Applying for Extension of Stay for Purpose of Retirement from ED

I could use some advice.

This is where I am:

I am in Phuket. I am retired and I am also a student. I am currently going to school as a student. I am coming to the end (30 days from now) of a six month Extension of Stay for the purpose of education. I have a Non-Immigrant ED visa. I could apply for an Extension of Stay for another six months for the purpose of education. That is, I meet all the qualifications for receiving such an extension (documents from my school, etc.).

There is where I would like to be:

I would like to get an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement. I meet all the qualifications for receiving such an extension (age, seasoned money in a Thai bank account, etc.), EXCEPT for a requirement of which I was previously unaware. Namely, that I must have a Non-Immigrant O visa, which I do not have. I had thought I could simply apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement by virtue of holding a Non-Immigrant ED visa, but was told this is incorrect.

When I attempted to apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement, I was told that I do not qualify because I do not have a Non-Immigrant O visa (true, I don't have one, just a Non-Immigrant ED visa). I asked how I could obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa.

It was first suggested that I could obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa by going to the Thai consulate in Ranong. Return to Phuket immigration in 3 months and apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement (now being in possession of a Non-Immigrant O visa).

It was then suggested that I could obtain an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement by paying 2,000 Baht for a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket for 2,000 Baht, and 1,900 Baht for the extension itself, which of course would be preferable as it would avoid the trip to Ranong.

When I say these things were suggested to me, I mean that I was told this by an immigration officer and/or an immigration volunteer in the Phuket office.

So I tried to go with the second alternative (obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket) and ran into a problem. I was asked whether I was finished with school. I said no, I continue to go to school and would like to continue to do that in the future, but I would like to extend my stay for the purpose of retirement. Again, I am both retired and a student. I was told I needed to get my school to write a letter to immigration stating that I had completed my education. I said that wasn't true, I wanted to continue on as a student, I just wanted to request an extension of stay based on retirement rather than education. I was told that without such a letter from my school I would be unable to obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket.

So with that long-winded background (sorry), my questions are these:

1) Is it a requirement to obtain an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement to hold a Non-Immigrant O visa (rather than a Non-Immigrant ED visa)?

2) Is it possible to obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa while in Thailand? Is the cost for this 2,000 Baht?
3) Is it better to get my Non-Immigrant O visa from Ranong rather than Phuket and thereby avoid having to get my school to write a letter saying I've completed my studies? I haven't and would like to continue my studies, regardless of whether my extension of stay is for retirement or education?
Why do I want to change my extension of stay purpose from education to retirement? Two reasons: I would like to limit the number of times I have to visit immigration (other than to file a 90 day report, something always seems to crop up, it's never a painless procedure), and the retirement extension seems to be on more solid ground than the education extension (the rules for the education extension seem to change every time I apply for one, leading me to believe that that trend could continue or worsen). Also of lesser importance, I have heard that if they do change the financial requirements for the retirement extension it is likely that people currently with that status would be grandfathered in under the current requirements (800,000 Baht). Therefore, I would like to get that status as soon as possible.
Finally, I'm a little curious (probably shouldn't be, but am) about why it seems I'm being discouraged from continuing my education once my extension purpose changes to retirement. Normally, I hear people complain about how the education extension is just a dodge so people can remain in Thailand. I really want to remain in Thailand, but I also really want to go to class! I must be missing something, because it's not making a lot of sense to me.
Thanks in advance, for your advice.

1. it is not required you have a non-o visa. You only need a non immigrant visa entry which you have from the ED visa you have extended already. You should be able to change the reason for your extension.

2. No it is not possible to get a non-o visa since you already have a non immigrant visa. You can do a conversion from a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry. You would have to leave the country and get a visa exempt entry to do the change.

3. There is no Thai embassy or consulate in Ranong all you can do there is border crossing to Myanmar. The nearest place to you is the consulate in Penang Malaysia..

I suggest you go back to immigration and ask for a supervisor. The people you were talking to gave you the wrong info.

Since your current extension is ending you should not need a letter from the school to change the reason for your extension.

