A Christian Church w/ English Speaking Pastor

user12345

Years ago I attended 7 fountains which is Catholic, the father there was a great guy, down to Earth and held some great masses.

He was even rebuked by the Catholic Church because he was allowing Protestant Ministers to preach at the church while he would go off and speak at theirs.

He told the Catholic Church that the Christian community was already small enough in Thailand, why did they find it necessary to fracture it into even small sects in the name of Dogma.

Cool guy, if I ever attended church again I would go there.

Years ago I attended 7 fountains which is Catholic, the father there was a great guy, down to Earth and held some great masses.

He was even rebuked by the Catholic Church because he was allowing Protestant Ministers to preach at the church while he would go off and speak at theirs.

He told the Catholic Church that the Christian community was already small enough in Thailand, why did they find it necessary to fracture it into even small sects in the name of Dogma.

That sounds like Fr. O'Brien, who died about 12 years ago. A great Christian and a fine priest. My gay partner and I used to go and chat with him (my partner was dying of cancer). He concentrated on the realities of the situation, and simply accepted the fact that we were gay.

That sounds like Fr. O'Brien, who died about 12 years ago. A great Christian and a fine priest. My gay partner and I used to go and chat with him (my partner was dying of cancer). He concentrated on the realities of the situation, and simply accepted the fact that we were gay.

I forget his name but this was 2005 - 2007.

one time many years ago the wife wanted me to take her to church one Sunday. it was somewhere along Huay Kaew long before all the development. i remember it was a on a huge piece of land. we went in and a farang priest who had to have been 85 years old but very fit and immaculately dressed in designer clothes, along with his farang wife (who reminded me of Tammy Faye Bakker), and about 6 Thai men all wearing white shirts and dark blue ties approached us and began interrogating us, asking us what we wanted, why we were there, who told us about the church, etc. (all in Thai). the old farang woman kept shouting at me "poot Anglit mai dai". the old guy told us that he had lived in Chiang Mai for more than 50 years. we were taken back of course but decided to go inside and see what this was all about. we went in and there were about 20 Thai men inside and about 10 Thai women, all in their late 20's-early 30's. the men all wore white shirts and blue ties and the women all wore conservative dresses. i was the only farang in there. every single one of the Thais stared at me and the wife when we walked in. the sermon was given by the old guy along with a very feminine young man in a very angry tone in Lanna dialect. it was very bizarre, almost like a cult or something. at some point the wife looked at me and winked and we made a beeline for the door and got in the car and took off as quickly as possible. it was one of the most bizarre things i've witnessed during my time here.

one time many years ago the wife wanted me to take her to church one Sunday. it was somewhere along Huay Kaew long before all the development. i remember it was a on a huge piece of land. we went in and a farang priest who had to have been 85 years old but very fit and immaculately dressed in designer clothes, along with his farang wife (who reminded me of Tammy Faye Bakker), and about 6 Thai men all wearing white shirts and dark blue ties approached us and began interrogating us, asking us what we wanted, why we were there, who told us about the church, etc. (all in Thai). the old farang woman kept shouting at me "poot Anglit mai dai". the old guy told us that he had lived in Chiang Mai for more than 50 years. we were taken back of course but decided to go inside and see what this was all about. we went in and there were about 20 Thai men inside and about 10 Thai women, all in their late 20's-early 30's. the men all wore white shirts and blue ties and the women all wore conservative dresses. i was the only farang in there. every single one of the Thais stared at me and the wife when we walked in. the sermon was given by the old guy along with a very feminine young man in a very angry tone in Lanna dialect. it was very bizarre, almost like a cult or something. at some point the wife looked at me and winked and we made a beeline for the door and got in the car and took off as quickly as possible. it was one of the most bizarre things i've witnessed during my time here.

Very odd.

Scarier than that, the hill tribes in MHS have tons of missionaries go up there. I was there for one of their huge Christian social gatherings. All the foreign speakers were American Southern Baptists spouting all this fire and brimstone shit.

Very odd.

Scarier than that, the hill tribes in MHS have tons of missionaries go up there. I was there for one of their huge Christian social gatherings. All the foreign speakers were American Southern Baptists spouting all this fire and brimstone.....

You can find any number of oddball practicioners up in the hills ranging from evangelicals to Baptists to very questionable YWAM members. Notably, many of the younger Catholic priests are now indigenous folks. There are also many rather shallow Thai evangelicals of various persuasions who tend to be on the edge where Christianity intersects with animism, similar to what you find in South American Catholicism. But you can also find some down to earth folks, especially out at Payap, like Alan Eubank or Esther Wakeman. So it is a mixed bag and one does need to shop around if you have not yet taken your first steps, as I have long done, moving towards an atheistic perspective.

Very odd.

Scarier than that, the hill tribes in MHS have tons of missionaries go up there. I was there for one of their huge Christian social gatherings. All the foreign speakers were American Southern Baptists spouting all this fire and brimstone.....

You can find any number of oddball practicioners up in the hills ranging from evangelicals to Baptists to very questionable YWAM members. Notably, many of the younger Catholic priests are now indigenous folks. There are also many rather shallow Thai evangelicals of various persuasions who tend to be on the edge where Christianity intersects with animism, similar to what you find in South American Catholicism. But you can also find some down to earth folks, especially out at Payap, like Alan Eubank or Esther Wakeman. So it is a mixed bag and one does need to shop around if you have not yet taken your first steps, as I have long done, moving towards an atheistic perspective.

One thing to note as well from a broader perspective... All it takes is a quick glance around to see the "mixed bag" you speak of spanning across the entirety of spiritual belief systems. When it comes to making a decision on who to trust, I examine the core qualities of the human beings behind the religion/belief with charity being the main focal point given the fact that it gives such a clear image of ones level of selflessness. In that category, without exception, Christians far exceed any other religious group in the world. Hundreds of millions of suffering people have a bite to eat and receive the medication they need because Christians have provided it for them. Otherwise, they would simply die. No other religion seems to care nearly as much and that certainly includes people of an "atheistic perspective". So its important to remember that just because you happen to have a few bad experiences doesn't mean you should generalize the largest religion on Earth and deny the existence of God. Bless your journey.

And forgive me if I seem a little argumentative because thats not my intent. Its just that after meeting many atheists and traveling through China where the vast majority are atheist I've seen first hand that whether atheism is true or not, it certainly isn't a beneficial mind set for any society. People don't realize what they're trying to sell when they make recommendations toward atheism. Go to China and have a talk with some of the OGs who lived through the cultural revolution. They will tell you that the complete collapse of moral integrity you see there is a direct result of the CCP enforcing an "atheistic perspective". Now people cook street food in gutter oil, eat dead fetuses to maintain beauty and don't even care enough to help little girls dieing in the street.