BKK to LAX Economy, How is Delta?

mogandave

I do the LAX-BKK several times a year and have been pretty happy with United, as I always got economy-plus, and I love the new B787.

Unfortunately, United dropped the BKK-NRT route, which means I have to code-share on ANA. Seat spacing on ANA is unacceptable.

I am thinking of going up on United and going with Delta. Delta has a better schedule, but I will be stuck in economy.

Anyone fly this route? If so, how is the seat spacing and entertainment?

Any other decent flights with good seat spacing?

I'm headed that way mid/late June. May not be your FFP program, but I keep leaning toward Asiana for service rep. Price has been around $1,200 and change r/t. Reviews seem to universally say the ECO seats are very good. Downside is the layover in ICN.

One guy I know uses Cathay Pacific. Combines it with stopovers in Hong Kong. Prices were quite good.

I'm not the guy Craig knows but I fly Cathay Pacific regularly between JFK and either BKK or CNX. Prices are fair in the winter but summer prices have climbed to an unacceptable level. If you fly twice a year between the US and BKK on CX (30,000 miles) the perks are pretty good -- free lounge access, priority seating available, and usually a free upgrade to Premium Economy (it used to be a free upgrade to a flat bed Biz Class seat, but no more now that there is Premium Economy in between). But for those first few flights you'll be stuck in economy with full planes (from JFK), slightly cramped seats, and noisy passengers.

The fare next month on United was 45% less than on CX so for the first time ever, I'm trying United instead. I realize I'm not going to be happy on that ANA flight, 6+ hours each way.

My best flights across the Pacific in Y class have been on Asiana. Good service and acceptable legroom. As someone else has said, the layover isn't that great, although in my case, I stayed in Seoul for a night or two in one direction. Thai Premium Economy on non-stop flights was wonderful, but alas, was scrapped with the non-stop flights. I wouldn't fly CX - my last experience with them was on a short flight from Osaka to Hong Kong on a plane with limited legroom, but generous recline. Terrible if you're tall, but great for people who aren't.

One guy I know uses Cathay Pacific. Combines it with stopovers in Hong Kong. Prices were quite good.

I'm not the guy Craig knows but I fly Cathay Pacific regularly between JFK and either BKK or CNX. Prices are fair in the winter but summer prices have climbed to an unacceptable level. If you fly twice a year between the US and BKK on CX (30,000 miles) the perks are pretty good -- free lounge access, priority seating available, and usually a free upgrade to Premium Economy (it used to be a free upgrade to a flat bed Biz Class seat, but no more now that there is Premium Economy in between). But for those first few flights you'll be stuck in economy with full planes (from JFK), slightly cramped seats, and noisy passengers.

The fare next month on United was 45% less than on CX so for the first time ever, I'm trying United instead. I realize I'm not going to be happy on that ANA flight, 6+ hours each way.

I havent' flown back to the US in over a year and 1/2 now. Use to go 2-3 times every year. So my knowledge is a bit out of date. But the last year or so I was using United due to their extremely low fares and good schedules. Service was OK,but not great. Planes were a bit tired at times. But the savings made up for it, especially since there were 2 of us flying.

45% less...wow...that's significant!!

Korean Air economy class is $1,112 between BKK and LAX. Ensure you book the A380 (flight #11 and #12) between Seoul and LAX.

Japan Airlines new business class flatbed Sky Suites is $3,147 between BKK and LAX. Ensure you book flight #32/33 on their remodeled 767 and #61/62 on their remodeled 777.

Good Luck!

from my iPad in Cha-Am

I flew back in November. American code share with JAL stopover NRT for about 1 hr. New 787 plenty of leg room and JAL had very good service. Not sure what your final destination is but I was going to San Diego and got a direct flight from NRT to

San Diego.

I've flown Delta, BKK-LAX coach about 6 times in the last year...dread it every time., though they did improve to the point where they are a touch better than United.

Check in is always very slow...very strict security, many questions, extremely slow baggage inspection.

The flights always seem full...FA's really busy and not attentive...very understaffed compared to CX, EVA, Korean or Asianna and with a Wallmart attitude.

Food service is slow. You will be charged $7 for anything alcoholic besides beer and wine. You will also be charged for "Premium Content" on IFE

Leg room and seat width is slightly better that UA...but not saying much.

C&I at the Delta Terminal at LAX can be a breeze....or an absolute catastrophe. I've been through in as little as 20 minutes but 3 months ago it took 4 1/2 hours...after the first 2 hours, we were still in the hallway before Immigration....I missed a connecting flight in which I had built in 4 hours between flights. CBP could not have cared less and went about things as though there was no line at all...Ho-Hum.

If it were up to me, I'd never fly them again...but it's not me who's paying.

• Like 1

I've flown Delta, BKK-LAX coach about 6 times in the last year...dread it every time., though they did improve to the point where they are a touch better than United.

Check in is always very slow...very strict security, many questions, extremely slow baggage inspection.

The flights always seem full...FA's really busy and not attentive...very understaffed compared to CX, EVA, Korean or Asianna and with a Wallmart attitude.

Food service is slow. You will be charged $7 for anything alcoholic besides beer and wine. You will also be charged for "Premium Content" on IFE

Leg room and seat width is slightly better that UA...but not saying much.

C&I at the Delta Terminal at LAX can be a breeze....or an absolute catastrophe. I've been through in as little as 20 minutes but 3 months ago it took 4 1/2 hours...after the first 2 hours, we were still in the hallway before Immigration....I missed a connecting flight in which I had built in 4 hours between flights. CBP could not have cared less and went about things as though there was no line at all...Ho-Hum.

If it were up to me, I'd never fly them again...but it's not me who's paying.

If you've flown them six times, do you get upgraded to the economy plus? I don't care about the food or entertainment, but spacing is a big deal. I like the economy plus on United, and until they dropped the route, I was pretty happy with them.

I thought the UA premium economy product was the absolute worst of the various airlines now offering it. They merely took the first ten or so aisles in coach, marginally increased pitch and seatwidth but not so you'd really notice, served the same substandard food in minuscule portions and were no more attentive to premium passenger needs than any other,

About the only benefit is boarding before the rest of economy.

Not worth the additional fare nor air miles unless they are about to expire anyway.

I thought the UA premium economy product was the absolute worst of the various airlines now offering it. They merely took the first ten or so aisles in coach, marginally increased pitch and seatwidth but not so you'd really notice, served the same substandard food in minuscule portions and were no more attentive to premium passenger needs than any other,

About the only benefit is boarding before the rest of economy.

Not worth the additional fare nor air miles unless they are about to expire anyway.

I tend to agree, but with the United Mileage-Plus gold card I get the upgrade free automatically every time I book. Three trips a year qualifies for gold.

The BKK-NRT was not bad before they canceled, and he 787 from NRT to LAX it is pretty darn nice for the money.

The BKK-NRT was not bad before they canceled, and the 787 from NRT to LAX it is pretty darn nice for the money.

Nice gold lounges at BKK, NRT & LAX as well.

The only thing that blows is the BKK-NRT.

Well, ended up staying with United. $!,474.80 with taxes.

I do like the schedule, and the economy plus on the B787 is great.

It’s also nice to keep up the Star Alliance gold as I fly Thai a bit.

Thanks for the input.