Multi-Million Baht ATM robbery in Jomtien

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the pictures you can see that they used a torch to open the steel door (black burned paint does smell like bbq chicken ????mr guard?)

It also takes a while to do this and heavy equipment or access to decent electric.

It was well prepared (so not done by Thai ) .

Probable had inside help (some one working with ATM machines)

Now that they gave the example ,others will have a go !

ATM machines really have many million?

May be incident happened too early in the morning and author is little confused

Individual customers can regularly take our 50,000 to 100,000 from a single ATM, providing they do not exceed their daily amount. Ten to twenty of these customers will withdraw a total of one million baht.

An ATM has to be able to service hundreds, if not thousands, of customers before it has to be refilled, so, yes, an ATM has to contain banknotes in the multi millions...!!

sorry but not correct scib has atm limits to prevent this - check daily withdrawal limits and post again - somebody is covering a deficiency me thinks.

Sorry but you are not correct. On an account I have I can withdraw 100,000 Baht in a day.

Individual customers can regularly take our 50,000 to 100,000 from a single ATM, providing they do not exceed their daily amount. Ten to twenty of these customers will withdraw a total of one million baht.

An ATM has to be able to service hundreds, if not thousands, of customers before it has to be refilled, so, yes, an ATM has to contain banknotes in the multi millions...!!

sorry but not correct scib has atm limits to prevent this - check daily withdrawal limits and post again - somebody is covering a deficiency me thinks.

Sorry, but it is you who are wrong; I am very much aware of how the system works.

My current daily withdrawal rate, by choice, is THB 50,000. However, I can raise my daily withdrawal rate online, say to 100,000 baht, and then immediately go to an ATM and draw out the THB 100,000, taking 20,000 five times.

If I chose to raise my withdrawal rate to 300,000, I could stay there pulling money out until I reached my limit.

Would all those who boast how much they can withdraw from an ATM

kindly post their card numbers and pin numbers so TV poorer members

take some without going to the trouble of tearing apart the machines.

Personally I make a point of using only those ATMs which are inside

buildings such as shopping malls and not in the open.

• Like 1

To put this argument to rest, i just called my bank, Kasikorn.

After going through all the identification, i asked to raise my limit and was told max through an ATM is 100 000 per day

I asked to do that and was told to either go into a branch or do it via ATM machine.

So either some banks have different limits or some people like to post rubbish.

Also either some banks have different security procedures as someone claimed to have raised the limit to 300 000 over the phone or again different banks have different set of rules.

4 guys, one sitting on his arse, two just standing there and the other doing all the work. Sounds like Robinsons or Home Pro

Very Thai, na? But, after all, it worked. Cf. the success, efficiency, and brilliance of Brits working together:

Two Pattaya Brits arrested following three bungled ATM Robberies

29_06_55_1_3.jpg

PATTAYA:--Two of three British suspects thought to be involved in the theft of three ATM machines within Chonburi Province have been arrested by Provincial Transnational Crime Suppression Police Officers.

. . .

Police Lieutenant General Panya, Region 2 Police Commissioner, held a press conference at Chonburi Police Headquarters on Friday morning to announce the arrest of Mr. Alexander Milbourn aged 24 and Mr. Shaun Edward Tracy aged 34 who were both unemployed and had resided in Pattaya for the last 10 years. They had allegedly devised a plan with a third man, also British, known only as “Richard”, to use Nylon rope attached to a rented vehicle with the other end attached to the cash box of the ATM machine which would then be yanked from the wall. In all three cases the cash boxes could not be opened and the broken ATM machines would be abandoned by the assailants.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566264-two-britons-nabbed-for-atm-thefts-in-chon-buri/

They obviously did a better job than the Germans who got busted in Pattaya a long time ago, trying to steal an ATM and pull it out with a rope.

I'm on my way to an ATM now....thumbsup.gif

Definitely not Germans.

I thought most European people would know about the quick score trick some clever naughty boys came up with already many years ago, as far as I know hundreds of ATM machines have been done like this and it don't make it to the news anymore.

It takes about 5 minutes, they drill a small hole with a high power cord less drill in the ATM machine. The put a hose in the hole, fill up the ATM with combustable gas from a tank connected to the other side of the hose. Take the hose from the hole, put in ignition wire in the hole to make a (corona) spark inside the gas filled ATM and Kabooom.

