Jury Finds Samsung Phones Infringe on Two Apple Patents, Awards $119.6 Million

Lite Beer

Jury Finds Samsung Phones Infringe on Two Apple Patents, Awards $119.6 Million

A federal jury ruled Friday that Samsung products infringed on two patents that Apple had sued over in its latest patent case and award more than $119.6 million in damages.

The jury found all accused Samsung phones infringed on the first patent at issue, the ’647 quick links patent, but ruled various phones did not infringe on two others. For one other it ruled some Samsung products infringe, while others did not.

Four a fifth patent, the judge had ruled that Samsung’s products infringe on the Apple patent and the jury determined that infringement was willful.

The verdict was reached after three full days of deliberations.

Apple had been seeking $2.2 billion in damages, while Samsung argued that it owed at most $38 million or so, not that it believed it infringed Apple’s patents in the first place. It was also seeking about $6 million from Apple on its countersuit.

The eight-member jury heard more than 50 hours of testimony in all, as well as opening and closing statements.

The verdict is still being read. More details to come.

Source: http://recode.net/2014/05/02/jury-finds-samsung-infringed-on-apple-patents/

--ReCode 2014-05-03

What a waste of money. A jury deliberating on multi million corps spats.Let these companies play their playground"This ball is mine you cant play with it" on their own. As far as Apple is concerned it should concentrate on improving current phones that suck rather than moan about small features that they say are copied.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mixed verdict in Samsung-Apple patent trial

SAN JOSE, United States - Jurors on Friday ordered Samsung to pay just a fraction of the big-money damages sought by Apple in a high-stakes Silicon Valley case over smartphone patents.

The jury in federal court in California found that Samsung violated some patents and ruled that the South Korean consumer electronics giant should pay $119.6 million in damages.

The jury also found credence in counter-claims by Samsung and said in its verdict that Apple should pay its rival $158,400 in damages.

The outcome is sharply different from a 2012 patent trial in the same court. Unlike the previous case in which Apple was a clear winner, this time Samsung prevailed in many areas.

Apple’s legal team had urged jurors to order the South Korean electronics giant to pay more than $2 billion in damages for flagrantly copying iPhone features.

Meanwhile, Samsung lawyers maintained that the legal onslaught is the result of a "holy war" Apple declared on Google-made Android software used to power smartphones

In August 2012, a separate jury in the same court decided that Samsung should pay Apple $1.049 billion in damages for illegally copying iPhone and iPad features, in one of the biggest patent cases in decades.

The damage award was later trimmed to $929 million and is being appealed.

The verdict on Friday came after three full days of deliberation in a patent trial that began at the start of April before US District Court Judge Lucy Koh in the Silicon Valley city of San Jose.

Patents at issue in the case involve unlocking touchscreens with slide gestures, automatically correcting words being typed, retrieving data sought by users and performing actions on found data such as making a call after coming up with a phone number.

Samsung devices targeted by Apple include more than half a dozen smartphones from the Galaxy line, along with the Galaxy 2 tablet.

Samsung, in a counter move, accused Apple of infringing on patents related to transmitting digital video and storing digital images.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-03

What a waste of money. A jury deliberating on multi million corps spats.Let these companies play their playground"This ball is mine you cant play with it" on their own. As far as Apple is concerned it should concentrate on improving current phones that suck rather than moan about small features that they say are copied.

I am glad you said that. I love apple products but do not use the iPhone, as I feel it could be so much better. I am proud to say I prefer Samsung. Faster, much better display, larger display, optional android keyboards, (I detest the apple keyboard, which I consider to be the perfect keyboard for a 13 year old girl, with tiny fingers) etc. I could go on all day long. They still make the best computers, and I use them. But they were left behind in the smartphone market long ago. Why am I so skeptical about these verdicts? They sound so biased in favor of an American company. Granted one that pays little or no tax in the US, but is still considered an American company. LOL. They all steal from each other, but I think I detect some sour grapes on the part of Apple, due to loss of market share, and no longer having the "best" phone.

I'm so glad Steve Jobs is dead. Perhaps now Apple can start innovating again instead of litigating like a spoiled brat.

I really don't know enough about the case to have a reasonably informed opinion as to the verdict, but...

Why should Apple (or anybody else) bother to "innovate" anything if people like you would just as soon they give it all away and not be able to defend what they've created when someone tries to copy, i.e., steal it? Do you think they do it solely for the satisfaction of a job well done? Are you in the habit of turning back YOUR paychecks for that reason?

I know, I know. Any excuse to take a swipe at those evil, no-good, greedy, non-progressive korpurashuns...

What I don't understand is why a jury has to decide a case like this. One can understand juries in criminal cases but here it's like a football team playing at home with the match officials all from the home area.

When Apple tried to sue Microsoft (some years ago) for copying their Mac OS, they lost. Samsung being a foreign company is an easier target.

BTW I've no doubt that early Windows was copied (reverse engineered) from the Mac.

I'm so glad Steve Jobs is dead. Perhaps now Apple can start innovating again instead of litigating like a spoiled brat.

I really don't know enough about the case to have a reasonably informed opinion as to the verdict, but...

Why should Apple (or anybody else) bother to "innovate" anything if people like you would just as soon they give it all away and not be able to defend what they've created when someone tries to copy, i.e., steal it? Do you think they do it solely for the satisfaction of a job well done? Are you in the habit of turning back YOUR paychecks for that reason?

I know, I know. Any excuse to take a swipe at those evil, no-good, greedy, non-progressive korpurashuns...

