Why is this forum so downright negative?

Tmymaimee

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP ... a lot of members like to give a complicated or an over simplistic reason for the negativity which is sometimes actually hostility ... but here is my take ...

It my opinion a lot of it stems from lifestyle ... many TVF members are in their mid to late 60's -- ranging upwards to mid and late 70's.... Many of them have little constructive diversion in their lives... routine sets in... paradise turns out to be not a paradise. Then on top of that comes alcohol - done daily - done too much... done repeatedly... and for some - and maybe too many - there is an assortment of drugs - prescription ones to use and abuse... All topped off with a sedimentary life style - no vigorous exercise. The physio-chemical outcome of this for a lot of TVF folks is a boring lifestyle, alcohol and drugs and probably an unhappy relationship... Plus the real zinger that bringing on grouchiness, negativity and even hostility -- a life style (coupled with a luck of the draw DNA structure) that brings about a depleted chemical in the brain called serotonin and another called dopamine ... Deplete these two chemicals with the life style I describe above and one becomes mentally depressed along with anxiety and irritability ... Add this all up and you have a typical spouting off old coot and crank who feels compelled to find the glass empty -- not even half full. Then there are the know it all young guys - who actually know much of nothing except arrogance... And last but not least there are the Brits ... God's gift to wisdom and knowledge - they think so anyway... who feel a compelling urge to 'correct' the miserable misunderstandings on every subject possible that everyone else has ... smile.png

For fun let's check the boxes:

1 late 60's : nope

2 booze / drugs : nope

3 lazy ass : nope

4: Dop and Sera : Don't know them

5: Young guy : nope

6: Brit : Nope

7: Ability to use the same size font and spacing : yep

Of course Jimmy, there's always an exception to every rule :P

I think that there are a lot of unhappy foreigners/farangs in Thailand. They are the ones who avert their eyes at the grocery store. It is very rare for someone to look me in the eye and say hello when I am out shopping. The internet offers anonymity to these people and when they see someone happy their rage comes out and they want you to be as unhappy as them.

From my experience there are plenty of foreign weirdos in Thailand , and being stalked by them in public places is not particularly appealing. I speak to people who I know, I don't speak to people just because they might be the same skin colour.

Oh you're one of those high society ex-pats.

Nope, not at all. I just generally speak to people I know, or share mutual interests - sport, my neighbours and my field of work generally. Nothing fancy, just don't have the desire to go around with an inane grin speaking to people that I don't know. I have had the pleasure of meeting some people from this forum in the past, and jokes aside are very much not the stereotyped version that some think. Maybe if I lived in some country backwater with no foreigners for 100 miles I might think differently, or was bitter about the hand I've been dealt in Thailand. I don't know.

• Like 1

I think that there are a lot of unhappy foreigners/farangs in Thailand. They are the ones who avert their eyes at the grocery store. It is very rare for someone to look me in the eye and say hello when I am out shopping. The internet offers anonymity to these people and when they see someone happy their rage comes out and they want you to be as unhappy as them.

From my experience there are plenty of foreign weirdos in Thailand , and being stalked by them in public places is not particularly appealing. I speak to people who I know, I don't speak to people just because they might be the same skin colour.

Oh you're one of those high society ex-pats.

Let's not go too far - the last time I saw Toad he was 3 sheets to the wind in some place of ill repute, 2nd floor, of some plaza near nana - but I was drunk, may not have been him.

laugh.png Jim, that must of been some years ago then, and if in that area it must have been at lesat 9 years ago tongue.png

OP ... a lot of members like to give a complicated or an over simplistic reason for the negativity which is sometimes actually hostility ... but here is my take ...

It my opinion a lot of it stems from lifestyle ... many TVF members are in their mid to late 60's -- ranging upwards to mid and late 70's.... Many of them have little constructive diversion in their lives... routine sets in... paradise turns out to be not a paradise. Then on top of that comes alcohol - done daily - done too much... done repeatedly... and for some - and maybe too many - there is an assortment of drugs - prescription ones to use and abuse... All topped off with a sedimentary life style - no vigorous exercise. The physio-chemical outcome of this for a lot of TVF folks is a boring lifestyle, alcohol and drugs and probably an unhappy relationship... Plus the real zinger that bringing on grouchiness, negativity and even hostility -- a life style (coupled with a luck of the draw DNA structure) that brings about a depleted chemical in the brain called serotonin and another called dopamine ... Deplete these two chemicals with the life style I describe above and one becomes mentally depressed along with anxiety and irritability ... Add this all up and you have a typical spouting off old coot and crank who feels compelled to find the glass empty -- not even half full. Then there are the know it all young guys - who actually know much of nothing except arrogance... And last but not least there are the Brits ... God's gift to wisdom and knowledge - they think so anyway... who feel a compelling urge to 'correct' the miserable misunderstandings on every subject possible that everyone else has ... smile.png

