Ragu Italian country kitchen open at promanada

kcore

Hopefully this will be helpful to some and sorry for any redundancy. As other posts have mentioned the shuttle bus schedule went from 4 routes to 2 routes effective July 1st. Also, as previously posted, it's from the tourist areas on the east side of town. Maybe that will change again during "High Season?" I went to the Promenada Website for the schedule and didn't see a drop down box or schedule listed:

www.promenadachiangmai.com

BUT.......go to the website and plug in "SHUTTLE BUS SCHEDULE" in the search box. That will give you the routes and times.

Also, per other comments. I have grabbed a Red Bus from the street (Super Highway) outside of Maya for 100 Baht. That took some negotiating and the lowest price I've ever had. Most will say 150 to 200. I have also grabbed a Red Bus near KSK for 150. Again with some negotiating and if I'm not busy I might pass on a couple of Red Buses until the price is right.....there's plenty of Red Buses as everyone knows.

Also, if you have the time grab a Red Bus to one of the hotels listed on the schedule......20 baht. Shuttle bus back to the hotel and Red Bus back....20 baht. Again if you have some time 40 baht round trip beats 400 baht and can buy a decent lunch/dinner at Dukes or Ragu. I've also done the Tuk Tuk route and mostly pay 200 baht. To each their own schedule and certainly their own budget!

Finally, I think (?) the New Mexican place is called Baja Joes. But I also have my senior moments???

finisci di mangiare!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the free Promenada songthaews go to and from the tourist areas or do you have to pay one way? Those sandwiches at Rago sound like they might actually be worth the trip.

Last I checked a few months ago, they pick up at the Amora hotel and La Meridian for you downtowners.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some and sorry for any redundancy. As other posts have mentioned the shuttle bus schedule went from 4 routes to 2 routes effective July 1st. Also, as previously posted, it's from the tourist areas on the east side of town. Maybe that will change again during "High Season?" I went to the Promenada Website for the schedule and didn't see a drop down box or schedule listed:

www.promenadachiangmai.com

BUT.......go to the website and plug in "SHUTTLE BUS SCHEDULE" in the search box. That will give you the routes and times.

Also, per other comments. I have grabbed a Red Bus from the street (Super Highway) outside of Maya for 100 Baht. That took some negotiating and the lowest price I've ever had. Most will say 150 to 200. I have also grabbed a Red Bus near KSK for 150. Again with some negotiating and if I'm not busy I might pass on a couple of Red Buses until the price is right.....there's plenty of Red Buses as everyone knows.

Also, if you have the time grab a Red Bus to one of the hotels listed on the schedule......20 baht. Shuttle bus back to the hotel and Red Bus back....20 baht. Again if you have some time 40 baht round trip beats 400 baht and can buy a decent lunch/dinner at Dukes or Ragu. I've also done the Tuk Tuk route and mostly pay 200 baht. To each their own schedule and certainly their own budget!

Finally, I think (?) the New Mexican place is called Baja Joes. But I also have my senior moments???

finisci di mangiare!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update. I had lost my schedule. I see that the songthaew's are now one hour apart. I guess that explains why there is only two shuttles now. I have only used the tuck tuck twice both time with people unwilling to wait and the money was nothing to them.

As an earlier poster missed I said it only cost 180 baht for a taxi back and 200 baht for a songthaew. Those were both return trips which the information desk arranged for us. I left a sandwich from Ragu in the back seat of the Taxi. I hope the driver enjoyed it. I rarely shop at a mall generally food a movie or the grocery store. The rest I just browse. I find the Promenada to be a nice mall and am going to have to look around it with out my wife. She is not a window shopper.

Like many of the other people who have posted in this thread, I also live near Maya Mall and I also wonder why there isn't even one single decent western restaurant in the complex. On the 3rd floor of Maya there seems to be an Iraqi restaurant under construction, but that's been going on for a while now with no visible signs of opening any time soon. Perhaps Maya is where the Mexican restaurant is going to open (that would be appropriate, wouldn't it?)? Will they have a Thai mariachi band strolling around serenading the diners? I've got a good name for the place, "Señor Somchai's". Anyone else have a creative name for a Mexican restaurant in Chiang Mai?