Thanks ubonjoe. I see that I accidentally created two topics. Didn't mean to do that.

1. I thought as you stated it. Three different immigration officers claimed otherwise. I really would prefer to avoid going over their heads to a supervisor. I intend to be in Phuket a long time and will be seeing these guys for a long time and would therefore not relish antagonizing them unnecessarily.

2. If I did as you suggest here, I would have a visa exempt entry (30 days). Could I go from visa exempt entry --> retirement extension? Or would I have to go visa exempt entry --> non-immigrant O visa --> 3 months later retirement extension? And if the later path, would I be able to obtain a non-immigrant O visa in Thailand? I'm not sure why that was suggested rather than Penang, Malaysia, since it's farther away. Could it be that Myanmar does Non-immigrant O visas and Penang doesn't?

3. Thank you for correcting my error about Ranong.

You would have to go to Yangon to get a non-o in Myanmar.

If you did a border run you would get 30 days if you are from a G7 country for 15 days if not. That is what you can do in Ranong by crossing over to Myanmar and returning.

You would then apply for a non immigrant visa (TM87 form) and show the money in the bank proof to get it. Then after 60 days you would go back and apply for the extension of stay showing the money the again. You would need a new bank letter and bank book copies then showing the 800k baht in the bank for 60 days.

You could go back to immigration and try again. The volunteers are not official so I would not count them in the number you talked to. There have been reports of them giving wrong info before and some complaints about their attitude.

Edit: I have closed the other topic (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720900-applying-for-extension-of-stay-for-purpose-of-retirement-from-ed/) so lets keep the discussion here.

The problem here may be associated with the OP giving an impression of "continuing " his education.

All that is needed is a letter from the school confirming that the present period of education has ended or is ending in the near future..

A request to alter the reason for extension to retirement may then be met with some understanding.

The problem here may be associated with the OP giving an impression of "continuing " his education.

All that is needed is a letter from the school confirming that the present period of education has ended or is ending in the near future..

A request to alter the reason for extension to retirement may then be met with some understanding.

Thanks for the response, thepool.

I didn't initiate the conversation about the school. I was asked a question about whether the classes were over. They're not. I recently met the age requirement for a retirement extension, so I now potentially qualify for either extension of stay (education or retirement). I merely wish to pursue the extension of stay based on retirement rather than education. I'm not trying to have an extension for two purposes. Just trying to apply for a new purpose while giving up the old purpose. I'm starting to feel really dense. I'm not trying to get away with anything or subvert the process, just trying to understand what the process is for getting an extension of stay for retirement when my last extension of stay (which expires in 30 days) was for education.

I've paid for a year's worth of classes at my school. I've attended nearly 6 months worth of classes so far this term. I truly enjoy my class. If I continue attending my school after receiving an extension of stay for retirement it will be because I like my class, not because I'm getting the benefit of an education extension. I'm baffled at what the problem is. They seem like two entirely separate things to me. I'm not sure how they are related.

Thanks for the advice, anyway. All I'm really trying to do is get an extension of stay for the purpose of retirement. I never mentioned my current extension, but of course you have to disclose what visa you are using on the application form. That disclosure elicited the question about whether my classes were finished. If I stopped going to my classes. The honest answer to both questions is no. My classes haven't finished and I haven't stopped going to my classes. I'm just bewildered as to why that was the wrong answer, or why it raises a concern. Going to classes is my priority in Thailand, I can count the number of classes I have missed in the last 18 months on one hand. I understand if I get my requested extension of stay it will be because I meet the requirements for one based on retirement. I will no longer have the extension based on education. I understand that, just don't see what it has to do with my attending classes (as a retired person) in the future.

There is nothing wrong with him continuing his education. It can do it with any visa/extension or no visa entry (visa exempt entry).

The only time they mentioned the letter was to get non-o visa which he cannot get unless he does a border run and that would cancel out his current extension for going to school. Which cancels the need to get a letter.

• Like 1

I was in a similar situation. Was on Extension of Stay for the purpose of education and wanted to change my extension of stay for marriage.

