No plan to cancel CDMA network in Myanmar

Myanmar has no plans to cancel the Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) network for mobile phones, said Myat Hein, Union Minister, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.

From Eleven Myanmar Media

Daily_April20_KSM_CDMA.jpg

Emergency System for CDMA network shown at ICT show, Convention Hall (Photo – EMG)

The country presently has the CDMA as well as other mobile networks, such as GSM, WCDMA, CDMA 800 and CDMA 450.
“There isn’t any plan to cancel the use of CDMA mobile network - only has plans for enlarging it,” said Myat Hein.

I returned mine a couple of years ago having had it since 1997. Only ever used it for incoming calls (US$ phone) and had to put up an external antenna in order for it to work. I briefly had a handset for it until MPT announced that they would hunt people down who 'moved' their CDMA phone.

The funniest part was when I returned it, they insisted on receiving all parts of the phone including the original battery pack/charger that I had replaced some years prior. Luckily I had it or they were going to charge me.thumbsup.gif