Nakhon Sawan Immigration Refusing Residence Certificates

Today I called Nakhon Sawan to confirm procedure for submitting application for Residence Certificate (1st year driving licence expiring, 5 year requested).

She said her boss was refusing the issue of these certificates and I would need to get this from Bangkok.

This will require hotels & at least 2 days travel, anyone else been issued with this certificate or had same problem at this immigration office? Are they mandatory?

If it was a phone call it is possible it there was some confusion about what you were wanting.

I don't recall any reports to them not doing them.

It might be worth the trip to the office to get things sorted out.

Fill out this form http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf and take some proof of address with you.

A trip to Bangkok immigration would not get you a residence certificate because they only do them for people making 90 day reports to them.

If they will not do it your only choice would be to the get one from your embassy.

• Like 1

I was actually calling to see if I could send any scanned documents to avoid driving from Uthai Thani.

She seemed pretty clear & her English was good, her boss was refusing to issue residence certificates (for driving licences).

Will have another go at local DLT to see if they will accept the letter of confirmation from police or amphur, and may be call Immigration service line to see if these certs are discretionary and get Mrs to call immigration again in Thai, thanks.

Edited by elliottm

Up here in Ubon they don't do them for driver licenses because the DL office gives you a form to be signed by immigration that may the case in Nakhon Sawan. You should check with the DL office to see if that is what they do there.

There are many immigration offices that do not issue residence certificates or are very restrictive on who they will do them for.

• Like 1

The girl I asked at Nakhon Sawan immigration told me her 'new' boss doesn't let her give the residence letter any more.

I went to the amphur in Nakhon Sawan with my wife and they supplied me/her with a letter which was accepted at the driving centre for my 2nd 5 year licence.

• Like 1

The girl I asked at Nakhon Sawan immigration told me her 'new' boss doesn't let her give the residence letter any more. I went to the amphur in Nakhon Sawan with my wife and they supplied me/her with a letter which was accepted at the driving centre for my 2nd 5 year licence.

Very interesting, thanks. Do you know what form they used, do you live in NS amphur?

NS Imm confirmed again today to my wife no residence letters and my DLT centre in my amphur (Ban Rai, Uthai Thani) just said they will only accept Embassy letter as the alternative (no ampjur/police confirmation).

I reckon the time & costs will be about 10k just for Embassy to look at the same rental agreement any local govt institute could!

Can I shop around DLTs/amphurs in the same province or does it have to be your local amphur per address?

Thanks.

"Yes a Letter of Residence is mandatory for a DL..."

Actually, it's not. There are several things that can be used for proof of address.

Imm letter, embassy letter, yellow house book and work permit are all acceptable.

Some LTD's do accept the little yellow house book and most do not have work permits.

The girl I asked at Nakhon Sawan immigration told me her 'new' boss doesn't let her give the residence letter any more. I went to the amphur in Nakhon Sawan with my wife and they supplied me/her with a letter which was accepted at the driving centre for my 2nd 5 year licence.

Very interesting, thanks. Do you know what form they used, do you live in NS amphur?

NS Imm confirmed again today to my wife no residence letters and my DLT centre in my amphur (Ban Rai, Uthai Thani) just said they will only accept Embassy letter as the alternative (no ampjur/police confirmation).

I reckon the time & costs will be about 10k just for Embassy to look at the same rental agreement any local govt institute could!

Can I shop around DLTs/amphurs in the same province or does it have to be your local amphur per address?

Thanks.

No form was used, the amphur asked my wife to affirm I lived at the same address as her tabien baan.

He typed it out, my wife signed it and he officially stamped it.

I am in amphur meung NS and so is the amphur and DLT. Not sure if shopping around will work but it's worth a try to avoid going to the thieving British embassy who I think will charge 2500. Assuming you are a Brit of course :-)

• Like 1

No form was used, the amphur asked my wife to affirm I lived at the same address as her tabien baan.

I am in amphur meung NS and so is the amphur and DLT. Not sure if shopping around will work but it's worth a try to avoid going to the thieving British embassy who I think will charge 2500. Assuming you are a Brit of course :-)

Yes, it was the Great British Rip Off I was trying to avoid! :D

Do you mind me asking was you staying at her tabien baan address, the wife's t/b is at her mum's house & we're in a town-house rental in a neighbouring town.

I could check if our amphur would validate an address by rental agreement & call Meung DLT if they'd accept an outside amphur, hopefully get their soon! :))

Yes, it was the Great British Rip Off I was trying to avoid! biggrin.png

Do you mind me asking was you staying at her tabien baan address, the wife's t/b is at her mum's house & we're in a town-house rental in a neighbouring town.

I could check if our amphur would validate an address by rental agreement & call Meung DLT if they'd accept an outside amphur, hopefully get their soon! smile.png)

Yes we live at the address on my wife's T/B.

I'm sure you can have your rental agreement validated at the amphur.

Good luck.

Edited by Changoverandout
  • Like 1

"There are several things that can be used for proof of address.

Imm letter, embassy letter, yellow house book and work permit are all acceptable."

"Some LTD's do accept the little yellow house book and most do not have work permits"

And many don't have yellow house books, but luckily you only need one of the items.

As has been posted, there are other ways that are also accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

Address confirmation from Embassy was 3,080bt (exchange rate of 56...I wish!), nearly 15k all told with trip to Bkk (more with loss of wife's earnings).

Now on my 3rd day of going to local DLT, I think tomorrow will be for fotos & collect a paper version (some broken English about no longer doing a plastic card).

All in all, an utter pain in the arse with the mockery of now driving to DLT on an expired licence as they keep sending me back the next day!

Address confirmation from Embassy was 3,080bt (exchange rate of 56...I wish!), nearly 15k all told with trip to Bkk (more with loss of wife's earnings).

Now on my 3rd day of going to local DLT, I think tomorrow will be for fotos & collect a paper version (some broken English about no longer doing a plastic card).

All in all, an utter pain in the arse with the mockery of now driving to DLT on an expired licence as they keep sending me back the next day!

Yes the Embassy is a den of thieves :-)

Shame the amphur letter didn't work, it did for me.

I wouldn't worry about driving on an expired licence, my last 5 year one was 4 months out of date when I applied.

You need to get in before 1st June as they're making stricter tests!! You may actually have to show them you can DRIVE!!

Also the 'soap opera' you have to watch is being extended to 4 hours I think! It will make all the difference to how Thai's drive I'm sure hahaha