Very often lots of banknotes in the air like confetti.

4 guys, one sitting on his arse, two just standing there and the other doing all the work. Sounds like Robinsons or Home Pro

Very Thai, na? But, after all, it worked. Cf. the success, efficiency, and brilliance of Brits working together:

Two Pattaya Brits arrested following three bungled ATM Robberies

29_06_55_1_3.jpg

PATTAYA:--Two of three British suspects thought to be involved in the theft of three ATM machines within Chonburi Province have been arrested by Provincial Transnational Crime Suppression Police Officers.

. . .

Police Lieutenant General Panya, Region 2 Police Commissioner, held a press conference at Chonburi Police Headquarters on Friday morning to announce the arrest of Mr. Alexander Milbourn aged 24 and Mr. Shaun Edward Tracy aged 34 who were both unemployed and had resided in Pattaya for the last 10 years. They had allegedly devised a plan with a third man, also British, known only as “Richard”, to use Nylon rope attached to a rented vehicle with the other end attached to the cash box of the ATM machine which would then be yanked from the wall. In all three cases the cash boxes could not be opened and the broken ATM machines would be abandoned by the assailants.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566264-two-britons-nabbed-for-atm-thefts-in-chon-buri/

They obviously did a better job than the Germans who got busted in Pattaya a long time ago, trying to steal an ATM and pull it out with a rope.

I'm on my way to an ATM now....thumbsup.gif

Definitely not Germans.

Yep, no uniforms. cheesy.gifthumbsup.gif

You'd thin that in order to avoid scenarios like this, ATM will be stuffed with as little as possible

money and just have more ATM's with less money in them, sorry, I forgot that this is Thailand,

where common sense is a rare commodity...

I forgot that this is Thailand,

Another arrogant Farag. I can only suppose that you believe that ATM's never get broken into in other countries.

I love this country and it's people in the main that is why I live here. I sometimes wonder how and why, some people can bare to stay here.

• Like 1

To put this argument to rest, i just called my bank, Kasikorn.

After going through all the identification, i asked to raise my limit and was told max through an ATM is 100 000 per day

I asked to do that and was told to either go into a branch or do it via ATM machine.

So either some banks have different limits or some people like to post rubbish.

Also either some banks have different security procedures as someone claimed to have raised the limit to 300 000 over the phone or again different banks have different set of rules.

"So either some banks have different limits or some people like to post rubbish."

Both are true statements.

You'd thin that in order to avoid scenarios like this, ATM will be stuffed with as little as possible

money and just have more ATM's with less money in them, sorry, I forgot that this is Thailand,

and just have more ATM's with less money in them

I assume you have no (successful) business background. You do understand that banks have to pay rather a lot for the ATMs and for people to maintain them.

Robberies aside, putting out 100 ATMs with Baht 50000 in each would not be the same business proposition as having one ATM with 5 million baht in it ... speaking of common sense. Most banks tend to be in business to make a profit for themselves, not to boost sales for the ATM manufacturers ... sorry, I forgot that this is Thai Visa where logic is on permanent holiday but puerile Thai bashing is on call 24/7.

Oh nasty !

Dont see whats wrong with what he said.. The machine dishes 20k per time but my cards are good for 50k on one (thai kasikorn but 50k on any Thai ATM daily) and +- 100k on another per day.(UK GBP Card) I have no idea what my visa cards are as I have never had to pull larger cash sums on them but they have a spending limit of many 1000 GBP.

......so the concrete company security guard observed the 4 men...and was able to describe exactly what they were doing (carrying the cash boxes to the pickup etc etc)

........so what did he do?.......call the police?.....use his 2-way radio to call for assistance?.........or ...........(wait for it)

NOTHING?..........mmmmm makes you wonder....

Probably looking for his whistle.

Not entirely correct, a normal ATM card allows a daily out-take of 30.K, a special ATM card allows a daily out-take of 50.K.

ATM's (depending on brand etc) can hold up to 6,000 notes in multiple cassettes. So even allowing for this ATM having smaller denominations such as 20,50,100,500 Baht cassettes, there's plenty available space to rack up more than a few million in bigger denominations. Even if only 3,000 notes were 1,000B denominations, that's 3M straight up.

Nice to see the security camera was tamper proof. coffee1.gif

If that's the case, why ATMs occasionally run out of cash? even the ones that are inside shopping malls, ie more secure than the ones in the middle of nowhere?

