Researching Isan food

Smagpaathailand

Hello,

We're two journalists travelling Isan and the rest of Thailand doing research for a culinary travel guide for tourists visiting the country. The book will cover regional Thai food and we're in Ubon at the moment and plan to travel around Isan over the next week. We're looking for locals and foreigners living in Isan to teach us about the food and show us the best places to eat.

We're also looking for a translator with knowledge of food to spend some time with us.

Thanks,

Christina and Sofie

Smag På Thailand

I spent Songkran at my girlfriends mums house in Wangsaphung, Loei. The food was great, but fairly basic for the first day (bamboo curry, grilled snakehead fish, lots of omlettes, lots of sticky rice and spicy sauce with everything). Then her aunt turned up with a big bag of ant larvae and flying ants..... Needless to say, she proceeded to generously pile said ants into every meal for the rest of my four day stay, thus spoiling every meal! (In my opinion). Anyway, I was told the ants are considered quite a delicacy by her family at least. You don't often see things like this on the menu in most Thai cities and towns. I think it would be a good idea to try to get to some rural Isaan villages to get more of an authentic viewpoint for your research.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Restaurants in Ubon

Best guay jab 15°14'16.27"N, 104°51'12.72"E (Go at night.) When Thais think of food in Ubon they think of guay jab and moo yoo (rhymes with poo law) Ask around for both of those. I've tried many guay jab shops. This is definitely the one to go to.

Best Larb Namtok I have ever had in my life. 15°16'22.82"N, 104°50'53.14"E (Go for lunch or evening)

Best som tum and fried chicken stand 15°16'39.35"N, 104°51'21.43"E (Go in the morning)

Best khao tom shop 15°14'8.13"N, 104°51'25.82"E (Go at night)

View Moon Restaurant is a great place to try a wide variety of Isan food. They have a great cook. A little pricy but good. http://www.myeggnoodles.com/view-moon-restaurant-ubon.html

The Home is supposed to be good but my wallet says no. www.thehomeubon.com

Some more form Chris. http://www.myeggnoodles.com/isaan-restaurant-ubon-ratchathani.html

Sri Isan is supposed to be good. < Link to Bangkok Post removed >

Krungthep Restaurant is pretty good. I think it's a bit too greasy. http://www.memock.com/2012/07/28/krungthep-restaurant-ubon-ratchathani/

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I need to get out more and find more restaurants. Maybe us Ubon folk should start a new thread of our favorite restaurants.

p.s. I agree with the above post recommending the jumping shrimp. I don't know where to get it but I find it humorous watching my brother-in-law eating it as they jump off his spoon.

Edited by metisdead
26) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be dele
  • Like 1

The thread is another excellent opportunity for those one/none time visitors to unfold their prejudices bah.gif

I live here. Rat tastes alright but the bones make it so tought to eat I fear I am burning more calories than I gain. The tough beef is the same.

I spent Songkran at my girlfriends mums house in Wangsaphung, Loei. The food was great, but fairly basic for the first day (bamboo curry, grilled snakehead fish, lots of omlettes, lots of sticky rice and spicy sauce with everything). Then her aunt turned up with a big bag of ant larvae and flying ants..... Needless to say, she proceeded to generously pile said ants into every meal for the rest of my four day stay, thus spoiling every meal! (In my opinion). Anyway, I was told the ants are considered quite a delicacy by her family at least. You don't often see things like this on the menu in most Thai cities and towns. I think it would be a good idea to try to get to some rural Isaan villages to get more of an authentic viewpoint for your research.

They broke out the specialties just for you.

The snake head, Pla Chon The Bamboo soup, Mushroom soup and omelettes are quite good.

• Like 1

Correct you only get to sample peasant food with said peasants.

Hmmm, I wouldn't call them peasants at all.

You wouldn't but their dietary intake leads me to think otherwise,I mean who in this day and age eats ants and their eggs,only normally those who have very little,it's then described as a delicacy,c'mon .

Been there got the T shirt,now I realise what a fool I was for thinking how exciting this Thai peasantry way of life was now I steer well clear of the jungle food mate.

• Like 1

I don't know who you can get for the translation but here a few of the real local dishes that you must not miss

1) Kungten, กุ้งเต้น jumping shrimp spicy salad, made of small shrimps freshly caught from the Moon River, go to Had Khoo Duae for the real experience. Oh..this is raw shrimp so

You are at risk of parasite for sure

2) Somtam and Gai yang with Khoaniaw, สัมตำไก่ย่าง ข้าวเหนียวspicy papaya salad with grilled chicken and sticky rice. It is nowadays found all over Thailand but Isan is the origin of this signature dish and it is a great combination of food.

3) Guayjap Yuan ก๋วยจั๊บญวน ( Vietnamese noodle soup) there is a huge Vietnamese Thai community in Ubon and they make this dish very tasty and unique

4) Wild mushroom soup เกงเห็ดโคน เกงเห็ดละโงก only available during raining season when the local mushroom grow.

