Chaturon visits 'Intensive English Camp' at Chachoengsao

webfact

Chaturon visits 'Intensive English Camp' at Chachoengsao

CHACHOENGSAO, 29 April 2014 (NNT) – Mr. Chaturon Chaisang, Minister of Education, has been welcomed by Junior High students of the Opportunity Expansion School who have joined the Intensive English for Occupation Camp, at Wat Nakhon Nueang Khet School and Datdaruni School.

The Minister was on a visit to monitor the progress of the students who are undertaking the intensive course over the period 21st April-16th May 2014.

The activity is aimed at developing a positive attitude in students, to assist in learning English, while gaining knowledge of the language to apply in real situations.

Learning to communicate confidently in English is also seen as an important contribution to securing Thailand's place in the ASEAN community.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-29 footer_n.gif

The Minister was on a visit to monitor the progress of the students who are undertaking the intensive course over the period 21st April-16th May 2014.

Another get smart quick scheme I see. Wonder how much progress will be made during this intensive 3 week course. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Chaturon should not be the minister of anything....continuing nepotism will break this country......

3 or 4 ministers of education in as many years......really hopeless!

Chaturon is Yingluck's unprecedented fifth Education Minister in under 3 years. :blink:

She and him make a mockery of red supporters spewing about improving education in Thailand.

In other Education Ministry news, the promised 11 million tablets promised 2 years ago will be delivered in the year __________ .

Another get smart quick scheme I see. Wonder how much progress will be made during this intensive 3 week course. coffee1.gif

"My name is Phon"

• Like 1

' English For Occupation ' Camp ?

The mind boggles. Whoever thought that up or translated it needs VERY remedial English as I suppose it means something to do with later work skills.

Ha, ha, too true.

It is the Zoolander style,,,

"Institute for people who don't read good and want other stuff to do good too"

wai.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if there are any real ENGLISH at all. I suspect all Thai teachers.

You'd have to think that no native speakers are involved but there's a possibility there are some at the camp and having pointed out the title is nonsense were ignored. A lot would have to do with the status of whoever decided on the title and therefore a change would be loss of face as it means ' your English standard is no good ' even if the suggested change was presented in the most diplomatic of ways.

Like many others who have been or are involved in teaching English I came across Thai teachers who really believed their standard was much higher than it really was / is and they made some real howlers whereas others would ask " what do you think ? " in such a way that advice could be given without any loss of face.

I'm betting that some of the Thai teachers at this camp thought there was something wrong with the title but didn't want to point it out because of the face aspect.

I'm also sure that no student will fail this camp, all will be given a certificate, an absolute must, and will leave thinking they are competent speakers but if the title is anything to go by we can guess the standard of the instruction.