Outrage Over Tourist Kissing Buddha Statue

khwaibah

Simply another example of an ignorant western visitor behaving badly. If an Asian person clambered onto a statue of Jesus in Rome it would be equally offensive. But it is highly unlikely that any Asian apart from a Chinese would be so ignorant of how to behave. This girl needs taking on one side and dealing with severely.

• Like 1

This girl needs taking on one side and dealing with severely.

just what did you have in mind there???whistling.gif beat her? torture her?

maybe the police having a word with her about culture and respect and levying a good size fine on her, but "dealing with severely" sounds a bit drastic.

i still say tourists should be given a handout and required to read it about customs in these countries. this was standard practice in the 1980's when i first came. it was given out on the plane upon arrival or upon deplaning.

• Like 1

By saying 'dealing with severely' I left the door open for creative solutions that go beyond the simple legal actions. Sri Lanka has just deported a British woman for having a Buddha image tattooed on her upper arm. But that is nothing but a mere inconvenience for the person concerned. I would like to see this crassly ignorant woman subjected to something like having to clean the toilets in the temple for a month and/or stand in front of the entrance to the temple wearing a placard detailing her actions. She has grossly offended the national faith and her primitive behaviour needs a similarly primitive response. A pity there are no public stocks that she could be put into. If she had been similarly insulting to the followers of Islam her fate would have been much worse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

*yawn*

People do dumb things. Get over it. 99.99% of Thais have no idea, not even a hint, what the Buddha taught anyway. If they did, they would not be upset over this.

I dislike dumb people like this.

But i believe that Thais should forgive her, smile, say mai pen rai then instead focus on the foreign outrage caused by them and the fact that they are crazy in love with Adolf Hitler and are not afraid to show it...cars, advertisements, restaurants etc.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app