there but this lot have, on the whole, checked them out. They don't exclude freeware with inline installers but they do make it clear in their write ups

How safe and reliable is cnet? - C-Net is a repository of everything (on the whole). They do seem a little more sold out nowadays. I would always d/l from the providers site where possible including searching for the same software using google to see if they have one. If they don't then I tend to be more suspicious.

I suspect not all downloads of the same software name are the same. - Right (see above)

And i fear unwanted malware. - Again, you are right to do so

Programs are free, so they can collect YOUR data for the most part.

Does anyone read the terms and understand them, before they press 'agree?' - I worked selling multi thousand £ software packages and multi million £ solutions. NOBODY READS THE Ts&Cs....normally these are there to protect you but they are welcome to put in "We'll take control of your computer and steal everything" if they want.

Even that is not guarantee.

Baidu was installed by someone who worked on a thai friends puter.

Km player is not bad.

It actually remembers the last place you looked for your last folder to open.

I do not see that feature in vlc or other players, yet.

Seems no one player is faultless and can play all files.

KM is OK. I have a preference for VLC due to the wide number of codecs it provides. For my main HTPC I run XBMC but have VLC installed JUST for the codecs.

Km had a hard time with flv files and vlc had a hard time with mpg files.

I also suspect i got a virus from a media file that was talking to a website when i opened it.

Best to close your internet connection sometimes.

I also got a 'virus' from a webpage i saved!!!

Now i sometimes see a little DOS/black OS box pop up for a split second i never saw before in win 7, normal or not?

Some install routines will use CMD (command prompts) to run scripts but these are almost non-existent in most "home use" installs. I see them regularly in my web development work and in gaming mods. They are mostly benign and tend to do nothing more than a normal install. That you are seeing them when you are not installing does sound worthy of a system cleanup for sure.

• Like 2

Swap to Linux ...

Why jump through hoops and over hurdles to keep malware and junk off an expensive, hard to maintain operating system?

Free Linux......

I have many recommendations.... Cinnamon is a nice, easy distro

a bit nit-picky i know, but cinammon is not a distro it is a desktop environment. i imagine you are talking about linux mint cinnamon edition?

somewhat on topic, i was very surprised when i went to upgrade filezilla the other day that when i went to sourceforge and downloaded it i did not in fact download filezilla, but the 'sourceforge download tool', which then prompted me to install filezilla along with several other crapware programs and a toolbar. it never even occured to me to check carefully as sourceforge has always been a reliable and trustworthy download site which i have used for many, MANY years. very disappointing to find that they are now resorting to this trickery. lesson - ALWAYS read the installer details very carefully, even from a trusted site and a know and trusted application!

check out the screenshot, now that i look carefully it does say 'may contain bundled offers' and 'see additional download offers'. i guess it is filezillas site and not sourceforge itself doing the trickery, but i have never heard of (and do not have any need for) the sourceforge download tool. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gifmad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gifxangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.pngangry.png

post-105918-0-23458400-1398307462_thumb.

somewhat on topic, i was very surprised when i went to upgrade filezilla the other day that when i went to sourceforge and downloaded it i did not in fact download filezilla, but the 'sourceforge download tool', which then prompted me to install filezilla along with several other crapware programs and a toolbar. it never even occured to me to check carefully as sourceforge has always been a reliable and trustworthy download site which i have used for many, MANY years. very disappointing to find that they are now resorting to this trickery. lesson - ALWAYS read the installer details very carefully, even from a trusted site and a know and trusted application!

check out the screenshot, now that i look carefully it does say 'may contain bundled offers' and 'see additional download offers'. i guess it is filezillas site and not sourceforge itself doing the trickery, but i have never heard of (and do not have any need for) the sourceforge download tool. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gifmad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gifxangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.pngangry.png

CNET started to do that type of thing a while back and pack what you downloaded with offers for software that you did not want. It is a pain obviously but they have to make some money somewhere I guess.