• Like 2

Like many of the other people who have posted in this thread, I also live near Maya Mall and I also wonder why there isn't even one single decent western restaurant in the complex. On the 3rd floor of Maya there seems to be an Iraqi restaurant under construction, but that's been going on for a while now with no visible signs of opening any time soon. Perhaps Maya is where the Mexican restaurant is going to open (that would be appropriate, wouldn't it?)? Will they have a Thai mariachi band strolling around serenading the diners? I've got a good name for the place, "Señor Somchai's". Anyone else have a creative name for a Mexican restaurant in Chiang Mai?

the Mexican joint "Baja Joes" will be at Promenada, not Maya. an Iraqi or other Middle Eastern restaurant will be a welcome addition to a mall.

Once again I have to laugh at the flush foreigners going back and forth about the possibility of "free rides" by songtaews! Come on people. What country in the world offers free transportation from one location to another? Have any of you checked the price of petrol lately? Do you realize that these drivers have families to support and kids to put through school and college? These people can't be making much money after expenses; i.e. rent on the bus, repairs, petrol, etc., etc. Frankly I think it's shameful to even consider it. Thais would not talk like that.

Once again I have to laugh at the flush foreigners going back and forth about the possibility of "free rides" by songtaews! Come on people. What country in the world offers free transportation from one location to another? Have any of you checked the price of petrol lately? Do you realize that these drivers have families to support and kids to put through school and college? These people can't be making much money after expenses; i.e. rent on the bus, repairs, petrol, etc., etc. Frankly I think it's shameful to even consider it. Thais would not talk like that.

Actually where I come from they have many such shuttles

I have a truck,motorbike,scooter etc here so have never used a shuttle in Thailand but...

I think your confused as to how these shuttles work

The mall pays the shuttles as it is good for their business to promote an easy way for folks both with

(but do not want to hassle with parking in places like Maya for example) & without their own transportation to get

to the mall.

Where I come from there are free shuttles to malls, Hotels, rent a car places etc.

All those places mentioned pay for the shuttle some even buy a custom shuttle vehicle & hire a driver.

Again because it is good business sense for them.

Silly to think a shuttle is running out of the goodness of the drivers heart & then cannot

pay their expenses.

Also where I come from most riders also tip a shuttle driver so they actually do quite well.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Actually, by using the mall's shuttle service you are keeping the driver employed, would you rather he or she be driving yet another red car around endlessly? Are you so out of touch that you think the drivers of "free" shuttles work for free and pay their own maintanence and fuel costs? I do find your often elitist posts amusing though so carry on old chap.

----------

I agree, I wish there was a Western restaurant at Maya. I think poor planning on the developers part with Nimmanhaman (sp) so close. I enjoy Thai/Asian food but wish a Dukes, Ragu or even a Mexican restaurant by their organization were there. Like northernjohn, I like Promenada Mall but I'm just not close to it. So I usually plan my trip there for my Western Food Fix. I'll often get there mid day and lunch at Dukes.....then see a movie and/or get a massage. Maybe take care of some bank business and definitely do some light shopping at Rimping. Then I'll either have an early dinner at Ragu or get one of their GREAT Western sandwiches to go! Baja Joe's will make it even better for a nice choice. As far as good names for a Mexican restaurant?

How about "TACO THAI, TING TONG TACO, ME LUB TACO'S LONG TIME or.......BUFFALO BURRITOS"........home of where the Buffalo really did die.......REALLY!!!

• Like 1

El Dukeo's

I fully agree with you that is why I leave a tip. Their cost of living has risen in the last four years and the fares have stayed the same.

I have seen people posting songthaew prices of 17 and 18 baht. When they first came out with the 17 baht a few years ago I recall people talking about it. I didn't even consider it then. It was 20 baht to me. Now 25 or 30 dependent on where I am going. Obviously longer distances are going to cost more.

I suppose getting a ride to where Ragu is can be considered on topic.

Paying more than locals pay for something in Thailand is misunderstanding the culture by foreigners. Many times this is because foreigners do not go outside the foreign influenced areas often.

If there are any doubts, ask a few local Thai people to explain why paying more than they would is not a good idea. I would be interested if anyone would then share this answer.

----------

I agree, I wish there was a Western restaurant at Maya. I think poor planning on the developers part with Nimmanhaman (sp) so close. I enjoy Thai/Asian food but wish a Dukes, Ragu or even a Mexican restaurant by their organization were there. Like northernjohn, I like Promenada Mall but I'm just not close to it. So I usually plan my trip there for my Western Food Fix. I'll often get there mid day and lunch at Dukes.....then see a movie and/or get a massage. Maybe take care of some bank business and definitely do some light shopping at Rimping. Then I'll either have an early dinner at Ragu or get one of their GREAT Western sandwiches to go! Baja Joe's will make it even better for a nice choice. As far as good names for a Mexican restaurant?

