Abhisit offers to help end crisis

webfact

POLITICAL IMPASSE
Abhisit offers to help end crisis

The Nation

Democrat leader wants Yingluck to be involved in finding a solution before violence worsens

BANGKOK: -- The leader of the Democrat Party yesterday offered to become involved in the efforts to extricate Thailand from the ongoing political impasse and urged the prime minister to join the efforts for the sake of the country.

Abhisit Vejjajiva said that holding a new election as soon as possible, as sought by government politicians, would not help end the conflict as long as there were still millions of people who would not elect any individual candidates or political parties.

He said that in the February election, only 14 million out of 50 eligible voters cast their ballots for individual candidates or political parties.

Abhisit yesterday said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should take part in talks with related parties in order to help ease the deadlock so that the country could move forward. He said Yingluck has avoided such talks by arguing she was not the leader of the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

He called on the prime minister to show her sincerity in getting the country out of the political impasse.

"If Yingluck thinks there is a political deadlock and wants to get the country out of this situation, my question is: what does she think should be done? She asked other people to sit down and talk. My question is whether she is ready for such talks?" Abhisit said.

Abhisit, who was Yingluck's predecessor as premier, said it was the duty of all political parties, including his Democrat Party, to help find a solution for the country so that it could move forward.

He said that in a day or two he would propose his idea about solving the problem.

"I would like to talk with the government. If the prime minister is ready to involve the government in the talks, it will not be difficult. An appointment can be made," he said.

Abhisit noted that the latest round of political confrontation has continued for six months and that the prime minister and Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the antigovernment People's Democratic Reform Committee, have failed to reach any accord.

He said the confrontation should not continue until early next month, when the ongoing legal cases against the government could further complicate the conflict and bring increased violence. "We should attempt to find a solution within, say, the next 10 days," Abhisit said.

He added, however, that the effort to find a solution should be based on the principle of righteousness, and not benefitsharing.

Abhisit, who was the opposition leader before dissolution of the House of Representatives last December, was speaking in an interview broadcast on Blue Sky Channel, a proDemocrat and satellitebased television.

Over the past week, there have been attacks and threats against government critics. Among the targets were Dr Narong Sahametapat, permanent secretary at the Public Health Ministry, and Dr Rienthong Naenna, the director of Mongkut Wattana General Hospital.

On Tuesday, Abhisit abruptly decided to skip a meeting of political party representatives called by the Election Commission at a Bangkok hotel to discuss the date of a new election. The Democrats cited security concerns for the party leader following a thinlyveiled threat to his life by some redshirt supporters of Pheu Thai Party.

Abhisit said yesterday that he decided not to attend the meeting after intelligence showed there would be an attempt to use violence against him during the meeting.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-24

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you say this!! I dont believe they have some master plan yet. At least the one plan they do have for sure is getting the corrupt YL and her RED party out of office first and if possible out if politics. This is what the Thai majority showed they wanted in the last voided elections. But since the PTP leaders are adamant to remain in control it only makes sense that anothet election would prove to be useless. Since the PTPs idea of moving forward means forget or dismiss all that they did and will do its clear to see they also dont want to move forward.

Thailand will never move forward as long as both parties seek to be in power of this country.

As Mango put in the previous comment Abhisit should withdraw from politics. The same goes for YL and her family and her PTP party. I think if all of them are out of politics that the people could and would have a smooth election and have a new working Gov. Maybe the new Gov would be just as bad as this one. But that is a chance only. By Keeping these 2 parties in politics or in Gov it is a sure and proven fact that this country will not move forward and will again use their position to take advantage of the people and the countries coffers to better their own lives and those of their friends and families only.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One needs to look at the picture purely from a outside the square point of view , not ragging the colour shirt negative views, the position that is apparent ,Thailand is at a cross road , the question that CTPM Yingluck Shinawatra needs to address , is the PTP going to join mean-full talks and dialog or are we going to see a continuation of the substandard policies that are in place today, that's all Abhisit wants to know , are the PTP genuine in reforms ,if so what time frame , so far their has been silence from CTPM Yingluck on this subject, but a lot of negative comments from ministers of the current administration, who wont commit to a plan.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Mark: err umm give me the job again, and I'll ignore the peoples vote just like before,

Yingluck OK you want to try your hand at the job AGIAN? your last go wasn't to good errr, OK, let the people vote and see, the only fair way.

Suthep I'm gonna install myself as the BIG KAHUNA and I'll decide who can be PM but not until I say when, Oh and as for people voting yeah that's not gonna happen for quite a while.

• Like 2

Help ? sure thing JUST RUN IN AN ELECTION.....

Elections to elect who, you want them quick to have any chance of getting back in.

Half the persons to elect could be in the dock within a few months so there is no point. get elections on board when all has been dealt with. Too much to unravel to have Thailand go to the polls again.

Running an election doe's not smooth things out, it is all an excuse, the reason Yingluck made her mistake by dissolving and seeking a quick unclean vote.

• Like 2

Jeez, so many negative comments. My take is he is offering a compromise view & that is what this country needs right now before the radicals on either side plunge Thailand into darkness. So far all the offers of compromise have come with too many strings attached.

Compromise for what, The only way out is to be patient and let the judges decide who stays and who goes for starters.

Reforms are simple on paper.

Jail terms for anyone who is involved in corruption.