Could I make an appointment for counseling when you have an opening?cheesy.gif

TV forum is like a debate. Two different opinions. Like the debates in the House of commons, London. They thrash things out and learn from each other. This is healthy. The time to start moaning is when you are not allowed to moan. TV will probably ban me for this,but the moaners attract a lot of advertising revenue,too. Moaners,I love you. Long live the moaners!

I don't do drugs or alcohol...but thank God for chocolate. It has gotten me through many rough spots.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Usually retired, usually 50+, usually misfits in their home country.

TiT (Thaivisa is Thaivisa)

I think it people who are uncomfortable in their own Farang skin. They aren't ever going to be a Thai or a Thai/Chinese. They are just simple Farang here in Thailand because it beats the pants off of their own country.biggrin.png

Some unjustified comments about the brits here,may i suggest sour grapes ,after all biggest empire the world has had,+2ww &1 wc,do da.+ the international langauge of this planet

Edited by marko kok prong
  • Like 1

For fun let's check the boxes:

1 late 60's : nope

2 booze / drugs : nope

3 lazy ass : nope

4: Dop and Sera : Don't know them

5: Young guy : nope

6: Brit : Nope

7: Ability to use the same size font and spacing : yep

And me -- not a pedantic butthead about the not so great editor that is in use at TVF as some seem to be... fonts did their own thing I didn't choose or change them ... nor did I do copy - paste ... You just proved my point about the younger and arrogant ... can't argue the point of view of the post so niggle about a font...

Think it reflects life positive and negative things happen and people like to discuss them on what is after all a forum,but op think of the old adage when you are in buisness' if you do a good job,the customer may tell 1 or 2 people,if you do a bad job likely they will tell 20.

I believe it's 85 people. http://www.americasbestcompanies.com/magazine/articles/wanted-reputation-killer-negative-word-of-mouth.aspx

10 negative threads with 100 different viewers. It works out to 31million negative messages a year.

Who are the competitors of Thailand? What would 31 million negative messages a year be worth?

I'm not an advertising guru.

Seems high to me, So lets say I'm 50% high. How much is 15 million negative messages.

Indeed, word of mouth is the primary factor behind 20 to 50 percent of all purchasing decisions.

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/marketing_sales/a_new_way_to_measure_word-of-mouth_marketing

I disagree with the OP - far from being downright negative, I'd estimate that 80-90 percent of this forum is people asking for advice or help.

If you want to read something really negative, try a Thai newspaper.

Or check the OP's topics. Most of them are downright negative.biggrin.png

Some unjustified comments about the brits here,may i suggest sour grapes ,after all biggest empire the world has had,+2ww &1 wc,do da.+ the international langauge of this planet

One for Billy Bob - not a counselor - just an observer .... and two for marko kok prong - the language or as you say 'langauge' is all over the world... we have our own very functional brand in the U.S.A. that has more influence on how English is spoken by the rest of the world that does the King's or Queen's English ...

One for Billy Bob - not a counselor - just an observer .... and two for marko kok prong - the language or as you say 'langauge' is all over the world... we have our own very functional brand in the U.S.A. that has more influence on how English is spoken by the rest of the world that does the King's or Queen's English ...

so what are you saying you speak American or English,last time i looked it up the 'Langauge" of the usa was English,now why is it called that ? Possibly because it come from England,but by all means Sir if you want to twist things around to suit your American viewpoint why not,after all are you not the land of the brave and also free,free to kill each other with assault rifles in schools or a cinema,or bomb people by drone attack,what an outstanding example your nation is.

• Like 2

Jd Gruen,

sounds like some painfull herniatic condition,oh i am sure you will later castigate my spelling,but really mate it sounds to me you have been somewhat convinced that Usa is the best country in the world,i think you need to look a little deeper,and if you live here,well as Eddie Vedder said ,put it in your rearview mirror,think about it.

some people get upset to see how much negative posts they can read, well I can not believe all these posters are paranoic and so exagerate about what they feel and write

I always find it positive to know different opinions of different people, the kind of stuff they don't explain you when you are in your travel agency booking the tickets to come to the land of the smiles

Just read the topic headlines...scam, have nothing left, cheated.....

