The "I've been here longer than you" people.

Deaw

I hear you OP. For me, anyone that volunteers how long they have been here in the first couple of sentences, off topic, usually needs to be avoided.

The second group for me to avoid (even more) are the ones who know all about Thailand and haven't been here long enough......................thumbsup.gif

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been here while, I do not speak Thai or Lao, yet I have many Thai friends, I sing songs at events, I am greeted with hugs, I have noooooooooooo problems.

Why, because I am accepted for who I am...............smile.png

• Like 1

I have been here while, I do not speak Thai or Lao, yet I have many Thai friends, I sing songs at events, I am greeted with hugs, I have noooooooooooo problems.

Tell us....who are you ?

Tell us....who are you ?

Hansum guy.................wub.png ..........................laugh.png ..

• Like 2

I personally sort of like long time expats here, it is always interesting to trade stories

about different places in Asia from a long time ago. What I personally find most annoying

are the guys who have been here a few months, think they have everything worked out,

and sneer at long time expats. In the presence of those guys, I just roll my eyes and move

away ......

Means nothing!

I know a few folk who have been here more than 20 years and are still clueless about the place and whose language skills don't extend beyond "Sawatdee Krap"

That is usually the case. Most of the "seasoned experts" limit themselves to a few watering holes and spout out garbled thai/english at the ladies....then wink at you. I have met many tourists, who have seen much more of Thailand than the veterans, and show much more enthusiasm and respect.

I will not give you the name and town, but I went to a place yesterday up in Isaan, and found a small farang place to eat and have a beer. Pretty much the most unwelcoming experience I have ever had. In contrast, went a few doors down, to a small thai restaurant, and got all the smiles and service one could ask for. (My gal was with me).

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

I personally sort of like long time expats here, it is always interesting to trade stories

about different places in Asia from a long time ago. What I personally find most annoying

are the guys who have been here a few months, think they have everything worked out,

and sneer at long time expats. In the presence of those guys, I just roll my eyes and move

away ......

Agreed, Long term expats can be a good source of advice and i quite enjoy their banter that sometimes comes from my queries about their lives in the LOS.

Sure sometimes they do little other than moan, some take the mickey out me! and some like to brag, either way i usually learn something, get a laugh, have a cry or boost an expat ego or two, everyone's a winner.

I gave striking up conversations with any farangs I meet on my travels long ago. Not that I am anti social or unfriendly because if another farang approaches me first I will always find the time to chat and be sociable.

Many of the farangs in Thailand or not like the farangs back home, a lot of them are rude, arrogant, shady and quite frankly, weird. My advice is don`t bother to put yourselves out for these people just to be friendly, it will save disappointments and your time.

The minute someone tells me he's lived in Thailand for 20 years, I get suspicious. I can think of a dozen reasons why he may have done that, and ten of them are bad. I didn't say that I think ten out of twelve guys are bad, just that the reason could be.

When someone tells me he maintains a home in his home country and visits Thailand once or twice a year, I have fewer reasons to be suspicious. At least he didn't burn all of his bridges in his home country with the law or creditors or something. He also isn't dead broke.

I'm particularly suspicious if a guy tells me he's been in Thailand for 20 years and never gone back to his native country.

The worst critics of farangs being users of other farangs on this site are the members here. Often it's the long time expat who's the user.

I know there are many fine guys here who are long time expats so please don't misquote me. I just don't presume they're upstanding at first.

• Like 1

I know somebody who has been married to a Thai lady for around 20 years, he's lived in Thailand for about the same amount of time and yet barely speaks a word of Thai. Something I just don't understand. I respect anybody who tries to learn a little of the language and a little of the culture. My aim every day in Thailand is to learn a little more without bothering anybody, it's been successful up to now.

• Like 1

Most people come to /live in Thailand for the same reason. I truly wonder about all the prejudices on this forum. Newby, old, grumpy, fat, tattoeed, gullible, 1st time visitor, longterm expat, yank, aussie, etc etc etc. All judgemental.

