How To Move To Thailand From Australia

Hi, My name is Lynne, a 31-year old lady with an Australian passport.

I have a few questions.

1) I would like to move to Thailand, probably somewhere in Pattaya, buy a condo or a house for around 5 million baht, set up a small business and live in Pattaya for long. What sort of visa can I apply?

2) Will that sort of visa be allowed to apply for resident visa 3 years later?

3) How can I bring my car and my furniture over? Plus is there any tax, and if there is, how much for the car, which is a big car of about 2 years old.

4) Is the voltage in Thailand 110V or 220V?

Please help. Thank you very much!

If you buy a condo greater than 3 million baht you will be fine while you keep the property or reinvest if you do sell it. Forget that the car the duties etc will kill you. The electric is 220 volt 50 cycle so appliances will be ok, and the TV is PAL so again, no problem Where in Oz do you reside ?

Dr_Pat_Pong,

I reside in the CBD of Sydney, New South Wales state.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have a few more questions.

1) If I buy a condo greater than 3 million baht, what visa do I get, how long can I stay and how do I eventually get the resident visa after the 3-year stay?

2) Can I live in that condo?

3) Are there any restrictions in selecting the condo? I heard that ferangs can only buy condos registered with the board of investment. Can I buy several condos with the total over 3 million baht? Can I invest with a non-thai friend to buy a condo of over 6 million baht and put the condo in 2 names?

4) Can you tell me some web sites with good value thai properties, instead of the ones with tourist expensive prices? If the condo needs to be registered, how can I tell if the condo is registered or not?

5) I like my car very much and the manufacturer no longer makes that model, it may be hard for me to find a car similar to that, would you kindly tell me what is the tax duty to bring the car to Thailand?

6) Are there any affordable and reputable migration and/or legal service in Thailand or in Oz that you can kindly recommend?

Please assist! Thank YOU very much!

Can someone please help with my questions?

Thank YOU in advance.

Talk to the Sydney Thai Consulate General 131 Macquarie Street, 9241 2542 about the investment visa. As far as I aware, you still need to extend that visa for a year at a time in Thailand, and after 3 annual consecutive extensions, you are entitled to apply for PR. Until you actually get that one year extension, you have no entitlement to import goods and chattels. The car simply is not worth taking at all.

1) If I buy a condo greater than 3 million baht, what visa do I get, how long can I stay and how do I eventually get the resident visa after the 3-year stay?

Non-immigrant visa should last for one year and you can renew every year.

2) Can I live in that condo?

Yes

3) Are there any restrictions in selecting the condo? I heard that ferangs can only buy condos registered with the board of investment. Can I buy several condos with the total over 3 million baht? Can I invest with a non-thai friend to buy a condo of over 6 million baht and put the condo in 2 names?

4) Can you tell me some web sites with good value thai properties, instead of the ones with tourist expensive prices? If the condo needs to be registered, how can I tell if the condo is registered or not?

5) I like my car very much and the manufacturer no longer makes that model, it may be hard for me to find a car similar to that, would you kindly tell me what is the tax duty to bring the car to Thailand?

6) Are there any affordable and reputable migration and/or legal service in Thailand or in Oz that you can kindly recommend?

There are a lot of law firms that do immigration work. Check for http://webindex.sanook.com/business/law/.

Don't assume that you get PR in the end of 3 years as there are only 100 Australians get Thai PR every year. It's quota.