Pheu Thai calls on all sides to back election

webfact

They should have said all sides should refrain from violence, corruption, cronyism and nepotism. They could also have added that being a resident of Thailand is also a requirement. No foreigners or fugitives please. wai2.gif

Edited by bigbamboo

Don't mention elections!

The yellows can't stand the word.They would prefer the the self proclaimed peoples medium to have his way and set up his reform council and just toss whoever they see fit out of the country.

Mention vote and the whole yellow brigade go off their trolleys because they know the result will go the PTP by a country mile.

Notice the little minded snide remarks from the devout yellows again to anyone who has a different opinion.

They only cheapen whatever point you are trying to make!

Who are these "yellows" you speak of?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Public US... News for you ... You DON'T have to worry, you are just a Farang .. Abhisit and Suthep have absolutely nothing to do with or for you.. This is a Thai matter .. If you don't like it , burger off back to your good ol USA.. and stick your "legitimate and viable" where your mom never kissed you...

Shape up dude. If you are going to say your crude remarks to any farang, then you'd need to say them to all farang. No exceptions for any reason.

Thailand is a United States formal national security treaty ally which Prez Obama visited two years ago, Prez Bush visited while he was in office and that Prez Clinton visited while he was in office, each of which met with His Majesty The King at the Royal Palace.

Siam and the United States signed their first treaty in 1833, The Treaty of Comity and Economic Relations, which made the Kingdom the first formal treaty ally of the United States in Asia.

Tell your mother about it. And you yourself can kiss me there any time.

And herein lies the problem you pompous little poodle, I and many other westerners have had their fill with the USA. Mind you I had mine back in 1971 after my second tour in Vietnam. The three Presidents you name, have screwed each and every country they have meddled in and with, as uninvited guests. Now they are doing a hatchet job on their own country. Thaksin is a puppet of the west, namely the USA and they will do anything to keep him and his family in control.

The guy referenced my late mother so I returned the mention and the context as it may apply to him. The other poster is the initiator and is the focus.

As to the USA, I was in active voluntary military service during the Vietnam Era, an officer of Army Infantry, and actually had the choice to go to fight in Vietnam or not to go. I chose not to go as I had my serious reservations about it and, given the choice, preferred not to participate.

May I assume you had the good sense not to volunteer to fight there, that you instead were shipped out entirely on orders. I think not given you said you served a second tour which normally was not mandatory.

Still, were it not for the US involvement in the Vietnam Civil War, Thailand might have seen worse than it had to experience at the time anyway and throughout the 1970s. Tell us about Pattaya back then as I'd be interested.

Reagan set the United States off on the disastrous course brought to a climax by Bush the shrub as advised by his father Bush the blueblood.

Edited by Publicus

Public US... News for you ... You DON'T have to worry, you are just a Farang .. Abhisit and Suthep have absolutely nothing to do with or for you.. This is a Thai matter .. If you don't like it , burger off back to your good ol USA.. and stick your "legitimate and viable" where your mom never kissed you...

Shape up dude. If you are going to say your crude remarks to any farang, then you'd need to say them to all farang. No exceptions for any reason.

Thailand is a United States formal national security treaty ally which Prez Obama visited two years ago, Prez Bush visited while he was in office and that Prez Clinton visited while he was in office, each of which met with His Majesty The King at the Royal Palace.

Siam and the United States signed their first treaty in 1833, The Treaty of Comity and Economic Relations, which made the Kingdom the first formal treaty ally of the United States in Asia.

And herein lies the problem you pompous little poodle, I and many other westerners have had their fill with the USA. Mind you I had mine back in 1971 after my second tour in Vietnam. The three Presidents you name, have screwed each and every country they have meddled in and with, as uninvited guests. Now they are doing a hatchet job on their own country. Thaksin is a puppet of the west, namely the USA and they will do anything to keep him and his family in control.

The guy referenced my late mother so I returned the mention and the context as it may apply to him. The other poster is the initiator and is the focus.

As to the USA, I was in active voluntary military service during the Vietnam Era, an officer of Army Infantry, and actually had the choice to go to fight in Vietnam or not to go. I chose not to go as I had my serious reservations about it and, given the choice, preferred not to participate. May I assume you had the good sense not to volunteer to fight there, that you instead were shipped out entirely on orders.

Still, were it not for the US involvement in the Vietnam Civil War, Thailand might have seen worse than it had to experience at the time anyway and throughout the 1970s. Tell us about Pattaya back then as I'd be interested.