How about "TACO THAI, TING TONG TACO, ME LUB TACO'S LONG TIME or.......BUFFALO BURRITOS"........home of where the Buffalo really did die.......REALLY!!!

"Taco Thai" is awesome (there's a chain of fast food Mexican places on the west coast of the U.S. called Taco Time, ha).

Their cost of living has risen in the last four years and the fares have stayed the same.

The fares have risen 400% since I've been here.

Almost as much as the cost of books.cheesy.gif

You might want to give us the year when the cost was half a baht for a songthaew.wai.gif

Edited by northernjohn

Hi Wopanese,

I never heard of Taco Time and I spent 10 years on the west coast but left 25 years ago. Maybe after my time. I remember Del Taco and there was a more upscale chain called El Torito. I don't know if they still exist. Changing the subject a little I always liked In and Out Burger!!!

Where I live now, when I go back to the states, there are a lot of Taco Bells but when I want to step up there's a more upscale chain called Rocco's Tacos! Great overall Mexican food and GREAT Margaritas!!! There's nothing like a good margarita with good Mexican food!!!

Their cost of living has risen in the last four years and the fares have stayed the same.

The fares have risen 400% since I've been here.

Almost as much as the cost of books.

You obviously have not been here very long or don't read much. The price of books has been relatively stable for many years.

Hi Wopanese,

I never heard of Taco Time and I spent 10 years on the west coast but left 25 years ago. Maybe after my time. I remember Del Taco and there was a more upscale chain called El Torito. I don't know if they still exist. Changing the subject a little I always liked In and Out Burger!!!

Where I live now, when I go back to the states, there are a lot of Taco Bells but when I want to step up there's a more upscale chain called Rocco's Tacos! Great overall Mexican food and GREAT Margaritas!!! There's nothing like a good margarita with good Mexican food!!!

Del Taco and El Torito are indeed still going strong in California, but as a longtime Californian, I would suggest that what these big chains offer is far from real Mexican food. It might be tasty to gringos (as the Mexicans like to call us white folks) but it 's far from the authentic Mexican food you find south-of-the-border and at some of the better Mexican restaurants in LA. It reminds me of the old Cantonese Chinese restaurants in the US. We called it "Chinese Food" but it was far from the kind of food you might enjoy in Hong Kong. Strictly tailored to American palates. As for the Margaritas - well, after a couple of them...crazy.gif

Hi Wopanese,

Del Taco and El Torito are indeed still going strong in California, but as a longtime Californian, I would suggest that what these big chains offer is far from real Mexican food. It might be tasty to gringos (as the Mexicans like to call us white folks) but it 's far from the authentic Mexican food you find south-of-the-border and at some of the better Mexican restaurants in LA. It reminds me of the old Cantonese Chinese restaurants in the US. We called it "Chinese Food" but it was far from the kind of food you might enjoy in Hong Kong. Strictly tailored to American palates. As for the Margaritas - well, after a couple of them...crazy.gif

true but the old Cantonese Chinese restaurants in California from the 1950's-1980's were like nothing else. some of them were absolutely fantastic. combined with a great bar and great hosts they beat the pants of anything in Hong Kong.

"Taco Thai" is awesome (there's a chain of fast food Mexican places on the west coast of the U.S. called Taco Time, ha).

-------

Is it TacoTime or ........."TACO THAI...Mmmmmmm"

Maybe we could do an Asian Franchise Extensin!!!

The Chiang Mai Thai Visa Forum is my kind of place! The thread starts out talking about Italian food and here we are talking about Mexican and Chinese - as I said, "my kind of place!" wai2.gif

To top it all off they have taken it from one Italian restaurant in Thailand to chains of restaurants and single owner ones on another continent.clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Well after a family dinner at Ragu all we have to say is "7 stars" all the way.

Plates were as clean as a whistle at the end.

Every dish superb. Quality, taste, service, friendliness, price, atmosphere. For us this place has it all.

The mushroom ravioli was on the specials board tonight, it was mind blowing.

I've only ever eaten Italian this good at Lygon St, Melbourne, and Rome, lol.

Very glad this place has opened.

Cheers Dave and Co...Well done yet again.wai.gif

post-87375-0-33808300-1408724453_thumb.j

• Like 2