They haven't given anything away. Apple are basically patent trolls these days.

http://gizmodo.com/5958762/apple-finally-patents-the-round-cornered-rectangle

Edited by Chicog

Lol. Nice try Player One. 'Don't think the Samsung lawsuit was over rounded corners. What, you thought no one would follow your link? (Which WAS, btw, totally irrelevant to the Samsung case. No one really should bother.)

Edited by hawker9000

American protectionism by Apple and courts ,How ironic though that they make their phones in the "wicked ,unchristian China" Hypocrisy stench

American protectionism by Apple and courts ,How ironic though that they make their phones in the "wicked ,unchristian China" Hypocrisy stench

Does anybody else see the irony in which device this post was sent from? whistling.gif

I would not really be very surprised if Samsung indeed copied things.

Nearly anything coming out of Asia has been copied.

Cars, phones, computers, you name it, they copied it.

Copied yes, but also improved upon, usually. But you'll never get an Apple Cultist to agree.

Lol. Nice try Player One. 'Don't think the Samsung lawsuit was over rounded corners. What, you thought no one would follow your link? (Which WAS, btw, totally irrelevant to the Samsung case. No one really should bother.)

The first trial where they were awarded $1 billion (later reduced) did include the rounded corner patent as one of the infringed patents. Though if I recall, only a small portion of the $1 billion was for that as the "infringing" phone was not a good selling model. Was a big topic of discussion that the patent had been awarded in the first place.

apple miles in front in build qaulity alone... samsungs for people who cant afford apple end off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Truly the most astute observation regarding patent lawsuits ever. If you're not a lawyer already, maybe consider taking it up.

It is a shame the remaining Beatles , or the estate of the deceased Beatles, don''t sue Apple for the theft of their insignia. but that would show how childish all this "ownership" of ideas and design really is.

Does anybody else see the irony in which device this post was sent from? whistling.gif

no irony pal.I have an iphone, my first and last.I have discovered how over rated and hyped Apple is.

people go on about playgrounds my ball his ball.. look at yourselves...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, given that this is your third post in five minutes, I quite take your point.

no irony pal.I have an iphone, my first and last.I have discovered how over rated and hyped Apple is.

...and yet you're still using it.

One consumer's moaning isn't much of an indicator, particularly when his real gripe has to do with the way business works. Give me a call when Apple can't sell its product anymore and is going out of business. There was all this same sort of squealing over the Starbuck's trademark infringement things by some guy in Bangkok. The sour grapers were all about how crummy their coffee actually is. And yet, Starbucks seems to keep scraping by, all over the world, with its crummy coffee.

By all means, continue to nurse those dearly held pet peeves. Just don't think that by doing so you're Inching any closer to reality.

Edited by hawker9000

I'm so glad Steve Jobs is dead. Perhaps now Apple can start innovating again instead of litigating like a spoilt brat.

Steve Jobs not an innovator? That's a new one. That's a ripper. Good imagination you got there.

There is an old saying you are not yet aware of. YET.

Don't speak badly of the dead. Especially when you can't even remember what they did.

• Like 1

I'm so glad Steve Jobs is dead. Perhaps now Apple can start innovating again instead of litigating like a spoilt brat.

Steve Jobs not an innovator? That's a new one. That's a ripper. Good imagination you got there.

Don't speak badly of the dead. Especially when you can't even remember what they did.

I'll speak how I like, thank you.

I can remember what he *used* to do.

But unfortunately he spent his last few years as a bitter old man trying to sue the tits of anyone who would dare compete with him.

What earth-shattering innovation have Apple come up since the ipad? (which wasn't even the first touchscreen tablet in the world anyway, just a nice new one).

As karma follows the laws of attraction I guess you will attract people who are glad you are dead when you go also.

N'est pas?

If you leave a legacy in innovation of integrated computer and software design, the most user friendly operating system in the world, the most successful online store in the world, the ability for people to buy one song from an album with royalties going to the artist, spreading the wealth, making music more affordable, reducing music piracy, the most robust smart phone in the world, et al et al, should I count the ways, which has the faintest resemblance to what this man achieved in his life time, you should die happy.

Then it won't matter if bitter old cretins are glad you are dead either.

I'll speak how I like, thank you.

I can remember what he *used* to do.

But unfortunately he spent his last few years as a bitter old man trying to sue the tits of anyone who would dare compete with him.

What earth-shattering innovation have Apple come up since the ipad? (which wasn't even the first touchscreen tablet in the world anyway, just a nice new one).

Just in case you miss it

As karma follows the laws of attraction I guess you will attract people who are glad you are dead when you go also.

N'est pas?

If you leave a legacy in innovation of integrated computer and software design, the most user friendly operating system in the world, the most successful online store in the world, the ability for people to buy one song from an album with royalties going to the artist, spreading the wealth, making music more affordable, reducing music piracy, the most robust smart phone in the world, et al et al, should I count the ways, which has the faintest resemblance to what this man achieved in his life time, you should die happy.

Then it won't matter if bitter old cretins are glad you are dead either.

...and yet you're still using it.

One consumer's moaning isn't much of an indicator, particularly when his real gripe has to do with the way business works. Give me a call when Apple can't sell its product anymore and is going out of business. There was all this same sort of squealing over the Starbuck's trademark infringement things by some guy in Bangkok. The sour grapers were all about how crummy their coffee actually is. And yet, Starbucks seems to keep scraping by, all over the world, with its crummy coffee.

By all means, continue to nurse those dearly held pet peeves. Just don't think that by doing so you're Inching any closer to reality.

wow needing to defend starsucks now.A true defender of corporate USA hype and how they hate it when some others challenge them. Oh and of course "lawyers" what would Corporate USA be if it didnt spend millions on them.

Edited by kingalfred