5)bamboo shoot soup เกงหน่อไม้ is also Isan special dish

6) Frog dish best for me is frog fried thai holy basil กบผัดกระเพรา

7) the restaurant called smile is the place that you will be able to eat without having a run.... Many thai dishes and thai fusion:-)

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thank you very much!

Restaurants in Ubon

Best guay jab 15°14'16.27"N, 104°51'12.72"E (Go at night.) When Thais think of food in Ubon they think of guay jab and moo yoo (rhymes with poo law) Ask around for both of those. I've tried many guay jab shops. This is definitely the one to go to.

Best Larb Namtok I have ever had in my life. 15°16'22.82"N, 104°50'53.14"E (Go for lunch or evening)

Best som tum and fried chicken stand 15°16'39.35"N, 104°51'21.43"E (Go in the morning)

View Moon Restaurant is a great place to try a wide variety of Isan food. They have a great cook. A little pricy but good. http://www.myeggnoodles.com/view-moon-restaurant-ubon.html

Some more form Chris. http://www.myeggnoodles.com/isaan-restaurant-ubon-ratchathani.html

Krungthep Restaurant is pretty good. I think it's a bit too greasy. http://www.memock.com/2012/07/28/krungthep-restaurant-ubon-ratchathani/

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I need to get out more and find more restaurants. Maybe us Ubon folk should start a new thread of our favorite restaurants.

p.s. I agree with the above post recommending the jumping shrimp. I don't know where to get it but I find it humorous watching my brother-in-law eating it as they jump off his spoon.

Thank you ubonrthai! Very detailed, much appreciated!

Ants and larvae with mint and chili peppers is great...and exoensive...like eating caviar which is just expensive fish roe....peasant food or down home cooking. ..its all good. Sticky rice in bamboo sold on side of road. ..yumyum

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The sticky rice in bamboo ( kow laam) is great. I like the purple rice better. My wife still likes the ant eggs. First thing she gets when in country ( half time in Dallas TX and half in Warin).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Restaurants in Ubon

Thanks for this list, I and a mate of mine are planning on doing a tour of Thailand later this year, I've copied the above for future reference.

If you pass to Udon Thani you should try "Krua Khun Nid" restaurant which has the full blown menu of isaan food - one of two restaurants I have been to offering frogs, but they were out when I ordered as it was in dry season.

To find a little north of Nong Prajak lake.

Bye,

Derk

Another authentic Isan would be Jaew Hon แจ่วฮ้อน which is Isan hot pot. It's really tasty and full of flavor with plenty of local herb. Maybe ubonthai can give you coordinate.

Oh and not to miss the grilled sticky rice coated with eggs, ข้าวจี่,this can be found at local market especially in the morning it's a real taste of Isan. Actually it's a good breakfast for winter time when people in the village wake up in a chill early morning, they make fire to keep warm and then grill the sticky rice for the kids...old way in the village not easy to find nowadays

Keep us posted how you find the food and places the OP, it shall be a great thread for us all too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I don't know who you can get for the translation but here a few of the real local dishes that you must not miss

1) Kungten, กุ้งเต้น jumping shrimp spicy salad, made of small shrimps freshly caught from the Moon River, go to Had Khoo Duae for the real experience. Oh..this is raw shrimp so

You are at risk of parasite for sure

2) Somtam and Gai yang with Khoaniaw, สัมตำไก่ย่าง ข้าวเหนียวspicy papaya salad with grilled chicken and sticky rice. It is nowadays found all over Thailand but Isan is the origin of this signature dish and it is a great combination of food.

3) Guayjap Yuan ก๋วยจั๊บญวน ( Vietnamese noodle soup) there is a huge Vietnamese Thai community in Ubon and they make this dish very tasty and unique

4) Wild mushroom soup เกงเห็ดโคน เกงเห็ดละโงก only available during raining season when the local mushroom grow.

5)bamboo shoot soup เกงหน่อไม้ is also Isan special dish

6) Frog dish best for me is frog fried thai holy basil กบผัดกระเพรา

7) the restaurant called smile is the place that you will be able to eat without having a run.... Many thai dishes and thai fusion:-)

Hope this helps

just watch Andrew Zimmern's bizarre foods- explains all. regarding to goong daeng it is must do and dont miss the larb noo( rat salad) and before you eat som tam issan take a big smell of pla raa you gonna love...

sorry babe( to my wife) no offence intended but issan food is sh$$t.best was the "BBQ" at my FIL's house raw liver,raw loung and raw heart of something cover with chili and fish sauce- i pretendend to be " iim laao" ...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hmmm, I wouldn't call them peasants at all.

You wouldn't but their dietary intake leads me to think otherwise,I mean who in this day and age eats ants and their eggs,only normally those who have very little,it's then described as a delicacy,c'mon .

Been there got the T shirt,now I realise what a fool I was for thinking how exciting this Thai peasantry way of life was now I steer well clear of the jungle food mate.

Ever been to Korea? For an up and coming nation they eat some really dodgy food.

The sticky rice in bamboo ( kow laam) is great. I like the purple rice better. My wife still likes the ant eggs. First thing she gets when in country ( half time in Dallas TX and half in Warin).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Purple because of the beans in it.