residency certificate - where at immigration office?

willfreeman

got my visa extended today and was going to get a residency certificate done, the lady told me out back behind the office. I poked my head around there but could only see the photocopy booth and another building behind that with a sign saying 'investigation', any info on which building its in? and do you have to 'line up' to get one or can you walk straight in any time of the day? thanks

On the right hand side as you enter the parking lot, just after the visa renewal building but before the ohotocopy place, a small office with a glass door. Was there today for the same purpose, 500 baht paid but can pick it up tomorrow.

If you don't want to pay the 500 THB it'll take 10 days - so it depends how urgently you need it

Got mine in 7 days with a slip given to me that indicated the date to pick up. At the time there was a sign on the window, saying ,in English ,there is no charge, so are you saying you are now charged 500 baht and the sign has gone ?

If you don't want to pay the 500 THB it'll take 10 days - so it depends how urgently you need it

Got mine in 7 days with a slip given to me that indicated the date to pick up. At the time there was a sign on the window, saying ,in English ,there is no charge, so are you saying you are now charged 500 baht and the sign has gone ?

No such sign today, maybe it's a seasonal or hourly thing, trust me, I checked it out because it I've not needed to get one of the damned things for a long time so it was all new.

I was there on Monday and they told me it would take 10 days (which is reflected on the slip I was given) - no mention was made of any cost however my wife went back to check and the guy told her for 500 THB I could get it on Tuesday but if I waited the 10 days it would be free. I'm in no hurry so I'm waiting the 10 days

Edited by narkeddiver

The service is FREE if you apply for one certificate and go back on the date given to you

If you ask for 2 certificates or ask for a rapid service the cost is 500 baht

Is the wrong answer! I can confirm that I was given no choice when asked to pay 500 baht, when I paid the money I was given a ticket with the following days date on it.

But this is just nomal for Thailand. One thing for one person, a different thing for the next person.

I recently applied for a Certificate of Residence and was given a ticket showing the date for collection. I collected it on that date, no fee.

Nothing was said to me about a 500 Baht fee for express service, but I certainly believe that other applicants have probably been given different information,

• Like 1

Hmmmm!

It seems questions about extra fees come up continually regarding this topic.

I personally over many years have never been charged any fees for a residence permit: none, nãda. Not in any way for any purpose have I been charged any fee (other than official posted fees for extensions and re-entry permits) for any Immigration Department service as an expatriate. If, when it comes to "expedited service" of some sort, you pay a little extra perhaps that may be true. I have not experienced that here except with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Office in Chiang Mai for a "rush job," and the same is true for other countries. I don't find that odd; I find that convenient.

Then, to look at the situation in another way, why in the world would anyone be concerned about 500THB, which happens to be the "fee" bandied about in this instance? 500THB ??!! In any case, it is no more or less than payment for not "waiting in the queue" or "bucking the line."

The general thrust of the conversation on this recurring issue makes me pause a bit to consider the ability of some people, especially among the elderly, to deal with any sort of ambiguity or puzzle in a culture or language which they do not understand or speak. Leaving a transition to another country without some personal and financial "flex" might be too challenging for many. Best some people should have stayed "home."

• Like 1

I would guess there's a certain amount of profiling that takes place, age, lives where, has money or not, likely to make a fuss or not, knows the rules and the established practise. In my case it was a pretty safe bet that I'd pay him his 500 baht because all he did was to keep repeating Watkate, Watkate, Watkate (which is a fairly expensive area to live).

Just went on Wednesday to get my P of R…. 1 week to 10 days if you want it free, 500 baht and you can can pick it up first thing the next morning. While I was filling out my form I wittnesed a 500 baht payment go straight into the officer's pocket.

I went today to get a residency certificate and to clarify about the 500bt.

the guy asked me for 500bt. I said no its free.

He then pointed out the clarification on the printed notice in his office.

It says free only if you have non immigrant visa.

If you have tourist visa it is 500bt.

Asked if I can have it now, he said no, you come back friday.

That's the concise version. The panned out version involved my paperwork being returned to me twice and told to go to thai consulate to get non imm visa then I can have for free. He also refused to give me receipt which is the cheating part for sure...I don't know why I need receipt anyway?