Applying for marriage extension the immigration needed a letter from my school stating the completion of my school studies. This letter plus the usual paperwork for marriage extension are the conditions for convert the extension from ED to Marriage. You don't need to apply for a new Non-O-Visa.

The mentioned letter from my school was only for immigration, but I did not stop studying at my school, thats no problem at all, speak with your school and check the procedere.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is nothing wrong with him continuing his education. It can do it with any visa/extension or no visa entry (visa exempt entry).

The only time they mentioned the letter was to get non-o visa which he cannot get unless he does a border run and that would cancel out his current extension for going to school. Which cancels the need to get a letter.

I did not mean to imply the education could not be continued ! Clearly that is not the case.

What I was intending to suggest was where a "misunderstanding" may have occurred.

Edited by thepool

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I did not mean to imply the education could not be continued ! Clearly that is not the case.

What I was intending to suggest was where a "misunderstanding" may have occurred.

Maybe so. It makes more sense than anything else I can come up with ;-)

I was in a similar situation. Was on Extension of Stay for the purpose of education and wanted to change my extension of stay for marriage.

Applying for marriage extension the immigration needed a letter from my school stating the completion of my school studies. This letter plus the usual paperwork for marriage extension are the conditions for convert the extension from ED to Marriage. You don't need to apply for a new Non-O-Visa.

The mentioned letter from my school was only for immigration, but I did not stop studying at my school, thats no problem at all, speak with your school and check the procedere.

Thanks for the reply, futurespeter. Glad it worked out for you!

I guess I'm just trying to think too much about this. Will request a letter from my school. Maybe they've experienced this situation before. It would be nice to be able to get this done in Thailand, without having to leave. I guess they're being flexible enough about it, but I still don't really understand what the underlying concern is. Nevertheless, my understanding is definitely not one of the required steps to receive a favorable extension of stay request ;-)

HI

I can tell you from my experience , in Bangkok. it is possible and easy.

I had ED visa + 90 days extensions for more than two years , after age 50 I applied for extension based on retirement reason.

Here is what i did :

a/ letter from the bank saying i have 800K more than 60 days ( first time is 60,next year will be 90 )

b/ letter from school saying i no longer study

c/proof of residence might be asked .

First i went to "un-attach" the ED visa from the school , that is the purpose of the letter.

Then to the retirement officer showing letter of bank ,

30 minute later i got a 1 year visa for 1900 B.

Your ED visa is a NON-IMM type , equivalent to NON-O

The reason they ask for a letter from school is to void the connection of your visa/extensions from school

and change your 'status'

You can study Thai language at any school regardless your visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714054-ed-visa-to-retirment/

Good luck thumbsup.gif

HI

I can tell you from my experience , in Bangkok. it is possible and easy.

I had ED visa + 90 days extensions for more than two years , after age 50 I applied for extension based on retirement reason.

Here is what i did :

a/ letter from the bank saying i have 800K more than 60 days ( first time is 60,next year will be 90 )

b/ letter from school saying i no longer study

c/proof of residence might be asked .

First i went to "un-attach" the ED visa from the school , that is the purpose of the letter.

Then to the retirement officer showing letter of bank ,

30 minute later i got a 1 year visa for 1900 B.

Your ED visa is a NON-IMM type , equivalent to NON-O

The reason they ask for a letter from school is to void the connection of your visa/extensions from school

and change your 'status'

You can study Thai language at any school regardless your visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714054-ed-visa-to-retirment/

Good luck thumbsup.gif

Thanks very much for your helpful reply, Thonson.

I seem to be in something of a catch-22 at the moment. My school claims they don't know how to write such a letter, that they have never written such a letter for one of their students before. My school asked me to return to immigration and ask for a sample letter in Thai. I've just returned from immigration. Of course, there is no sample letter in Thai. The immigration officer I spoke to said the school must indicate that I have completed my studies. So now am about to return to the school and ask them to write a letter to immigration stating (as you say) that I no longer study.

Would it be too much to ask you to share the letter you used? Either here or by PM? I would be very appreciative.

Thanks again, for your response.