Applying for Extension of Stay for Purpose of Retirement from ED

This is where I am:

I am in Phuket. I am retired and I am also a student. I am currently going to school as a student. I am coming to the end (30 days from now) of a six month Extension of Stay for the purpose of education. I have a Non-Immigrant ED visa. I could apply for an Extension of Stay for another six months for the purpose of education. That is, I meet all the qualifications for receiving such an extension (documents from my school, etc.).

This is where I would like to be:

I would like to get an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement. I meet all the qualifications for receiving such an extension (age, seasoned money in a Thai bank account, etc.), EXCEPT for a requirement of which I was previously unaware. Namely, that I must have a Non-Immigrant O visa, which I do not have. I had thought I could simply apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement by virtue of holding a Non-Immigrant ED visa, but was told this is incorrect.

When I attempted to apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement, I was told that I do not qualify because I do not have a Non-Immigrant O visa (true, I don't have one, just a Non-Immigrant ED visa). I asked how I could obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa.

It was first suggested that I could obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa by going to the Thai consulate in Ranong. Return to Phuket immigration in 3 months and apply for an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement (now being in possession of a Non-Immigrant O visa).

It was then suggested that I could obtain an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement by paying 2,000 Baht for a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket for 2,000 Baht, and 1,900 Baht for the extension itself, which of course would be preferable as it would avoid the trip to Ranong.

When I say these things were suggested to me, I mean that I was told this by an immigration officer and/or an immigration volunteer in the Phuket office.

So I tried to go with the second alternative (obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket) and ran into a problem. I was asked whether I was finished with school. I said no, I continue to go to school and would like to continue to do that in the future, but I would like to extend my stay for the purpose of retirement. Again, I am both retired and a student. I was told I needed to get my school to write a letter to immigration stating that I had completed my education. I said that wasn't true, I wanted to continue on as a student, I just wanted to request an extension of stay based on retirement rather than education. I was told that without such a letter from my school I would be unable to obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa in Phuket.

So with that long-winded background (sorry), my questions are these:

1) Is it a requirement to obtain an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement to hold a Non-Immigrant O visa (rather than a Non-Immigrant ED visa)?

2) Is it possible to obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa while in Thailand? Is the cost for this 2,000 Baht?
3) Is it better to get my Non-Immigrant O visa from Ranong rather than Phuket and thereby avoid having to get my school to write a letter saying I've completed my studies? I haven't and would like to continue my studies, regardless of whether my extension of stay is for retirement or education?
Why do I want to change my extension of stay purpose from education to retirement? Two reasons: I would like to limit the number of times I have to visit immigration (other than to file a 90 day report, something always seems to crop up, it's never a painless procedure), and the retirement extension seems to be on more solid ground than the education extension (the rules for the education extension seem to change every time I apply for one, leading me to believe that that trend could continue or worsen). Also of lesser importance, I have heard that if they do change the financial requirements for the retirement extension it is likely that people currently with that status would be grandfathered in under the current requirements (800,000 Baht). Therefore, I would like to get that status as soon as possible.
Finally, I'm a little curious (probably shouldn't be, but am) about why it seems I'm being discouraged from continuing my education once my extension purpose changes to retirement. Normally, I hear people complain about how the education extension is just a dodge so people can remain in Thailand. I really want to remain in Thailand, but I also really want to go to class! I must be missing something, because it's not making a lot of sense to me.
Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

Good questions.

I think there are some grey areas here.

I think if you were just taking a Thai course and not linking that to your current legal stay, there would no issue whatsoever with going into retirement status. In fact there would no need to even mention it and no legal problem with not mentioning it.

So yes normally you can do a change of status to O at Phuket but you've got a complication which you explained.

So if I were you, I would just START FRESH, get a single entry O outside of Thailand and then go for the retirement extension at Phuket.

Yes you DO need an O in your passport to apply for your first retirement extension.

I would also make it official at your school that your continuing there is independent of your visa status.

Others might have other opinions, that's my take on it.

As an example, I'm on retirement extension status and I am confident there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever with taking courses here. But I wouldn't ask for an immigration connection to those courses. On retirement status, you can't legally work but taking classes is not employment.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1) Is it a requirement to obtain an Extension of Stay for the purpose of retirement to hold a Non-Immigrant O visa (rather than a Non-Immigrant ED visa)?

2) Is it possible to obtain a Non-Immigrant O visa while in Thailand? Is the cost for this 2,000 Baht?
3) Is it better to get my Non-Immigrant O visa from Ranong rather than Phuket and thereby avoid having to get my school to write a letter saying I've completed my studies? I haven't and would like to continue my studies, regardless of whether my extension of stay is for retirement or education?
1 - it is if they say it is - but be sure you are talking with an officer - not a foreigner helping out.
2 - yes but it is a conversion normally only from visa exempt or tourist visa entry - appear they are willing to do from ED if school confirms ED status is no longer required - be advise you must leave Thailand the day this happens by law.
3 - Ranong is in Thailand - there is no Consulate to obtain a visa. Believe they are talking about leaving and returning with a visa exempt entry of 15-30 days and then you would have to go through the step 2 process before doing actual extension. Or you could go to Penang to obtain a visa.

Good questions.

I think if you were just taking a Thai course and not linking that to your current legal stay, there would no issue whatsoever with going into retirement status. In fact there would no need to even mention it and no legal problem with not mentioning it.

So yes normally you can do a change of status to O at Phuket but you've got a complication which you explained.

So if I were you, I would just START FRESH, get a single entry O outside of Thailand and then go for the retirement extension at Phuket.

Yes you DO need an O in your passport to apply for your first retirement extension.

I would also make it official at your school that your continuing there is independent of your visa status.

As an example, I'm on retirement extension status and I am confident there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever with taking courses here. But I wouldn't ask for an immigration connection to those courses. On retirement status, you can't legally work but taking classes is not employment.

Thanks Jingthing.

So maybe I can go to Penang, obtain a single-entry Non-Immigrant O visa, and after 3 months apply for an extension of stay for the purpose of retirement in Phuket?

I was hoping there was something easier than that. Seems odd none of the stories of people with education extensions mentioned having to acquire an Non-Immigrant O visa first (because surely they only had Non-Immigrant ED visas before, right?) before making the application for extension of stay. In other words, if you're on an education extension wouldn't the only kind of visa you could have be a Non-Immigrant ED visa?

Thought I was doing something relatively simple. Doesn't seem to be turning out that way ;-)

There have been lots of people that have changed their extension to retirement from one for attending school (aka ED). I think most offices are glad to do it because it is less paperwork for them to deal with.

There is no written rule that says you can't. The police order for extensions of stay only states you need a non immigrant visa.

I thought so too but as his office is giving him flak, best to play their game.

Good questions.

Thanks Jingthing.

So maybe I can go to Penang, obtain a single-entry Non-Immigrant O visa, and after 3 months apply for an extension of stay for the purpose of retirement in Phuket?

I was hoping there was something easier than that. Seems odd none of the stories of people with education extensions mentioned having to acquire an Non-Immigrant O visa first (because surely they only had Non-Immigrant ED visas before, right?) before making the application for extension of stay. In other words, if you're on an education extension wouldn't the only kind of visa you could have be a Non-Immigrant ED visa?

Thought I was doing something relatively simple. Doesn't seem to be turning out that way ;-)

The rule for money seasoning 800K is two months for the first extension, and three months for subsequent extensions. You might want to ask people for what Penang requires to get you that O ... whether just being over age 50 is all they ask.