Coconut water in Thai cuisine?

AyG

Last night I watched a travel/cookery programme in which a chef made a Vietnamese dish using coconut water. It set me thinking: is there any Thai dish that uses coconut water? If not, what happens to the coconut water in all the coconuts that are used to make coconut milk? Or do those coconuts not have any water?

the wife buy's the fresh co-conut milk and that definitely looks like water and is better tasteing aswell,the local shop and the market sells it.

Coconut water refers to the natural juice inside the coconut; coconut cream is produced by shredding the coconut flesh and putting it in hot water to extract the oils, then straining it.

Coconut water is used as a drink here - is that what your wife is buying? And does she cook with it?

• Like 2

the wife buy's the fresh co-conut milk and that definitely looks like water and is better tasteing aswell,the local shop and the market sells it.

Coconut water refers to the natural juice inside the coconut; coconut cream is produced by shredding the coconut flesh and putting it in hot water to extract the oils, then straining it.

Coconut water is used as a drink here - is that what your wife is buying? And does she cook with it?

we find it better for curries.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Here's a dish I made in my restaurant, it was one of the best sellers!

Heat a wok and add coconut oil, heat till smoking.
Add clams, and stir fry well, let it catch the flame.
Add sliced garlic, sliced red pepper, thinly sliced lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves.
Add coconut water, and a little dash of fish sauce.
Cover with a lid, until clams have opened. Discard closed clams.
Add a squeeze of lime juice and cilantro leaves.
Ready.

• Like 1

Thais usually use fresh coconut juice for drinking and in dessert.

-------------------

Oh yes, one of the desserts in the restaurant in the place where I stay is "Taro Balls in Fresh Coconut Milk"

Love that stuff.

And Coconut water, Coconut Milk, and even fresh Coconut Meat are routinely used in Southern Thai Curries as ways to help moderate the "bite" of the Chilli that is used in the spicy curries.

Rice can also be cooked in Coconut Milk for a smoother and creamier taste....it gives a creamier and sweeter taste in such dishes as those described as XXXXX Hot Sweet Curry (Just replace the XXXXX with your favorite meat or fish).

• 3 weeks later...

What is called "coconut milk" is just the white coconut meat/flesh whizzed in a blender or food processor with water.

That's pretty much it. Coconut is grated, mixed with a small amount of water to extract the oils, and the mixture then filtered.

Not usually made at home, but bought in the local market freshly made, or from the supermarket chiller section in bags. A UHT version is available in tins and boxes.

What is called "coconut milk" is just the white coconut meat/flesh whizzed in a blender or food processor with water.

That's pretty much it. Coconut is grated, mixed with a small amount of water to extract the oils, and the mixture then filtered.

Not usually made at home, but bought in the local market freshly made, or from the supermarket chiller section in bags. A UHT version is available in tins and boxes.

They make it at home here. They have a wooden stool with a half moon serrated metal blade fixed on one side. The old coconuts are broken in half and the inside scraped out on this blade. Water is added and then the mixture strained and squeezed in a muslin bag. Takes most of the afternoon to make a curry.

Far too much work for me, easier with a carton from the supermarket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...