The "I've been here longer than you" people.

Deaw

The ironic thing is most of these people you speak of,I've met them first hand also,speak hardly any Thai and despise the place,hang on this could be your average TV member.

I completely agree with the OP and their views about this subject and especially the so called "VETS" that don't speak a damn word of the language.

There is absolutely no excuse at all. Period. And the ones with the "because I choose NOT to learn" have no excuse either. Just hypocrites.

And the reason why I call them hypocrites is because of this main reason:

They expect YOU to learn their language when you live in their country.

And you can bet your boobies they commented on that or have at the very least, thought about it when they came across a foreigner living in their country for 15+ years.

That goes for language teachers as well. If you take the time to learn THEIR language, it will go a long ways. It puts you in their shoes and makes you a better teacher.

I could not have survived in Japan my 17 years there nor Hong Kong 8 years [sarcasm] yep, that's right you vets, 17 years in Japan. I guess that makes me someone special like you[\sarcasm] without cracking open the books and studying the language.

I just finished 8 months in Thailand with an ED visa and am grateful that I did.

The attitude of the native people, where ever you live in the world, changes drastically towards you when you make some attempt to learn their language.

And why not? You DO expect the same from them in your home country.

Why you ask? Because it shows them respect. It shows you put time and effort to learn about them and their unique culture(s).

I remember buying my curry and fried fish from some shop owners at the open market. The first few months not knowing the language, they just served me. No smile. "Another Farang who doesn't speak Thai" attitude.

Months later with some conversation skills under my belt, those same people were not only serving me extra food but were engaging in small talk and giving a real Thai smile.

The so called "Vets" can kiss my butt. I've been in Asia for 25 years and loving it.

And I've got Japanese, Cantonese and Thai to put in my resume.

So, Mr. Vet, what did you accomplish in all those years except to grow a festering attitude on your shoulder and copious amounts of Chang/Leo?

...2 beautiful sons and a beautiful wife. you?

• Like 2

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ironic thing is most of these people you speak of,I've met them first hand also,speak hardly any Thai and despise the place,hang on this could be your average TV member.

I completely agree with the OP and their views about this subject and especially the so called "VETS" that don't speak a damn word of the language.

There is absolutely no excuse at all. Period. And the ones with the "because I choose NOT to learn" have no excuse either. Just hypocrites.

And the reason why I call them hypocrites is because of this main reason:

They expect YOU to learn their language when you live in their country.

And you can bet your boobies they commented on that or have at the very least, thought about it when they came across a foreigner living in their country for 15+ years.

That goes for language teachers as well. If you take the time to learn THEIR language, it will go a long ways. It puts you in their shoes and makes you a better teacher.

I could not have survived in Japan my 17 years there nor Hong Kong 8 years [sarcasm] yep, that's right you vets, 17 years in Japan. I guess that makes me someone special like you[\sarcasm] without cracking open the books and studying the language.

I just finished 8 months in Thailand with an ED visa and am grateful that I did.

The attitude of the native people, where ever you live in the world, changes drastically towards you when you make some attempt to learn their language.

And why not? You DO expect the same from them in your home country.

Why you ask? Because it shows them respect. It shows you put time and effort to learn about them and their unique culture(s).

I remember buying my curry and fried fish from some shop owners at the open market. The first few months not knowing the language, they just served me. No smile. "Another Farang who doesn't speak Thai" attitude.

Months later with some conversation skills under my belt, those same people were not only serving me extra food but were engaging in small talk and giving a real Thai smile.

The so called "Vets" can kiss my butt. I've been in Asia for 25 years and loving it.

And I've got Japanese, Cantonese and Thai to put in my resume.

So, Mr. Vet, what did you accomplish in all those years except to grow a festering attitude on your shoulder and copious amounts of Chang/Leo?

...2 beautiful sons and a beautiful wife. you?

Awesome. You've got your priorities right.

A beautiful wife / GF plus kids is always more important than language skills.

But have you tried learning Thai?

We have those people in the states too except it's usually in some tourist area like Key West.

Here we call them <deleted>. Not sure what you call them in Thailand.

People like that think they know everything but that usually means they don't know shit.

I use to work in Medicine as a special forces medic and rotated in hospitals for training when not in the field, and the doctors I remember best and have the most respect for were the ones who dropped their egos and taught me to be better then I was. They shared their time to teach me to be the best at what I did and then their were others who blew me off cause they thought they were too important for me. In the end they were hurting others who I may treat but not helping me learn.

