• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Time Perhaps For Yet Another Pound/Baht Debate?

Long term I think GBP will weaken vs THB back to 50 and below.

blasphemists will be burned at the stake, quartered and then hung high Fletch! tongue.png

I'm getting worried about these frequent mentions of blaspheming, and burning at the stake Naam. Sounds like a Klingon inquisition may be just around the corner :)

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why nobody open here a € baht discussion ?

So we allready have one for the pound please close this topic now, and let the uk nabours let's talk about there currency!

Go open your own thread, if you want to discuss euro and baht, your fingers don't appear to be broken although your manners do!

Long term I think GBP will weaken vs THB back to 50 and below.

blasphemists will be burned at the stake, quartered and then hung high Fletch! tongue.png

I'm getting worried about these frequent mentions of blaspheming, and burning at the stake Naam. Sounds like a Klingon inquisition may be just around the corner smile.png

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

it's not the Klingons you should worry about Fletch. Klingons don't exchange Pounds into Baht. if you post more of your defaitist statements i suggest frequent looks over your shoulder for country fellows carrying ropes and bundles of dry wood. some may wear hoods with slits for the eyes sad.png

Currencies are one of the hardest things to call short term

once Poland, Romania and Bulgaria switch from Zloty, Leu and Lev to €UR any forecasts of their currency vs. €UR will be rather easy.

laugh.png

Well when they all start using the Euro it will be a great day for them as their countrys will be able to be bailed out by the Eurozone from now untill it collapses(with any luck)

As you can guess i hate the eurozone with a vengance ,but after saying that i have absolutely no problem with the seperate countrys

Edited by i claudius

once Poland, Romania and Bulgaria switch from Zloty, Leu and Lev to €UR any forecasts of their currency vs. €UR will be rather easy.

laugh.png

Well when they all start using the Euro it will be a great day for them as their countrys will be able to be bailed out by the Eurozone from now untill it collapses(with any luck)

As you can guess i hate the eurozone with a vengance ,but after saying that i have absolutely no problem with the seperate countrys

and the best thing of today is that you have learned that the above-mentioned countries do not use the €UR and their citizens working in the United Kingdom do not change Sterling into €URos.

by the way, i am a €U-phob too and that 'par excellence' including the currency. but i stick to facts, do not make ridiculous claims and do not insult people without any reason.

laugh.png

and the best thing of today is that you have learned that the above-mentioned countries do not use the €UR and their citizens working in the United Kingdom do not change Sterling into €URos.

by the way, i am a €U-phob too and that 'par excellence' including the currency. but i stick to facts, do not make ridiculous claims and do not insult people without any reason.

When did i say they use the Euro ,? please enlighten me

Over the week, "the Philippine peso rose 0.3% to 44.515 per dollar. Indonesia’s rupiah strengthened 0.4% to 11,523, Malaysia’s ringgit gained 0.1% to 3.2657 and Vietnam’s dong advanced 0.08% to 21,083. Thailand’s baht was the only decliner, dropping 0.5% to 32.403".

Looks like it's purely down to events in Bangkok.

by the way, i am a €UR-phob too and that 'par excellence' including the currency. but i stick to facts, do not make ridiculous claims and do not insult people without any reason.

you didn't say it. i just claim you did not know. go to court and sue me! tongue.png

by the way, i am a €UR-phob too and that 'par excellence' including the currency. but i stick to facts, do not make ridiculous claims and do not insult people without any reason.

you didn't say it. i just claim you did not know. go to court and sue me! tongue.png

Took you long enough to think that one up ,your usually a bit quicker ,must be getting old Naamtongue.png

Took you long enough to think that one up ,your usually a bit quicker ,must be getting old Naam:P

unlike you i enjoy the weekends. Thaivisa is my gap filler and entertainment when i spend hours on trading days looking at 2 or 3 screens and nothing much happens.

Input to the topic on both sides of the argument:

An interesting piece from Scotibank who have looked at the impact on the economy of rate increases. They reckon that every 1% increase in the BOE rate will reduce GDP growth by 2%, this because the recovery is consumer spending led which will need to be protected at all costs. So what's the answer, raise rates and choke off the recovery and put the economy back into recession, or don't raise rates, protect the recovery and let inflation run rampant? My money is on the latter!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10807988/Rapid-rate-rises-could-throw-UK-back-into-recession.html

Secondly, Fed tapering is half way complete, down to 45 bill from 85 bill. The significance of that is we haven't seen the catastrophic levels of funds outflows from Thailand nor the crashing of THB that some had predicted (read the front page of the Nation to confirm SET buying activity). The thing about tapering is that when it's finished, which it will be by year end, it's no longer a concern, ever.

Edited by chiang mai

Gonna get interesting in the next few weeks

If it breaks 55 will it start approaching 60? wink.png

RAZZ

If Sterling were to touch $1.75 and the Baht to weaken to 34 we'd be a hares breath away from it.........

• Like 1

No debate from me.

My wife and I arrive in LOS imminently for our biannual visit and will savour the cheaper holiday and mother in law will enjoy the increased benefit from the silver that crosses her palm. We're all happy and will enjoy it while it lasts.

The thing about tapering is that when it's finished, which it will be by year end, it's no longer a concern, ever.

Well no, on a number of accounts. Firstly the tapering only represents the reduction in the additional purchases of financial instruments and does not represent a reduction in the value of instruments already held. Secondly, existing instruments can be further swapped shorter term for longer term. Thirdly, the Fed has not definitively ruled out further unconventional actions if the situation requires it, so the overhang of the Federal Reserve's balance sheet remains. There is no 'ever'. Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

Sterling strength has surprised almost everyone for quite some time now, its status as a safe haven currency has worked to its favour as the wrangling in Europe have continued and other conflicts have unwound.

i neither see Sterling strength nor a safe haven behaviour vs UR. what i see is USD weakness (which causes the GBP strengthening vs THB) and over the last four years fluctuations but not a single penny appreciation vs UR.