Revamp the police force -into serving the people, with proceeds for road blocks going direct to the treasury, that will snuff out much congestion on the roads, and get the police working as an effective role.

Elections and campaigning to be strictly monitored.

Government to have every Baht accounted for in any contracts/spending.

No one person with a criminal record to hold any government position.

The list goes on but here are some basics to start the reform.

• Like 2

This bloke really is a hopeless joke!

He doesn't seem to have any plans for his party to go forward.

He should be on the front foot showing the people his parties policies and what the democrats can bring to the table for a better Thailand .

Grow a pair and stop jumping how high sutep wants you to!

Stuttering Parrot, You hav'nt got a clue , have you... your mind seems stuck in your own little world... no wonder Thai childrens run away from Farangs...wai2.gif

Ha, cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

You can't begin to solve Thailand's problems without having a legitimately elected government. The true fly in the ointment isn't political dialogue, it's the aftermath of the Constitutional Court's ruling on the necessity of having elections 'on the same day'. Given this scenario, Thailand could face the prospects of disrupted elections ad infinitum. For those who are intent of destroying democracy in Thailand, it will take little effort.

If Abhisit and the Democratic Party are sincere in their efforts to resolve Thailand's problems, he/they must reject violence by all, reject any attempts to disrupt the people's right to vote and participate in the next election. In the meantime, if he wants to engage in discussions with the PTP, all well and good. But a plan would be a good place to start.

Politicians can not have a second chance.Ones out of office ,stay out.

As it is now (worldwide), old politicians bring in their old problems so nothing changes .

They keep fighting between themselves (mostly about stolen money from the poor)

Every 4 years we need new politicians ,and the old ones must be punished for their frauds

and be striped from their(and their families) assets .This will warn the new politicians what will happen to them

if they don't do their honest-best .

Also ban the different politician parties,they are no good and unnecessary and are the source

of division and costly block on the legs of a country. (did i say thieves?)

There is only 1 good line for a country so that is the program .Common sense will decide what is and what is not .

Nothing will be allowed on the program if the necessary funds are not available .

The army will do all the construction works ,building bridges ,roads......so no money to be made in giving

jobs to family and friends.

Here i stop , because i just woke up.coffee1.gif

Wasn't that long ago Suthep was calling YL out for an on stage, publicly aired "debate".

Mark was like Mini-Me behind Suthep, "He he, yeah, come on, let's debate on TV, he hee hee".

Now he's the voice of reason who wants to help? What's next, magic tricks and juggling eggs?

Funny you say this!! I dont believe they have some master plan yet. At least the one plan they do have for sure is getting the corrupt YL and her RED party out of office first and if possible out if politics. This is what the Thai majority showed they wanted in the last voided elections. But since the PTP leaders are adamant to remain in control it only makes sense that anothet election would prove to be useless. Since the PTPs idea of moving forward means forget or dismiss all that they did and will do its clear to see they also dont want to move forward.

Thailand will never move forward as long as both parties seek to be in power of this country.

As Mango put in the previous comment Abhisit should withdraw from politics. The same goes for YL and her family and her PTP party. I think if all of them are out of politics that the people could and would have a smooth election and have a new working Gov. Maybe the new Gov would be just as bad as this one. But that is a chance only. By Keeping these 2 parties in politics or in Gov it is a sure and proven fact that this country will not move forward and will again use their position to take advantage of the people and the countries coffers to better their own lives and those of their friends and families only.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Crap

I have to agree with you even though I feel Abhist is the best man for the job. There has been enough ill informed derogatory statements about him and the democrats that the people can not see the truth. There need not be any derogatory statements against the PTP their actions and own statements do that. No need for out side statements.

Things would be a lot easier with an educated voter base. As is most of them can only see and understand a baht in the hand right now and to heck with the future.

Where as a policy to offer them a baht in the hand all the time is not acceptable to them as they will have to work and wait for the policies to be in place to do that.

Wasn't that long ago Suthep was calling YL out for an on stage, publicly aired "debate".

Mark was like Mini-Me behind Suthep, "He he, yeah, come on, let's debate on TV, he hee hee".

Now he's the voice of reason who wants to help? What's next, magic tricks and juggling eggs?

Perhaps one of the more-aggressive UDD-leaders might juggle grenades, instead of eggs ? rolleyes.gif

Pathetic little man.

Both he and Yingluck should step down and then proceed with June 20th elections with any persons who threaten the process immediately detained.

So tell me, does Yingluck have any initiatives or is she hiding in CM?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

this is the guy who BOYCOTTS the elections? the guy who promises to ATTEND the EC meeting then FAILS?

he's got some nerve...

Abhisit doesn't attend the EC meeting because he has been advised by his own political party's security and state security agencies that they believe there is a credible threat against his life and you say, "he's got some nerve…."?

"Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmeetrakool said yesterday that intelligence sources from the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), the Democrat Party and state security agencies all warned that Abhisit would not be safe if he attended the meeting, she said."

On the other side of the equation PTP party leader doesn't show up at the same meeting because of what? And I suppose he has balls of steel?

"Pheu Thai Party leader Charupong Ruangsuwan also did not show up at the meeting"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720997-sources-confirm-abhisits-life-under-threat-democrats/

Maybe he already knew about the threat against Abhisit and didn't know that Abhisit knew as well and wasn't attending?

• Like 1