I am sure you will find an expat that will take the time to teach you about the country and make it more interesting to be there.

Likely the dicks you've met know less about Thailand then you. They obviously are not the type to listen and teach, and teaching is what makes us know our subject better then ever.

Anyway, I'd rather be the guy that is well traveled and not stuck in one country for twenty years.

you should try Australia, as an Aussie I have worked and lived in many country towns where if you are not 4th or 5th generation from that area you are simply a blow in that's good for nothing but a punching bag at the local watering hole. Anyway, it's been my experience that most americans want to feel important wherever they are!

Most Americans couldn't point out Australia on a map.

• Like 1

I come from Hawaii. Doesn't matter if it's the U.S. and I lived there my whole life or not, and that I'm a U.S citizen like them, I'm still a haole, or howlie - a white man who doesn't really belong there. Three years or thirty years doesn't matter, I'll still be a visitor here and never a Thai, just like I was never really a Hawaiian. When I came here I decided to learn about the people and the language. I avoided other westerners for two years. I learned a lot in a relatively short period of time. I've found out that I know more about the Thai culture and language than many men I've met who have these "time bragging rights." If you study, pay attention and understand the basic nature of a society or culture, some hard and painful experiences can be avoided. Like the unsuspecting westerner falling in love with and marrying a bar girl. If you talk to enough miserable men in Thai marriage hell who married bar girls, then its fair to say that you've lived in Thailand long enough to know better, and can offer a fair warning. Even before I moved to Thailand I worked as an artist in Hawaii, with my booth alongside ten Thai gals, all ex-bar girls who had their dream come true, married a rich falang. They were all stashing money to one day escape back to their Thai village. And the men were all totally miserable, because their beautiful bar girl retired when she got married - no more do what I do there. (you know what I'm talking about?) Should I mention this to the bloke who is so in love with that girl? After three years I have no bragging rights, but maybe I can help a brother from making a terrible mistake.

• Like 1

Means nothing!

I know a few folk who have been here more than 20 years and are still clueless about the place and whose language skills don't extend beyond "Sawatdee Krap"

Twenty years experience- or one year of experience twenty times over.

But I stll kneel and kiss their ring whistling.gif

My first trip here was in '98 (that's 1898 to you, mates) with Joseph Conrad. Went to live on Borneo til it got too crowded. Came back with Somerset Maugham in '35. We all called him Billy. He favored the lads. He took off for Singapore, had a suite at Raffles Hotel. I went upcountry to see my old pal Orwell when he was serving with the constabulary. Bloody hot, that Meikltila! Fought the Nips alongside the Moros on Luzon. Came back here in '45. Been married five times, have extensive holdings in deep Surin. Yas, yas, not the same place any more. Say, friend, could you stand us another round? How 'bout one your smokes, I seem to have misplaced my pack of 555's.

Now that's a man after my own heart. Ahh, the good ol'days (I wouldn't know, sounds romantic but that's because I wasn't there except in another life)

Where's the quote from?

My first trip here was in '98 (that's 1898 to you, mates) with Joseph Conrad. Went to live on Borneo til it got too crowded. Came back with Somerset Maugham in '35. We all called him Billy. He favored the lads. He took off for Singapore, had a suite at Raffles Hotel. I went upcountry to see my old pal Orwell when he was serving with the constabulary. Bloody hot, that Meikltila! Fought the Nips alongside the Moros on Luzon. Came back here in '45. Been married five times, have extensive holdings in deep Surin. Yas, yas, not the same place any more. Say, friend, could you stand us another round? How 'bout one your smokes, I seem to have misplaced my pack of 555's.

Now that's a man after my own heart. Ahh, the good ol'days (I wouldn't know, sounds romantic but that's because I wasn't there except in another life)

Where's the quote from?

I think it came from his synapses sparking with his neurons. I want more please.

you should try Australia, as an Aussie I have worked and lived in many country towns where if you are not 4th or 5th generation from that area you are simply a blow in that's good for nothing but a punching bag at the local watering hole. Anyway, it's been my experience that most americans want to feel important wherever they are!

Most Americans couldn't point out Australia on a map.

Your source? Uranus?

I gave striking up conversations with any farangs I meet on my travels long ago. Not that I am anti social or unfriendly because if another farang approaches me first I will always find the time to chat and be sociable.

Many of the farangs in Thailand or not like the farangs back home, a lot of them are rude, arrogant, shady and quite frankly, weird. My advice is don`t bother to put yourselves out for these people just to be friendly, it will save disappointments and your time.

