New Restaurant in Mae Jo

Pikey

Run by my good friend Con and his charming wife Nong, the place is called "Toon Pizza" and yep, it does pizza. Moreover, there are many other menu items and they are all delicious. Con used to be a butcher in his past life and to keep himself occupied, started making sausages, burgers e.t.c for himself and a few friends. After feedback, he decided to open the restaurant and teach his stepson "the trade" so as to secure his future. It's only been open a couple of weeks but deserves to be a success as all the menu items are 100% home-made - that's home-made pizza bases, sauce and even the cheese. Sausages and pattys are home-made as is the forchetta bread. Beers and wine are available too at cheap prices.

Toons is open 10AM - 10PM except wednesdays and to find it you head into Mae Jo on the 1001 and after crossing the lights at the junction with the "old" 1001, continue about 300m. There is a market on the corner to your left and the uni is on your right. Turn left at the market and head down about 400m. The restaurant is on the right and is marked by an orange rotating light.

I have no commercial interest in the place but am promoting it for my mate as it is genuinely great food and ran by good people.

Cheers,

Pikey.

2014425183002Large_zps0fe02e2f.jpg

2014425183014Large_zps66f1ebbd.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks Pikey-saw your review and went along today.

You are quite right about Con and Nong-charming people. And the food was great. He makes his own lasagne pasta sheets, his own ricotta, and focaccia. All very good . His pizza ice cream is pretty good too!

we will definitely return.

• Like 1

Went back to a restaurant my mate had his work do at today.

It was lovely. If you like kanum Jin and the sauces.

Got other things on the menu.

Fried rice with blaa too.

Grilled pork neck.

Blaa too dad deow.

Everything is fresh.

Worth a look and not expensive.

On suksonsawat rd .

If you come from town on tang duan ram intra/ ekamii.

Turn left on kaset/ navamin.

Then right on suksonsawat. Place on the left. Before chok chai school.

You won't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-58526-13985271035306_thumb.jpg

post-58526-13985271177799_thumb.jpg

If somebody can locate the restaurant on Google Map and post it , it would be easier to find the place. And then for those of us with GPS we can get there easily.

It is not always easy to find a location around Chiangmai if you are not familiar with the area and road signs not always in place.

Thanks

What does a Thai restaurant in BKK have to do with a farang restaurant in Mae Jo? I don't get the connection.

The title was new restaurant.

So figured I'd post here rather than making a new thread .

Damned if you do.

Damned if you don't.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is he from Newcastle ? "Toon pizza"

regards Worgeordie

No Sorry - Con is not another Geordie, Worgeordie..

He is Aussie and his son is called.... Toon. I asked the same but he had never heard of the Toon Army

I think it's been there years; I think it closed down and now reopened? Don't know if old location is the same but it sure sounds like it...

Past it on my Sunday rides but have never tried it...

CB

Not so- the building used to be apartments - restaurant newly opened.

CB and BT are both kind of right. Con had a much smaller restaurant at the front of the apartment block on the same location but has cleared out the apartments so as the restaurant and kitchens now take the downstairs part of the block. BTW, I had a pork & spinach lasagne there the other night - bloody lovely but be prepared to feel extremely full for quite sometime afterwards as the portion was huge.

Cheers,

Pikey

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Toon's yesterday and ordered the medium Italian pizza- it was the best pizza that I have eaten in Thailand! Con and his lovely wife Nong are gracious hosts and I felt like I was a guest for dinner, they were that friendly.

To add to OP Pikey's directions, I have added the following insert:

Toons is open 10AM - 10PM except wednesdays and to find it you head into Mae Jo on the 1001 and after crossing the lights at the junction with the "old" 1001, continue about 300m. There is a market on the corner to your left and the uni is on your right. Turn left at the market <immediately before the Krueng Thai Bank> and head down about 400m. The restaurant is on the right and is marked by an orange rotating light.

Here is a photo of Toon's

post-2362-0-70063300-1400634848_thumb.jp

Edited by Lancelot

• 1 month later...

Update on Toon after another great dinner visit there. Con has extended his range of home prepared and cooked meats which are not only served in the restaurant but bought 'wholesale' by customers to cook at home- and by some other well known restaurants.

His home made Italian Sausage has been followed by Bratwurst, and a range of home made pies. I can vouch for the chicken and leek, and the chicken and mushroom but have yet to try the steak pie, steak and kidney pie, or minced steak pie-just have to go back...

His salad is properly cleaned (so if you like your salad  with caterpillars bring your own) and he makes a great light olive oil dressing with a few black olives cut in-interesting flavours.

Although the OP says closes at 10pm I think its now 9-but will stay open obviously if folks arrive before 9.

Now has FB: TooN Pizza

I went to Toon's yesterday and ordered the medium Italian pizza- it was the best pizza that I have eaten in Thailand! Con and his lovely wife Nong are gracious hosts and I felt like I was a guest for dinner, they were that friendly.

To add to OP Pikey's directions, I have added the following insert:

Toons is open 10AM - 10PM except wednesdays and to find it you head into Mae Jo on the 1001 and after crossing the lights at the junction with the "old" 1001, continue about 300m. There is a market on the corner to your left and the uni is on your right. Turn left at the market <immediately before the Krueng Thai Bank> and head down about 400m. The restaurant is on the right and is marked by an orange rotating light.

Here is a photo of Toon's

attachicon.gif2014-05-20 17.30.35.jpg

Great, will check it out, I'm only up the road from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Toon's last week.

Really good food and excellent value for money!

Had the homemade Italian sausage, 2 big sausage's and a plate of chips for 150 baht, can't get better than that.

Ordered a pizza but was too stuffed to eat it so took it home, that was only 150 baht and tasted great.

Will definitely be back there again.

Con and Toon are very friendly people and it was a pleasure to talk with them and wish them all the best.