Reagan set the United States off on the disastrous course brought to a climax by Bush the shrub as advised by his father Bush the blueblood.

Pattaya the fishing village ?? Jomptien hardly existed, only the beach, large buffalo waterhole on the taxi corner near dong tang police.---and on that corner sprang up Sugar Hut a bit later.

No one went to Jomptien after dark not even taxis it was too dangerous. The beach had a name sounding like Wilana Wyn.

No walking street existed taxis went down and turned left into south Pattaya. From Sth Pattaya to Jomptien -nothing.

I remember all the bars as they set up business.

The quiet background discussion among the 40 democracies of the world that endorsed the Feb 2nd election during the unsuccessful run up to it is that Abhisit has lost his legitimacy and that the Democrat Party is a spent force among the voters.

AV is presently scampering around and about, speaking for others with whom he meets, in large part to try to recover from the desperation of his new status as the fallen angel of Thailand.

Abhisit needs to show he's more than a rapid action PR acrobat by coming on down to earth to participate in an election that can be called asap and that the DP will contest the election. The PTP and the DP can then present both themselves and their respective reform proposals to the voters for their ultimate and final decision and their clear verdict..

Anything less from AV and the DP is BS.

I didn't even know that 40 democracies (democratic countries) had met and discussed this. Were you there?

I disagree that AV is scampering around. I believe that he has a viable plan and that we will see what it is next week? Looking forward to seeing if there is substance there. I am sure many people will dislike it as it is about compromise. I'm not sure that either the PDRC or the PTP/UDD will ever compromise, and I hope they will.

Don't mention elections!

The yellows can't stand the word.They would prefer the the self proclaimed peoples medium to have his way and set up his reform council and just toss whoever they see fit out of the country.

Mention vote and the whole yellow brigade go off their trolleys because they know the result will go the PTP by a country mile.

Notice the little minded snide remarks from the devout yellows again to anyone who has a different opinion.

They only cheapen whatever point you are trying to make!

Don't mention reform! The reds don't like it. They like things the way they are, everything for Thaksin and a little (if they are lucky) for them.

coffee1.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The quiet background discussion among the 40 democracies of the world that endorsed the Feb 2nd election during the unsuccessful run up to it is that Abhisit has lost his legitimacy and that the Democrat Party is a spent force among the voters.

AV is presently scampering around and about, speaking for others with whom he meets, in large part to try to recover from the desperation of his new status as the fallen angel of Thailand.

Abhisit needs to show he's more than a rapid action PR acrobat by coming on down to earth to participate in an election that can be called asap and that the DP will contest the election. The PTP and the DP can then present both themselves and their respective reform proposals to the voters for their ultimate and final decision and their clear verdict..

Are you just repeating what that idiot Surapong said " 50 countries endorsed the election."

He couldn't actually name them but I have an idea of a few of them

ie one party states that have democratic elections with one party or with little or no opposition allowed.

eg The Republic of China, The Democratic Republic of North Korea, Cuba, Eritria, Zimbabwe, Vietnam, Laos, Uzbekisatan, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Kazakhstan, Angola, Botswana,Cameroun, Ethiopia

Interesting enough apart from China many are close to being failed states due to corruption & nepotism

You are seriously off on a wild and screwy tangent which is par for the course for you guys.

Instead of endlessly reciting the cave man PDRC lines, you need to speak to Abhisit and the DP who are against one person one vote elections.

Abhisit and the DP chose instead to forfeit the field to a still unrealized Putsch by the raging self-appointed people's sovereign Suthep and their still anonymous cave men of the PDRC.

Abhisit and the DP have chosen to leave the field open to an unelected and still anonymous "People's Council" and to an appointed and still anonymous National Assembly to rule absolutely for who knows how long under the pretext of implementing still unspecified "reforms" that the National Assembly only and exclusively would make to impose on the whole of the population and the political system.

The PDRC has openly stated it will purge whole families and political figures from the country and will do so summarily and arbitrarily to suit itself and to please only itself.

In short, your whole post is assinine [sic], off the wall. Now Asean is in process of endorsing an asap election in Thailand. I invite you and your fellows to challenge that. I await your challenge of that too

Looks like GK is on day off today. So are you on duty on the roster for today?

In regard to your comment: "The PDRC has openly stated it will purge whole families and political figures from the country and will do so summarily and arbitrarily to suit itself and to please only itself." Lets try your own approach to this: 'Provide a link'.

"The PDRC has openly stated it will purge whole families and political figures from the country and will do so summarily and arbitrarily to suit itself and to please only itself.".................!!!!!!!!!!!!..............Wow, this guy is good !

If he did provide a link to back up this ridiculous and asinine statement it would be - www.liescrapandbs.com whistling.gif

I just can not help but think their is a hidden agenda with the PTP, I really don't trust them at all , all their previous programs have virtually been discredited as botched or corrupt failures, nothing this crowd has done has ever succeeded , it amazes me how they can even front up and call themselves a credible alternative and a picture tells a thousand words ,where is the Prime Minister in this photo. bah.gif

Let's vote on it with UN observers and/or Asean observers.

Abhisit and the DP are preventing a legitimate or viable election by their obstinate aversion to presenting themselves and their program of "reforms" to the voters for their ultimate and final sovereign decision.

Unless and until that happens, I don't trust Abhisit, Suthep, their still anonymous cave man PDRC and their thugs.

Good to see you trust a party that invited well educated, knowledgeable, international participants who came up with very good ideas on to move the country forward, none of which were even discussed or implemented by PTP after they left. This country is all about compromise & I believe Abhisit is on that path yet you do not want to give him any credence at all. The man is speaking with some very high ranking & influential people who obviously think he might have something worthwhile to offer.

As to the USA, I was in active voluntary military service during the Vietnam Era, an officer of Army Infantry, and actually had the choice to go to fight in Vietnam or not to go. I chose not to go as I had my serious reservations about it and, given the choice, preferred not to participate. May I assume you had the good sense not to volunteer to fight there, that you instead were shipped out entirely on orders.

Pattaya the fishing village ?? Jomptien hardly existed, only the beach, large buffalo waterhole on the taxi corner near dong tang police.---and on that corner sprang up Sugar Hut a bit later.

No one went to Jomptien after dark not even taxis it was too dangerous. The beach had a name sounding like Wilana Wyn.

No walking street existed taxis went down and turned left into south Pattaya. From Sth Pattaya to Jomptien -nothing.

Who asked you?? I invited antimedia's comments about Pattaya circa 1975 ! (He's antimedia, I'm antiwar. It's of course his choice about any response.)

Seriously and all momentary joking aside biggrin.png it's always interesting to hear about the origins of things, and the origins of bars in Thailand is a long and winding story from border to border, island to shore and to roach motel. The taxis and tuk tuks are another story as are the women, don't we know. Don't we know indeed.

Haven't been to Pattaya since 2001 as the place got to be too honky tonk the more I got into it so I only vaguely recall the locations you mention, but I got it, thx. Starting 2002 or so Samui began to lose its dusty island look.

It wuz still pretty carefree LOS then. smile.png as opposed to now xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png .

Cheers.

So you hear the background discussions among 40 democracies of the world? Wow! Lucky we have you to report them on TVF.

Tell us, do you hear any other 'voices and discussions" too?

You really have become the most ridiculous of the Thaksin regime supporters on TVF. On the other hand, if you are suffering from the onset of some form of dimentia then please accept my empathy,

What a selfish bunch. They never even tried to start any kind of reform. They want things to stay as is. Full power through vote buying in order to rob the coffers and at the same time try to eliminate all checks and balances. Viva nepotism and cronyism.

Unlike whom?

I'm with you, but you know, here comes the white knight military, and all the old buddies get posts in a huge display of cronyism, and the worst government in memory - not only without reform, but a step backwards by wiping out the mildly progressive Anand constitution.

Here comes the Democrats. Reform? Rub a lamp.

And Yingluck, promising this that and everything - not a shred of reform.

If you think that if only the current government were not in place then we could get some reform, you may be making other serious errors about Thailand as well. Spend a minute or two mulling all the reform proposals put forward by the crony-rich Suthep crowd (spokesman his stepson, adviser his wife etc etc). No, wait, you won't need a minute to carefully consider all of them.

This is an endemic problem. Blaming this or that group completely misses the point. When that Suthep man got arrested on Saturday, what was the first thing he did? Phone Daddy to arrange bail.

Reform is an attitude, and takes a lot of people. No one is stepping up, where by "no one" I mean the whole lot of them in the current many spotlights.

I just can not help but think their is a hidden agenda with the PTP, I really don't trust them at all , all their previous programs have virtually been discredited as botched or corrupt failures, nothing this crowd has done has ever succeeded , it amazes me how they can even front up and call themselves a credible alternative and a picture tells a thousand words ,where is the Prime Minister in this photo. bah.gif

Abhisit and the DP are preventing a legitimate or viable election by their obstinate aversion to presenting themselves and their program of "reforms" to the voters for their ultimate and final sovereign decision.