Anytime someone posts about a new girlfriend or success in their personal life, people can't wait to rip him apart. Its almost as if so many posters here relish in the downfall of others. And when you look at these negative posters, they have 5000 or more posts.

What are these posters like day to day in Thailand? Do they have families, are they happy...? Just curious as I never meet these types of negative people in Thailand in real life. Or are there a lot of truly unhappy people who outwardly project happiness, almost like a split personality? Very strange....

Because it's like Las Vegas. The city of sin. Tourists come and either leave with nothing, stay with nothing, or broken hearted.

They also want to go to Thailand but constantly say negative things about Thailand's men. Acting if they are superior.

Always mad because Thai people don't drop everything for the tourist.

Just a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

One of the most annoying things about Thai Visa Forum is the ability of posters to bicker and find fault with each other. A poster should be allowed to express an opinion without the fear of others trampling all over his/her ideas. Let the reader sort out the merits of an opinion without the negative counter comments. The ability to quote and multi quote could be removed to make the reading more enjoyable.

Yes, I know bad news is more exciting but I'm not talking about that. What I mean is when someone has something positive to say about their life or another person, its always the poster with 5000 or more posts that will reply with something negative. I don't care about that either. What I really want to know is whether the personality portrayed by these negative posters is an accurate reflection of their real life personality?

I only ask this because day to day in Thailand, I only seem to encounter positive, smiling happy foreigners and never some of the outright negativity displayed here. So who are these posters? Is there somewhere u can meet them in real life to see a bitter, angry foreigner?

Whereyoustay,

I have often wondered the very thing...who are these people? I had some poster start to attack me here on TV with name-calling and bullying so I invited him to come have drinks since he lived only a few minutes away in Asok from where my co-workers were celebrating.

I wanted to se if this guy was as messed up in real life as he is on TV. He never showed up.

I can't imagine the posters you are describing are healthy, well-adjusted men. You say you only see positive and friendly farang? I would suggest slumming it down in the Sukhumvit and Asoke neighborhoods. You will see some real misfits.

Cheers

The problem is, OP posts about new girlfriend every second week and each time its a success story, followed by another success and another.

Sadly each success story with OP seems to have one thing in common and that is new/old girlfriend shortcomings.

OP, if you happy with your new gf, why do you feel the need to share it with total strangers? Do you not have friends or family? or you too embarrassed to show how wonderful each one is

there is an army of farangs who have been stitched up by their thai GFs but then they move on and get stitched up by another thai GF ,BKK is full of them ,and their head is buzzing with the problems that they can never overcome

I think if I was worried about the forum being negative, I'd try to raise a positive story.

The hairdressers round our way are only 60 - 80 baht for a gent's haircut.

I'm on an overseas business trip, and it's turned out nice and sunny.

I'm looking forward to a night out with former and current colleagues in the bars of Sukhumvit next time I'm back.

Maybe some people can't appreciate the things for which they could be grateful, and the things to which they could look forward. I think that is a bit of a shame for them, but I think pity would be less helpful than enthusiasm.

I hope that the OP will be back soon, to lend his shoulder to addressing the problem that he has identified

SC

there is an army of farangs who have been stitched up by their thai GFs but then they move on and get stitched up by another thai GF ,BKK is full of them ,and their head is buzzing with the problems that they can never overcome

Alot of people always think their problems are external and some think by moving as far from their known world as possible that they will ditch those problems.

But then they get here, the end of the road, and the problems still exist and then they just get bitter.

95% of all problems are the result of failed or negative thought processes.

Dating bar women and falling in love with bar women is part of that negative behavioral pattern.

Alot of people always think their problems are external and some think by moving as far from their known world as possible that they will ditch those problems.

But then they get here, the end of the road, and the problems still exist and then they just get bitter.

95% of all problems are the result of failed or negative thought processes.

Dating bar women and falling in love with bar women is part of that negative behavioral pattern.

My limited experience of bar women is that they are human beings, with hopes, aspirations and constraints the same as the rest of us (not necessarily the same hopes etc. but they have hopes and constraints of their own) and if you understand that, then you can probably get on better with them - for all I know. As you say, most of our problems are of our own making, but acknowledgement of that is not enough - we all of us can benefit from constructive suggestions on how we can behave better, rather than condemnation and undermining our self-confidence.

SC