Policeman falls to death from helicopter on Bangkok's Vibhavadi Road

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"For now the cause of death is being blamed on miscommunication between Monchai and the helicopter crew"

​How would a miscommunication cause him to fall out of a supposedly secure harness?

'Don't hit the harness release button'

'Hit the harness release button'

As a cameraman I have hung out of several helicopters using a harness and I don't understand how this could have happened. Incompetent morons.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't know how anything manages to work in this country. So many basic rules of safety and regulations are discarded or unobserved, I sometimes don't know how we avoid having the entire city collapse around our heads.

Yes, why can't the Thais be more like the Americans who never have any training accidents..................................oh....wait a moment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/20/army-helicopter-hard-landing-clayton-carpenter/4680575/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/four-marines-killed-accident-california-base-f2D11591595

http://www.campussafetymagazine.com/article/the-tragedy-of-training-accidents/Officer_Training

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/22/report-cause-deadly-training-accident-that-killed-7-marines-was-human-error/

There are many, many more on google.

It was an accident, accidents happen all over the world, sorry to interrupt the attack on Thai people with a dose of reality.

Now, carry on.

• Like 1

Very sad that a man who may have a wife and children should die for no reason.

My condolences to his loved ones.

Yes that is sad, but then how many men that do haves wives and children have died for no reason or had their lives and families destroyed by the enthusiastic use and abuse of state power by those who enjoy its monopoly?

Bit old for that type of carry on. RIP

Having done chopper rescue using a harness for offshore work, I am struggling to see how he fell out the harness

You would not believe how many professional solders have died doing this, some are that engrossed in what they are doing some even forget to get hold of the rope.

"For now the cause of death is being blamed on miscommunication between Monchai and the helicopter crew."

God, even Thais can't communicate with each other, I thought it was a just a Thai/Falang problem.

Many times I would ask a Thai person, "How do you say this word in Thai?" they would tell me. Then I would use the word with another Thai and they would explain, "You never use that word that way in the Thai language" - I swear there are some major problems in communication.

This accident is why I would also never trust any dangerous sport in Thailand like rock-climbing or sky-diving - Hell No.

• Like 1

I just don't know how anything manages to work in this country. So many basic rules of safety and regulations are discarded or unobserved, I sometimes don't know how we avoid having the entire city collapse around our heads.

Congratulations on your chicken little impersonation ;-)

"The sky is falling...the sky is falling...I must go tell the King."

media, on 24 Apr 2014 - 10:06, said:

(with sympathy) A tough lesson learned they clearly were not in a fit state to rescue anyone, Imagine if he fell with the person he was supposed to be rescuing as well ! - shouldn't they be practicing over water while they master these moves?

Mmmm, "a tough lesson learned," we can only hope so, but I for one doubt it.

tracker1, on 24 Apr 2014 - 11:14, said:

SAD so many avoidable incidences happening here A little more care, attention and knowledge needed I think. RIP

What happens so often is Thailand "copying" what others do, but lack the knowledge, skills, training and ability to do it correctly and safely.

• Like 2

Malthus101, on 24 Apr 2014 - 16:18, said:

"For now the cause of death is being blamed on miscommunication between Monchai and the helicopter crew."

God, even Thais can't communicate with each other, I thought it was a just a Thai/Falang problem.

Many times I would ask a Thai person, "How do you say this word in Thai?" they would tell me. Then I would use the word with another Thai and they would explain, "You never use that word that way in the Thai language" - I swear there are some major problems in communication.

This accident is why I would also never trust any dangerous sport in Thailand like rock-climbing or sky-diving - Hell No.

Have you ever been on a trip with ,some Thais (if I don't say some then I will be suspended...again), they know where they want to go, but often not know how to get there, so it take numerous stops at shops, servos private house etc, to ask directions, the funny thing is, some of those giving direction only "THINK" that is the way to go, even when I, a farang, using GPS, tell them it is the wrong way, do they believe me ...no way

• Like 2

Bit old for that type of carry on. RIP

Having done chopper rescue using a harness for offshore work, I am struggling to see how he fell out the harness

His gamberlings debt's went over the house rules...