The Euro ,isnt that the funny money they have in those countrys that keep sending their people to Britain to claim benifits in real money?thumbsup.gif

Zero stats to support that but don't let it bother you.

Well dont see a lot of Brits going to Poland ,romania , Portugal ect ,ect to work or claim benifits and beg ,so you have stats?

No British focused thread on Thai visa is complete without an immigrant and benefit scrounger bash! Regardless of topic!!!!

Sterling strength has surprised almost everyone for quite some time now, its status as a safe haven currency has worked to its favour as the wrangling in Europe have continued and other conflicts have unwound.
i neither see Sterling strength nor a safe haven behaviour vs UR. what i see is USD weakness (which causes the GBP strengthening vs THB) and over the last four years fluctuations but not a single penny appreciation vs UR.

The Euro ,isnt that the funny money they have in those countrys that keep sending their people to Britain to claim benifits in real money?thumbsup.gif

Zero stats to support that but don't let it bother you.

Well dont see a lot of Brits going to Poland ,romania , Portugal ect ,ect to work or claim benifits and beg ,so you have stats?

No British focused thread on Thai visa is complete without an immigrant and benefit scrounger bash! Regardless of topic!!!!

Yes it does get very tiresome.

And yet they live in a country in which they weren't born..seems very hypocritical to me.

The majority of whom have contributed to negativity which surrounds foreigners now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well no, on a number of accounts. Firstly the tapering only represents the reduction in the additional purchases of financial instruments and does not represent a reduction in the value of instruments already held. Secondly, existing instruments can be further swapped shorter term for longer term. Thirdly, the Fed has not definitively ruled out further unconventional actions if the situation requires it, so the overhang of the Federal Reserve's balance sheet remains. There is no 'ever'.

You are correct of course, it was sloppy English on my part. The point I had intended to convey was that the current USD 85 bill. a month QE program is being tapered and we're half way through that, once we reach zero dollars per month, that program will be complete, it will have ended, for ever. That is not to say that other programs of QE could not be stated and/or that they may take a different form.

No, I mean GBP/THB is pushing 1.69, just to anoy and make a point with alfie!:biggrin.png

But yes, kinda bored so I thought I might stir things a tad before dinner and see where it takes us, who knows, we might yet bring the total of thinking minds to three. whistling.gif

Well for starters you don't have a clue.. It's a pity the old thread wasn't here so people could read your post about the GBP remaining weak.. The pound will remain strong I said and also told you about the problems ahead for Thailand.. You like to ignore people and live in your own bubble ..great to. See you proven incorrect.. Was 43 baht to the pound when you where telling ppl it won't get stronger.. Now nearly 55.. You can work the Maths out..

• Like 1

I've read some credible articles recently suggesting that UK interest rates may not be increased for quite some time, simply, anything more than a half percent increase would push large numbers of mortgage holders over the edge and remember, this is a consumer led recovery.

I think the key to the future of the pair rests in the value of USD, when it starts to strengthen against GBP we'll begin to see a stronger Baht, if that coincides with an ending of the political uncertainty that could further add to its strength. The key question I think is how low will THB go before it reverses 55, 57 or something else entirely.

For anyone reading this then the pound will remain strong for a very longtime.. Ignore the USD strengthening malarkey ..

No, I mean GBP/THB is pushing 1.69, just to anoy and make a point with alfie!:biggrin.png

But yes, kinda bored so I thought I might stir things a tad before dinner and see where it takes us, who knows, we might yet bring the total of thinking minds to three. whistling.gif

Well for starters you don't have a clue.. It's a pity the old thread wasn't here so people could read your post about the GBP remaining weak.. The pound will remain strong I said and also told you about the problems ahead for Thailand.. You like to ignore people and live in your own bubble ..great to. See you proven incorrect.. Was 43 baht to the pound when you where telling ppl it won't get stronger.. Now nearly 55.. You can work the Maths out..

Do you mean this thread, please feel free to quote away, please be sure to provide the link to any post that you you quote so that we can all see the context and the imaginative things you had to say at the time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612416-gbp-to-thb-exchange-rate/

I've read some credible articles recently suggesting that UK interest rates may not be increased for quite some time, simply, anything more than a half percent increase would push large numbers of mortgage holders over the edge and remember, this is a consumer led recovery.

I think the key to the future of the pair rests in the value of USD, when it starts to strengthen against GBP we'll begin to see a stronger Baht, if that coincides with an ending of the political uncertainty that could further add to its strength. The key question I think is how low will THB go before it reverses 55, 57 or something else entirely.

For anyone reading this then the pound will remain strong for a very longtime.. Ignore the USD strengthening malarkey ..

And how long is a "very long time", just in broad terms, weeks, months, years?

"very long time" means till Christmas, but we don't know which year.

It's ok chiang mai thinks that the US economy affects the gbp/baht rate !!!! biggrin.png

How ironic, your having a pop at someone about a time element and in the previous post you said "when it starts" so is that just in broad terms, weeks, months, years?

It's ok chiang mai thinks that the US economy affects the gbp/baht rate !!!! biggrin.png

I can't think of two more fitting candidates to agree on that point, it's really strange that both should emerge from the woodwork on the same day, following many many months of silence, what's that all about I wonder! Whatever, go for it guys/guy, twadlle nevertheless.

Afterthought: perhaps you should organise a poll or similar to see whether viewers think the Thai economy cares more about its currency relationship to USD or GBP and if the latter, what steps BOT might take to influence such movements.