Michelangelo's David might be on his last ankles

Catch him while you can!

Nothing lasts forever.

So they're saying the statue might fall.

I don't entirely get this.

Can't they figure out a way to prevent that?

Back to Yummy David.

Have you seen David in Florence?

How old were you if you did (the first time)?

What do you think about David's small thingie? I think it's a good thing because it makes the focus of his beauty the entire body instead.

No! It is not true that is a typical size for a Jewish schlong!

Save David!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/michelangelo-masterpiece-could-collapse-from-davids-weak-ankles-9316414.html

Edited by Jingthing

Rolling eyes emoticons aside, art is hardly a 'gay' specific subject (even if it's a discussion about David and his schlong) ...

Michaelangelo might be a gay icon but that doesn't make him gay.

Kylie Minogue, gay icon, not gay...

Michelangelo loved men romantically. That is known. Whether he actually did anything about it in the bed department (he lived in different and repressive times) is not really known. He wasn't "gay" in the modern sense which is a matter of identity and thus a modern concept.

BTW, don't bother criticizing threads here for not belonging on this forum. That's a moderation matter. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Rolling eyes emoticons aside, art is hardly a 'gay' specific subject (even if it's a discussion about David and his schlong) ...

Michaelangelo might be a gay icon but that doesn't make him gay.

Kylie Minogue, gay icon, not gay...

Michelangelo did have a gay lover. But he wasn't as notorious for it as Leonardo da Vinci.

I'm not a historian, but I rather get the impression that Renaissance Italy wasn't really worried about gay/straight. They just did what comes naturally. The anti-gay sentiment was more a Calvinist/Puritan thing, with the Catholic Church not wanting to be left out.

I've never seen the David, but I'm not a size queen, and I don't think the size of his dick would have worried me much.

Michelangelo loved men romantically. That is known. Whether he actually did anything about it in the bed department (he lived in different and repressive times) is not really known. He wasn't "gay" in the modern sense which is a matter of identity and thus a modern concept.

BTW, don't bother criticizing threads here for not belonging on this forum. That's a moderation matter. Cheers.

He was also romantically involved with women.

I asked you, the OP, why you felt that this news item was posted in the gay forum.

You then quoted Michaelangelo, as if that instantly answered it away...

Why is it when you're challenged, you appear to come out with the 'I'm taking my bat and ball and going home' attitude?

Suppose you'll next be asking 'openly' that if this is the direction the thread is going to take that the Mods close it down?

It's a news item. It's got a gay angle. Two actually. I originally got directed to the link in the OP from a GAY news website. Yes, Virginia, the story has GAY interest. The artist's sexuality AND the sculpture which is an extremely classic and famous icon of MALE beauty. It is not Thai related. There isn't an art forum. Members can't post into the world news. I suggest you learn the forum rules. The thread topic is fine here. If it isn't it will be dealt with, but not by you. It is really not cool to come on here and challenge people over whether a topic fits here. You should learn that. Really.

Edited by Jingthing

From the stickie at the top of the forum:

"My first addendum to the subforum guidelines here. Topics of a gay-related nature are allowed here (as are women-related topics in the lady's subforum and teaching/education-related topics in the teaching subforum) without the need to be Thai-related. Posters who only post to inquire about this will be presumed to be trolling and warned (at least). Please check subforum guidelines carefully before posting, and enjoy posting on Thaivisa. "

Now if you don't like what's posted in the gay forum either report it to the mods or don't bother reading it. Up to you.

Cries of 'it's not fair' don't really cut the mustard.

It's a news item. It's got a gay angle. Two actually. I originally got directed to the link in the OP from a GAY news website. Yes, Virginia, the story has GAY interest. The artist's sexuality AND the sculpture which is an extremely classic and famous icon of MALE beauty. It is not Thai related. There isn't an art forum. Members can't post into the world news. I suggest you learn the forum rules. The thread topic is fine here. If it isn't it will be dealt with, but not by you. It is really not cool to come on here and challenge people over whether a topic fits here. You should learn that. Really.

Oh it's because the link to the article came from a gay news website, cool, thanks for clearing that up. :)

As for the rest of your rhetoric, will let that through to the keeper.. Petty name calling hardly adds to the benefit of the thread..

You still don't get it. Anyway ...

No, I get it. You answered the original question I asked you and that's appreciated...

You can act like that was the complete answer, but in actually my ENTIRE POST was the complete answer.

The thread was reported, but it was decided to leave it in the gay forum since the posts had already taken on a flavor that might not be appreciated in another forum.

Non-gays are welcome to post, just follow the rules.

Michelangelo%27s_David_-_63_grijswaarden

This could be the all-new must have avatar.

A new theme emerges:

Changes at the molecular level in an Renaissance sculpture, created in a long bygone independent city-state somewhere in Southern Europe, reinvigorates discussion boards around the world at the point of iconoclasm. coffee1.gif

The possibilities are endless... a new icon of popular culture. A new international brand... Forget about Louis Vuitton, Guci, and WhatNot. Here comes Michelangelo’s David. The ultimate transfiguration. The Renaissance adaptation of an Abrahamic story that became a post-modern icon now ventures into the mainstream. whistling.gif

• Like 1