Sad story for the family and friends. RIP.

It's always good to remember.... we're not in a 1st world country!

If you check in Wikipedia, we ARE in a 1st World country.

Facts and "Feel good" claims are not always the same !

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"For now the cause of death is being blamed on miscommunication between Monchai and the helicopter crew"

​How would a miscommunication cause him to fall out of a supposedly secure harness?

'Don't hit the harness release button'

'Hit the harness release button'

As a cameraman I have hung out of several helicopters using a harness and I don't understand how this could have happened. Incompetent morons.

C'mon all you ex Special Service guys languishing down in deepest Pattaya bar land, give a few examples of how you "had to hang out of helicopters" we love these thrilling tales. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Officer dies from fall out of a helicopter

Monthien Inthaket

The Nation

30232102-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A POLICEMAN succumbed to serious injuries sustained from a fall from a helicopter onto inbound Vibhavadi Road in Bangkok's Chatuchak district yesterday during an air-rescue rehearsal. Pol Snr Sgt-Major Monchai Boonpairoj, 52, was pronounced dead at Kasemrad Hospital Prachachuen at 1.30pm.

The drill, held by Provincial Police Region 1 and Police Aviation Division, involved two helicopters, each of which had four police officers onboard, explained Provincial Police Region 1 chief Pol Lt-General Nares Nathachote, who later visited the injured officer in hospital.

Citing an initial report, Nares said during the rehearsal, Monchai's leg got entangled with a sling while onboard before he fell out of the helicopter near the Vibhavadi-Rangsit traffic police station. Nares has instructed a fact-finding committee to investigate what happened and what caused this fall.

Monchai's body was transferred to the Institute of Forensic Medicine at Police General Hospital for autopsy.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-04-24

Don't see much sign of his harness here ?

Basil B, on 24 Apr 2014 - 00:15, said:
surangw, on 23 Apr 2014 - 21:26, said:

was the harness made in Thailand ?

I would have more confidence than if it were made in China.

All safety equipment should pass recognised safety standards, no matter where they are made.

And that include Quality Control during manufacture of not only the product but all the materials that go into it, China has a very bad record on Quality Control and corners are cut if they can source materials elsewhere cheaper.

Thai's and helicopters don't mix. I think they should send up the entire police force on training exercises.

But aren't nearly all Thai police qualified paratroops already? That is why most of them wear the winged badge so proudly on their uniforms.....

• Like 1

RIP to Senior police Sgt. Maj. Monchai Boonpairoj another high ranking intelligent police officer who knows absolutely everything there is to know about everthing including the safety procedures regarding harness fitting method statements and risk assessments, might take a bit of reading to understand guidelines though.

Edited by metisdead
Font fixed again.
  • Like 1

Maybe the rope snapped or the winch failed. The report doesn't actually say that he fell from the harness. You wouldn't normally have your arms stretched out as he had if you were in a controlled drop and the photo definitely shows the rope still attached [to him]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe he was doing a Thai special forces low parachute drop, got into the freefall position, and as he pulled his cord.... THUD!

Thai's and helicopters don't mix. I think they should send up the entire police force on training exercises.

But aren't nearly all Thai police qualified paratroops already? That is why most of them wear the winged badge so proudly on their uniforms.....

i think those wings denote they drink red bull, it gives them wings

I'm glad so many douchbags find this incident amusing. Snide little remarks and comments from people with little testicles, either spent their life hiding behind desks, risking all with their 9-5 jobs balancing company books or bludging off western welfare.

My thoughts are with this brave man who died during a training exercise, one where he was practising in order to be more efficient in the process of rescuing others. My thoughts are with his family and friends, including his colleagues.

Of corse there's always those posters here at TV that are quick to lump crap onto the cops. There was even a douchebag in another thread here claiming that all Police are hated worldwide, they're all bad, people like that make me sick and of course they have absolutely have no idea, they only see the bad. Time for some people to wake up !

Hopefully the reason for this tragic accident is realised and steps taken to prevent it from occurring again are put into place.

i think those wings denote they drink red bull, it gives them wings

This particular policemen certainly needed wings......