shopping for small double bed

beau thai

I am looking for furniture for a small studio and struggling to find a 4'6 bed.

In Uk a small double is 4'; a double is 4'6", a king size 5' and super king size 6'.

Bit of a puzzle, when there are soon many small studios here, why 5' queen size are standard and although I can get a mattress to order in 4'6, the bed is proving more difficult. Any one got any ideas where I can get one - I can probably get one made but suspect that will be more than I want to pay.

I heard yesterday of some new condos in town that measure 15sq metres - surely they will need small beds for those !!

Never come across a 4'6" bed in Thailand. You have a 3' single, a 5' double and a 6' double. At least that's what the generic furniture shops sell as standard.

Yep- that's why I asked the question......

How much is more than you want to pay? You could probably get one made at Baan Tawai for 8,000 or less, perhaps even down to 5-6,000.

E.g., my partly teakwood bed (headrest of teak, rest hardwood) cost 10,000 for queen size after some light bartering.

For a less fancy headrest, and hardwood all the way, I suspect 8,000 would have been accepted without much said. And from there on, you could make the rest of the bed more plain too of course. Not that my bed is particularly extravagant, but it is a league (rather than just a notch) above what you see in the average studio, so there is room to make it plainer and cheaper. Quoted delivery time was around three weeks, but took closer to six weeks if I recall correctly. I paid 25% up front.

How much is more than you want to pay? You could probably get one made at Baan Tawai for 8,000 or less, perhaps even down to 5-6,000.

E.g., my partly teakwood bed (headrest of teak, rest hardwood) cost 10,000 for queen size after some light bartering.

For a less fancy headrest, and hardwood all the way, I suspect 8,000 would have been accepted without much said. And from there on, you could make the rest of the bed more plain too of course. Not that my bed is particularly extravagant, but it is a league (rather than just a notch) above what you see in the average studio, so there is room to make it plainer and cheaper. Quoted delivery time was around three weeks, but took closer to six weeks if I recall correctly. I paid 25% up front.

Very helpful-thanks. I'll get out there this week.

Yes, no doubt you get the base custom made, but what about the actual mattress. Unlikely you could get away from the usual specifications.

As I said in my original post, I can get the mattress no problem, it is the bed that is difficult

Very grateful for your advice Awk. went out to Baan Tawai yesterday and found a couple of places that would make the bed more or less as I want for less than 8k. Never bothered to go out there before and found it very interesting. I had assumed it was an over priced tourist trap, but stuff we looked at (and bought) was cheaper than in town, and interesting to watch artists at work out there.

Then having looked at the beds, it reminded me of a pine bed I built myself many many years ago, so then off to Global House to search out and price timber etc! Stil considering whether I want the hassle of the DiY bed or Baan Tawai, but at least one way or the other I can get a bed of the size I want for the small studio.

So thanks again