Second point, everyone here talks about their daily limits blah blah....but, do we know many Thais who withdraw 20K or 50K baht at a time??? ATMs in Thailand are not to serve the foreigners, surprise eh?

Not entirely correct, a normal ATM card allows a daily out-take of 30.K, a special ATM card allows a daily out-take of 50.K.

My normal atm card allows me to withdraw upto Bt100,000 per day (Kasikorn), I suggest you read what others have posted before chiming in with you incorrect replies.

• Like 1

Worked at a credit union for 3 years putting money into ATM's and also for Brinks after me military days. The amount of Baht taken sounds about right when converted from USD. All depends on the location and the amount of usage how much money is put into the ATM. As for the masked men breaking into the ATM, it must not have had an alarm on it. And the human alarm was a little slow on the trigger. facepalm.gif

Exactly , if ATM was outside the bank or shopping mall , this one is in the middle of nowhere, outside a factory of people who earn 9000-10000 per month

Thailand is a cash economy, people take much MORE cash from ATMs in Thailand than they do in the USA.

That makes (uncommon) sense. I propose a 1,600 baht (1 ea. 1,000, 500, 100) magazine limit per ATM to absolutely minimize the risk and still provide the service. Now, let's see ... where will place the additional several thousand (hundred thousand?) ATMs to support the nominal transaction volume and at what cost?

Edited by MaxYakov

That makes (uncommon) sense. I propose a 1,600 baht (1 ea. 1,000, 500, 100) magazine limit per ATM to absolutely minimize the risk and still provide the service. Now, let's see ... where will place the additional several thousand (hundred thousand?) ATMs to support the nominal transaction volume and at what cost?

Considering the transaction charges (local cards/foreign cards) for using an ATM having several hundred thousand machines that only hold Bt.1600 could be quite lucrative for the banks.

Edited by Spoonman

''and another of the suspects was carrying two of the money boxes taken from the ATM, towards the pick-up.''

I like this.

At this stage they are only suspected....

Innocent until proven guilty, there may have been a very good and innocent reason ....... I am desperately trying to think what it could have been !!

Only in Thailand I see ATMs standing alone in the middle of the street of nowhere, ready for pickup for criminals!

Other country's put the mashine in a wall of concrete !

Smelling burn when someone talk large withdrawal , interesting story that looks for me someone try to open the ATM!

Usually the response time and time needed in Thailand to get money, is very short!

In the eu it needs 10 secounds to analeize and verify the card!

In Thailand within that time the withdrawal is done!

Some experts say arms of Thailand has low security standards verify cards!

And to expensive to replace them all!

Maybe it's only a simple software trick !

A longer delay of verification process of foreign credit card !

Would help to hold the multimillion baht damage of fraud and stolen credit cards lower!

But who is paying the bill in this case, no one talk about this!

European banks must pay the money back to the victim , when the victim was never in that country of the time of withdrawal !

Thai banks maybe not get there money from foreign banks, or have a good insurance the don't pay the loose of money!

And now to all mathematics out here

A scb bank give 20 k

Calculate the time of one withdrawal

That I don't know exactly yet , let's say of 20secounds up to one million!

How Long need time withdrawal one million

In a short calculation 10000 k in 2 minutes

In 10 minutes the ATM is emty!

Not enough time the alarm bell rings on nearest police station!

I not believe that fake story

The time needed withdraw lone million needs much longer

Because of the fact that not only 1000 baht notes inside a ATM

To reach one million on total

Also 100 and 500 notes

One time it happens in a scb ATM

In Pattaya shopping center

The 1000 baht was finish

ATM shows massage and a MAss

Of 500 bhat notes instead of 1000 baht come outside!

This mean to withdrawal all money

We have the multiple the total time of withdrawal needed, because a 20k withdrawal not result in a 40 pcs of 500 baht paper money!

The ATM canot give out!

I believe that there are some curupt bank workers that know each secret. Of there ATMs this happen everywhere in the world not only in Thailand !

Wrong background information in public media, will never solve the problem, the ATM company's must react and, proberbly setup more undercover agents instead of cheap 7 eleven workers to fill up there mashine on the backside

I'll be right back, just fetching the Tylenol. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

jepp...me too...it really hurts ...!!!!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree!