We are degenerating just like Venice did in the 18th century: Thai opinion

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up reading the article two 3rds of the way through.I suggest the author looks back at Thai history as to what was going on here 3/4 hundred years ago.Even as recently as the 60"s it was described as a licentious society.Does anyone remember the furor a few years ago when the British Ambassadors papers were released and Thailand took umbrage ( again ).I have been to Venice several times and there is no way it can be compared with the filth of the canals here.TAT again.

• Like 2

The Thais, always with their overly lofty thoughts. Venice?! <deleted>, there's very little of Thai history that would warrant such a comparison. Thailand has NEVER had a Venice. They really do believe this stuff I think

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The full Thai system must collapse so it can be rebuilt from the ground up …otherwise get ready for this mess every 18 months

To be truthful after almost 3 decades here the only thing that has changed with the ruling class is there’s much more corruption…so I won’t hold my breath (in my lifetime)

Thailand is a lost cause and it deserve what it gets; as so many are to blame from the people who accept money to vote right to the very top that favour nepotism and cronyism/…they are kleptomaniacs that rule by plutocracy

My son told me the other day that there are more bad than good people now in Thailand, not a good look from a 34 year old.

a Saint Marco and a VAT Crematorium

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a VAT Crematorium?

It's early, but I think it's where the government burns the Value Added Tax revenues.

• Like 1

^^ As usual, shows how most Thais, even the "educated", "worldly" ones are so superficial in their understanding of things. Same superficiality that pervades the entirety of Thai culture.

• Like 1

What a meek attempt to compare Thailand to Venice - 300 years late.

When Venice was at the height of its power in the 17th century, people in what was then Siam were walking around in loin cloths, sat on the ground eating from the same bowl and waged wars with sticks.

Venice may have been decadent in its later years, but its ultimate decline has to be attributed to the loss of its many trading posts and colonies (including Crete, for example) in the Eastern Mediterranean to the Ottomans in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Venetians didn't search for lucky lottery numbers on sacred trees and basically every given object deemed holy. Venetians didn't marry foreigners to financially support their entire families. Venetians didn't vote politicians into power because they were paid a pittance for their vote. Venetians didn't demand their purchase of a single Coke be put in a tiny plastic bag, which they later throw away. Venetians didn't pull a gun on everybody over a perceived "lost face". Venetians didn't let suspected killers walk free for a ridiculous amount of bail to subsequently flee the country. Venetians didn't see themselves as a superior master race dominating the rest of Europe. Venetians didn't hang out most of the day stone drunk complaining how tough their life was because they couldn't financially support their multiple minor wives. Venetians didn't go out on the day they received their salaries and blew it all on wine, women and song. Venetians didn't blame their own shortcomings on everybody else and rejected any responsibility for their faults. Venetians didn't rip off foreign visitors through ingeniously designed schemes and certainly didn't charge foreigners double or triple prices. And perhaps most importantly: Venetians weren't governed by a criminal fugitive from some 5,000 kilometers away in self-imposed exile.

The decadence currently prevailing in Thailand is entirely her own mess. Venice has got nothing to do with it.

I think the OP is comparing the degeneration of society in general rather than the actual cultures.

• Like 1

I doubt if 99% of the population even knows where Venice is.

To get a slightly better result, ask them which countries have direct borders with LOS, or ask to show their own country on a world map.

This, I once asked my GF 2 things. The first was which country is bigger in size, Thailand or the US? Did not know and thus didn't answer. 2nd question, who as more power within the workings of the political world, before her brain exploded she of course said you know who, the dude that cannot be named. When I said the president of the US did she actually knew his name to my surprise.

Edited by Tom420

The full Thai system must collapse so it can be rebuilt from the ground up …otherwise get ready for this mess every 18 months

To be truthful after almost 3 decades here the only thing that has changed with the ruling class is there’s much more corruption…so I won’t hold my breath (in my lifetime)

Thailand is a lost cause and it deserve what it gets; as so many are to blame from the people who accept money to vote right to the very top that favour nepotism and cronyism/…they are kleptomaniacs that rule by plutocracy

Sounds a lot like you are talking about the USa

I WILL TELL IT AS IT IS>

To compare BKK to Venice is an obscenity.

Only a person who does not know the difference between

a sea and a swamp

a palace and a dump

a cake and noodles

a Renaissance and Illiteracy

a gondola and a tuk-tuk

a Saint Marco and a VAT Crematorium

could make such a sacrilegious comparison.

I have seen and heard many things in many years of living in Thailand.

Some were beautiful, many were ugly, altogether it is a life, - especially when one keeps a healthy sense of humour.

This time I am really angry.

Before BKK 'degenerates' like Venice it has to generate something.

Sorry, but it really was too much...

Fire away!

"To compare BKK to Venice is an obscenity."

+1

• Like 2

I heard that the Thai food was not all that great in the 18th century. Very bland and plain being spice-less. Was not until the Portuguese brought over chili peppers that it started to "spice up" a bit.

• Like 1