C'mon beetle juice you can do better than that, I met a very nice man here from the U.S, helped my Wife with many things and helped us both financially by employing her ( on merit) and is probably the most honest ( too kind sometimes) kind person you could ever hope to meet.

Edited by kannot

Not everyone is like that, but agree that a lot are. If their opening statement does not contain an indication as to how long they have been here then their next question asks (demands) it direct.

If asked by someone I have just met I usually reply 'a while' or something similar. If they then loudly declare 'I've been here xx years' I often just mutter 'bloody newbies' and move on.

(note.. I've been here 'a while')

Of all the expats who come to live here in Thailand, the ones with the most common sense are the ones who will survive here and be happy, I would rather listen and have a conversation with them than some drunk trying to stay on his barstool who has been here for twenty years complaining about this and that. Common sense is more important than anything, and those who have it will not start Thai bashing about any customs and Thai culture that does not interfere with them.

This is their country, and although we are not guests in this country, we should always give them our respect for allowing us to come and live here. The reasons I say we are not guests here is because we are tolerated mainly because of the money we bring in, if you had a guest in your house, they would be there because you invited them, and not because you are tolerating them.

I've been here a while, but in real life I always lie and say I just got here. I'm simply not interested in sharing personal information or answering questions about Thailand to random strangers. I prefer people don't ask me how long I've been here, what I do, ask me for advice, my opinions on Thailand/Thai people/Thai politics, or anything like that all, so I just lie whenever they do and pretend to be fresh off the boat. If they start going on and try to give a lecture it's time for me to move on cause I don't want to listen to that from someone else either.

What a miserable ol' git !

Means nothing!

I know a few folk who have been here more than 20 years and are still clueless about the place and whose language skills don't extend beyond "Sawatdee Krap"

Me..................laugh.png

Don't put yourself down Trans, with the amount of posts you have made, and the amount of posters who will have read them, how can you say you are still clueless?

My source? Miss Teen South Carolina

That's one. 316,128,838 more videos to go. I'll bet 'most' of the people in your country get their facts from Uranus too.

Edited by rijb

Means nothing!

Me..................laugh.png

Don't put yourself down Trans, with the amount of posts you have made, and the amount of posters who will have read them, how can you say you are still clueless?

Agree. Trans seems to be one of the few here that actually knows his backside from his elbow....

• Like 1

The starngest thing is the ones who've been here for years and can barely speak a word of Thai, are still hanging around tourist orientated girlie bars and really know jack shit about Thai culture.

I prefer to assimilate and learn from my adopted country, regardless of where it is.

As for those that hang around bars, etc., it's a strange thing called choice and freedom. They live their lives, I live mine. I try not to take their inventory and I'm all the happier for it.

somchaismith is jealous coz he cant afford to goto the bar and resorts to a bottle of thai whisky with the street zombies.

No doubt, you would like to think that. tingtongdingdong.

Though, drinking a bottle Heineken outside 7/11 would be preferable to drinking in some of the bars

Edited by somchaismith
  • Like 1

My source? Miss Teen South Carolina

That's one. 316,128,838 more videos to go. I'll bet 'most' of the people in your country get their facts from Uranus too.

American men come to Thailand and marry that girl, Miss Teen in the Thai form, and don't have a clue how stupid she may be . . . until they they realize their wife doesn't have a clue were Mississippi or Belgium or South Africa or Hawaii is located on the map, and doesn't care. This isn't Thai bashing anymore than that video is US girl bashing. There are some pretty dumb people in the world, and I've met more than my share of ex-pat men who sit around bars (or troll on TV), putting down anything and everything that is brighter than they are, blubbering in their beer. These are the guys who are most proud of their years here, the same guy who sits in a bar in Joplin, Missouri and says, "I've lived here in Joplin for twenty years." Who gives a shit?

Wait till they get home..<complainers about taxes>

We used to think ten years in Hawaii was special..

Now after thirty-five..I like to help tourists visiting for a few hours..

Trading my place there for the L.O.S...love the posts..aloha

agree about the speaking less thai now than before.

Before i loved going out an my work meant i meet thais and had to speak the language, Now i dont go out as much< ( for sure stay away from places where tourists congergate) and am not going to start up a conversation with one

I am very happy in my little world and the friends i have.

Dont need more

I do love it here an on facebook the amount of poeple that have been here less than 5 years but know everything., yet when you confront what they percieve is the correct, they defend themselves but saying, I have been here longer than you......

So come on guys, how many coups have you been here? thumbsup.gif