Unless and until that happens, I don't trust Abhisit, Suthep, their still anonymous cave man PDRC and their thugs.

Good to see you trust a party that invited well educated, knowledgeable, international participants who came up with very good ideas on to move the country forward, none of which were even discussed or implemented by PTP after they left. This country is all about compromise & I believe Abhisit is on that path yet you do not want to give him any credence at all. The man is speaking with some very high ranking & influential people who obviously think he might have something worthwhile to offer.

Yingluck has nearly three years experience behind her as PM so from that unique perspective she's publicly stated her openness and willingness to contribute and to facilitate any good works AV and other ammart might be able to agree, over and above Suthep's stance that there's nothing to negotiate.

YS meets with the common people, AV meets with "some very high ranking & influential people" so let's see what a guy that can't get elected might be able to facilitate for his country. No need really to get overly somber about it. People of goodwill can work things out.

So you hear the background discussions among 40 democracies of the world? Wow! Lucky we have you to report them on TVF.

Tell us, do you hear any other 'voices and discussions" too?

You really have become the most ridiculous of the Thaksin regime supporters on TVF. On the other hand, if you are suffering from the onset of some form of dimentia then please accept my empathy,

laugh.png

Who asked you?? I invited antimedia's comments about Pattaya circa 1975 ! (He's antimedia, I'm antiwar. It's of course his choice about any response.)

Seriously and all momentary joking aside biggrin.png it's always interesting to hear about the origins of things, and the origins of bars in Thailand is a long and winding story from border to border, island to shore and to roach motel. The taxis and tuk tuks are another story as are the women, don't we know. Don't we know indeed.

Haven't been to Pattaya since 2001 as the place got to be too honky tonk the more I got into it so I only vaguely recall the locations you mention, but I got it, thx. Starting 2002 or so Samui began to lose its dusty island look.

It wuz still pretty carefree LOS then. smile.png as opposed to now xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png .

Cheers.

Yeah them night were the days. It's just a sprawling mass now. sea unclean or clear, beaches same, money money I want--the theme, I rarely go only the drive from Udon to check on my condo at Jomptien twice a year. 3 days finished.

Sorry for butting in just interested in the older near bare Pattaya before the jet ski era.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Yingluck has nearly three years experience behind her as PM so from that unique perspective she's publicly stated her openness and willingness to contribute and to facilitate any good works AV and other ammart might be able to agree, over and above Suthep's stance that there's nothing to negotiate.

YS meets with the common people, AV meets with "some very high ranking & influential people" so let's see what a guy that can't get elected might be able to facilitate for his country. No need really to get overly somber about it. People of goodwill can work things out.

Are you THAT afraid that AV will have a solution?

Yingluck is meeting the people? You mean hiding in the north and at

the same time inspecting .... uh......something. Lol. Maybe one day we might even see a debate! That would be something, Yingluck debating with somebody! Viva red democracy: don't ask me to explain anything. We won so we decide everything.

Edited by Nickymaster

Are you THAT afraid that AV will have a solution?

Yingluck is meeting the people? You mean hiding in the north and at

the same time inspecting .... uh......something. Lol. Maybe one day we might even see a debate! That would be something, Yingluck debating with somebody! Viva red democracy: don't ask me to explain anything. We won so we decide everything.

I just wonder at big A get together in Burma Yingluck may attend to get away from this lot. Love to see if her aircraft to Burma is LONG HAUL-or one waiting on the tarmac ready, similar to the Thaksin Beijing episode, a way out for her.---just saying

The Demorcats/PDRC have said repeatedly they have the majority on their side, so why fear an election now? Join in the elections and get Thailand moving once again as a country!

Well, because the PDRC cannot trust a majority electorate at the polls because the majority, according to PDRC, are mostly uneducated and easily fooled by populist "promises." PDRC is not willing to curry favor with the majority by modifying its radical conservatism and knows PTP will win once again. PDRC needs to craft first a "majority" that it can trust and the only way to that success is to delay voting until it can become the caretaker government and enact reforms to assure its success at the polls.

• Like 1

What a selfish bunch. They never even tried to start any kind of reform. They want things to stay as is. Full power through vote buying in order to rob the coffers and at the same time try to eliminate all checks and balances. Viva nepotism and cronyism.