He then told me that on the 19th next month, the residence certificate office and the ones dealing with all the Burmese labourers will be moving to Sansai so life down there will be very peaceful in future.

Was pretty quiet there this morning, handful of westerners walking about that was it.

Thanks for that info.Can understand them moving the offices for the Burmese workers but shifting that small closet which serves as the Residency Certificate office out to Sansai is a bit weird.

I guess where in Sansai ? is the next question

That's the concise version. The panned out version involved my paperwork being returned to me twice and told to go to thai consulate to get non imm visa then I can have for free. He also refused to give me receipt which is the cheating part for sure...I don't know why I need receipt anyway?

He then told me that on the 19th next month, the residence certificate office and the ones dealing with all the Burmese labourers will be moving to Sansai so life down there will be very peaceful in future.

Was pretty quiet there this morning, handful of westerners walking about that was it.

Funny that one person believes they can clarify this issue on the baisis of a single visit, the attempt was noble but misguided since many subsequent visitors will recieve conflicting answers, best to accept that's the way it is here.

Funny that one person believes they can clarify this issue on the baisis of a single visit, the attempt was noble but misguided since many subsequent visitors will recieve conflicting answers, best to accept that's the way it is here.

Hilarious bud

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom.

I particularly sought the answer today because I am not one to throw away 500bt unnecessarily.

If you care to go yourself tomorrow and ask at the window maybe you can get some credence back and I may get an apology

Post number 10 above shows that I was indeed there a week ago and and despite being the holder of an O-A visa, I was charged 500 baht!

So my attempt at clarification yielded different answers to you yet you seem indignant that might be the case - odd really that anyone who's been here for any period of time should not understand that is typically the case. But what I will do, since I have to go to CM Immigration again tomorrow, on a different matter, I'll query what the rules are yet again and I'll post the answers I recieve, maybe we can have a competition as to how many "offical" but different answers we can get on this subject.

Apologies, methinks not, bud!

EDIT for spelling

Edited by chiang mai

You appear to not understand the issue, you're looking for a hard and fast set of rules that are applicable to everyone, regardless of which Immigration officer serves them. Well the only hard and fast rule is that there isn't one, so best be prepared to live with that!

Officer A may not charge the impoverished looking retiree yet he may elect to charge the newbie backpacker who doesn't know the rules. That same officer may also decide to charge the wealthy looking retiree who when he refuses to pay, because such things are free, ahem, will be told to collect his/her certificate in ten days time! Officers B, C and D may all work to different programs.

For my part, knowing that there's such a huge number of variables involved, I'm actually OK with paying 500 baht if it means I get the certificate the next day and I can get on with my life, waiting ten days before I can buy/sell my car, buy my house or whatever, is not part of my prefered game plan but each to their own in this respect.

I think Mapguys earlier post on this subject says it best when he talks about people who can't live with unncertainty, he wrote:

"The general thrust of the conversation on this recurring issue makes me pause a bit to consider the ability of some people, especially among the elderly, to deal with any sort of ambiguity or puzzle in a culture or language which they do not understand or speak. Leaving a transition to another country without some personal and financial "flex" might be too challenging for many. Best some people should have stayed "home."

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

several months ago,i obtained my retirement visa through a agency located in soi 9 nimmendian road directly oppposite the monkey club,the reason i chose this way, was that i did nt want the stress of

the red tape at the immigration office etc etc, i was very happy to pay 5000 bahtbiggrin.png for their silver services,which includes doing the 90 day reports,also i had zero baht in my bank a/c,smile.png the head principle (lady,called pom)) of this agency runs a well oiled business,and is a expert on anything related to expats problems living here(not just visas),just rock up.give her your issues,and she will give the dope(good or bad)straight to your face,she has a lovely engaging personality,you will leave her office thinking you have known her all her life,whats more her english is perfect,,many thks to all for reading this postsmile.png ,and please remember*its a great life,as long as you dont weaken*..all have a nice daybiggrin.png

Tourist Visa for how many days? 30, 60 or 90? Or regardless?