It's selfish to get elected? Thats bizarro world logic there. Surely its selfish to expect to be given power without being elected. Dangerous even, you'd have to point guns at a lot of Thai people whose vote you've taken away in some sort of coup!

Lets go through the 2008 leaked plans and see what the generals had in mind for reform.

Siddhi laid out a scenario...The solution was not by using force but to rehabilitate Thai democracy. The same Constitution would remain, amended to allow outsiders (non-MPs) to serve in the Cabinet. The House and Senate would stay. Universally respected former PM Anand should serve as the leader of the “project,” which would involve respected, “honest” ex-military and Ministry of Interior officials, academics, one or two PAD members, and perhaps some Democrat Party figures. The mandate would be to initiate a wide array of reforms in the economic, social, and political sphere. That in turn would “weed out” the bane effects of Thaksinism from the system."

So basically they hated Thaksin and wanted anyone on the red/Thaksin side of politics out of power, regardless of how the people wanted to vote. So their reforms were to stuff non-elected people in government. They've done something similar with the Senate in 2006 with terrible results. But if the people don't elect these Senators and Cabinet members, where is the checks-and-balances on them??? The people can no longer sack them!

Siddhi spoke vaguely of a type of “people’s power” action, similar to that by opponents of President Marcos in the Philippines, adding that the people engaged in such a movement would need the military “to protect them,” although there was no military solution to the standoff.

So general plans a "peoples mob" with military guards. Funny how these mobs spring up after the military planning for them. These mobs appear, the military 'reacts' to these mobs and 'restores harmony'. Sort of like how an ex army man was down in Yala recruiting guards back in July last year even before the 'amnesty bill' and Suthep raises the mob later in November....

Siddhi envisioned the establishment of a “Committee to Revive Democracy,” consisting of respected figures such as former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun, scholar Pramote Nakhorntap, Democrat Party officials Abhisit Vejjajiva and Korn Chatikavanij, as well as other unnamed “clean people” from the military

A committee of good people! So basically they were going to rig the election to put their Democrat cronies Abhisit Vejjajiva and Korn Chatikavanij into power, even if the electorate didn't want them. Gee, wouldn't that upset a lot of voters???

It's really funny how naive Siddhi was:

Siddhi said that, under his vision, the Prime Minister could be any figure acceptable to all sides

Hah! They simply grabbed power and Abhisit & Suthep made themselves leader and deputy once they'd removed PPP, so much for a neutral PM acceptable to all sides.

So, now, they have to have a military coup, because a soft-coup requires the population to be fooled. But this is the internet age, and the youtube age, and we can see what you've been up to. They were supposed to be forgiven for all of this with an Amnesty bill, everyone would forgive and forget what they did in 2006,2008,2010 and all be chums together. Suthep used that as his excuse to raise the mob, and so now no amnesty bill.

It has to be a military coup, or an election. There's no soft coup possible now.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

I didn't even know that 40 democracies (democratic countries) had met and discussed this. Were you there?

I disagree that AV is scampering around. I believe that he has a viable plan and that we will see what it is next week? Looking forward to seeing if there is substance there. I am sure many people will dislike it as it is about compromise. I'm not sure that either the PDRC or the PTP/UDD will ever compromise, and I hope they will.

Yes, I was there gabruce. I should have known nothing much gets past you these daze, does it.

You are a glass of warm milk here, truly pasteurized.

I always look forward to reading your posts.

Thank you for your opinions and your interested questions.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Publicus

It's selfish to get elected? Thats bizarro world logic there. Surely its selfish to expect to be given power without being elected. Dangerous even, you'd have to point guns at a lot of Thai people whose vote you've taken away in some sort of coup!

Lets go through the 2008 leaked plans and see what the generals had in mind for reform.

Siddhi laid out a scenario...The solution was not by using force but to rehabilitate Thai democracy. The same Constitution would remain, amended to allow outsiders (non-MPs) to serve in the Cabinet. The House and Senate would stay. Universally respected former PM Anand should serve as the leader of the “project,” which would involve respected, “honest” ex-military and Ministry of Interior officials, academics, one or two PAD members, and perhaps some Democrat Party figures. The mandate would be to initiate a wide array of reforms in the economic, social, and political sphere. That in turn would “weed out” the bane effects of Thaksinism from the system."

So basically they hated Thaksin and wanted anyone on the red/Thaksin side of politics out of power, regardless of how the people wanted to vote. So their reforms were to stuff non-elected people in government. They've done something similar with the Senate in 2006 with terrible results. But if the people don't elect these Senators and Cabinet members, where is the checks-and-balances on them??? The people can no longer sack them!

Siddhi spoke vaguely of a type of “people’s power” action, similar to that by opponents of President Marcos in the Philippines, adding that the people engaged in such a movement would need the military “to protect them,” although there was no military solution to the standoff.

So general plans a "peoples mob" with military guards. Funny how these mobs spring up after the military planning for them. These mobs appear, the military 'reacts' to these mobs and 'restores harmony'. Sort of like how an ex army man was down in Yala recruiting guards back in July last year even before the 'amnesty bill' and Suthep raises the mob later in November....

Siddhi envisioned the establishment of a “Committee to Revive Democracy,” consisting of respected figures such as former Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun, scholar Pramote Nakhorntap, Democrat Party officials Abhisit Vejjajiva and Korn Chatikavanij, as well as other unnamed “clean people” from the military

A committee of good people! So basically they were going to rig the election to put their Democrat cronies Abhisit Vejjajiva and Korn Chatikavanij into power, even if the electorate didn't want them. Gee, wouldn't that upset a lot of voters???

It's really funny how naive Siddhi was:

Siddhi said that, under his vision, the Prime Minister could be any figure acceptable to all sides

Hah! They simply grabbed power and Abhisit & Suthep made themselves leader and deputy once they'd removed PPP, so much for a neutral PM acceptable to all sides.

So, now, they have to have a military coup, because a soft-coup requires the population to be fooled. But this is the internet age, and the youtube age, and we can see what you've been up to. They were supposed to be forgiven for all of this with an Amnesty bill, everyone would forgive and forget what they did in 2006,2008,2010 and all be chums together. Suthep used that as his excuse to raise the mob, and so now no amnesty bill.

It has to be a military coup, or an election.There's no soft coup possible now.

We are now in 2014. Yingluck had a few years to prove the Shins had changed. Well, they haven't changed, they are still corrupt as hell. Furthermore, they have completely miss-managed this country with their friends and family.

Reform is urgently needed and the rule of law has to be obeyed to get out of this mess. Elections now are not the answer, it will only justify the Shin's corrupt practices.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

As to the USA, I was in active voluntary military service during the Vietnam Era, an officer of Army Infantry, and actually had the choice to go to fight in Vietnam or not to go. I chose not to go as I had my serious reservations about it and, given the choice, preferred not to participate.

May I assume you had the good sense not to volunteer to fight there, that you instead were shipped out entirely on orders. I think not given you said you served a second tour which normally was not mandatory.

I am Australian and served in the Australian Regular Army as a medic, I requested both tours of Vietnam the first with an Infantry Battalion as that was what was expected of me as volunteer soldier. I actually had my honeymoon in Pattaya in 1971 all of 4 hours, had a swim, a beer or two and had to pay a local near the beach to for a shower, there was nought there. I am now retired in Thailand living mid north and have never been back to the place or Vietnam as a matter of fact.

As for the US involvement in Vietnam War, very debatable but can leave that for the historians to write it up and re write as it suits them.

Unlike whom?

I'm with you, but you know, here comes the white knight military, and all the old buddies get posts in a huge display of cronyism, and the worst government in memory - not only without reform, but a step backwards by wiping out the mildly progressive Anand constitution.

Here comes the Democrats. Reform? Rub a lamp.

And Yingluck, promising this that and everything - not a shred of reform.

If you think that if only the current government were not in place then we could get some reform, you may be making other serious errors about Thailand as well. Spend a minute or two mulling all the reform proposals put forward by the crony-rich Suthep crowd (spokesman his stepson, adviser his wife etc etc). No, wait, you won't need a minute to carefully consider all of them.

This is an endemic problem. Blaming this or that group completely misses the point. When that Suthep man got arrested on Saturday, what was the first thing he did? Phone Daddy to arrange bail.

Reform is an attitude, and takes a lot of people. No one is stepping up, where by "no one" I mean the whole lot of them in the current many spotlights.

One easy one. Today all governors in Thailand (except Bangkok) are appointed by the interior minister. A formula ripe for corruption. Just one of Suthep's plan is to have them all elected. Would decentralize power and reduce corruption. Same problem exists in the police force and many other departments. All power is in the hands of a few. Decentralizing is the key.

Did you know that?

Edited by Nickymaster

Obama is very pointedly NOT visiting Thailand on his current S.E.Asia trip?