Just follow this, be openminded and you will be much happier.

post-179267-0-41300800-1399322319_thumb.

• Like 2

Most people come to /live in Thailand for the same reason. I truly wonder about all the prejudices on this forum. Newby, old, grumpy, fat, tattoeed, gullible, 1st time visitor, longterm expat, yank, aussie, etc etc etc. All judgemental.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-03-24-00-00-22-1.png

All agreed... most long term expats are jaded and judgmental.....and pretty much insensitive.

You will find little sympathy, perhaps because of the difficult lives they have led, living in a closed circle of supporters, or far away from family and former friends. Horror stories abound. Not many happy faces amongst them. Faded trust...etc.

All agreed... most long term expats are jaded and judgmental.....and pretty much insensitive.

You will find little sympathy, perhaps because of the difficult lives they have led, living in a closed circle of supporters, or far away from family and former friends. Horror stories abound. Not many happy faces amongst them. Faded trust...etc.

Thats where....a heart to understand ....comes into play.

Most on this forum are connected to thailand for the same reason whith all different previous experiences in life.

I asked this guy, built and maybe a gym user, if he knew of a gym that was close, he grunted at me "DO YOU Live here????!!" I was kinda taken back a bit, and he turned and walked away, displaying a back full of Sak Yant tattooos..

He was definately too hardcore to answer a newbie like me fresh off the boat.

I asked this guy, built and maybe a gym user, if he knew of a gym that was close, he grunted at me "DO YOU Live here????!!" I was kinda taken back a bit, and he turned and walked away, displaying a back full of Sak Yant tattooos..

He was definately too hardcore to answer a newbie like me fresh off the boat.

I think that was Aussiesteve.

• Like 1

What a jerk, thank god most of the new people who come here are okay

I call it the "Old Soldier" attitude. What annoys me mostly is on this forum when guys say... "You should know that already if you'v been here a while"...like...."why aren't you as street-wise as me" attitude...as if we all should be walking in their shoes and not be having a different life experience.of our own.

But on reflection....are we not all prone to doing this in various circumstances...like "I've been in this job 39 yrs. and 57 days"...or.... "This is my 15th time to the Canaries on holidays"....or .....I've been drinking since I was 14 yrs. of age...etc., etc., etc.,

At the end of the day we'er all doing the best we can with what we got so better to not take life too seriously and laugh at ourselves a bit more.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more. I'm relatively new to Thailand and I'm already sick of the 'I've been here longer than you, listen to my expert advice (mainly based on failed relationships with bar girls) <deleted>'.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It tends to be used as a come-back on Thai Visa when someone is losing a debate as well.

"Harumph, well I've been here for over 20 years and have been married to seven different Thai women so I'm better qualified to give advice on maintaining relationships with Thai women than you and your 19 years with one wife." (This Farang Fantasy Factory stuff where you make up things people say is such fun).

Certainly it's no more irritating than someone who has had a single unhappy experience and manages to extrapolate it to proof that ALL THAIS don't want US here.

And we have had some lengthy threads written by people who've spent a month in Thailand and who want to share their "observations" of Thai culture based on their interactions with the bellboys, waitresses and bartenders in a 5 star beach resort which is, of course, more prescient & cutting-edge than anything anyone else could know no matter how long they've stayed here.

I heard him talking to the waitress and his accent told me he was either a Yank or a Canadian, so I asked where he was from.

Personally I find it irritating when complete strangers feel the need to interrogate me in restaurants, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

Moral of this story : Dont talk to strangers

Happened again 2 nights ago, was in a restaurant with a British friend and he stepped outside for a smoke. The guy alone at the next table had heard us talking and I heard him talking to the waitress and his accent told me he was either a Yank or a Canadian, " so I asked where he was from."

• Like 2

Hahaha yeah many of the veterans i have meet are similar. Far from all though. But those i have meet with the attitude cant speak more thai than to order a beer and too say if something is too expensive.

Moral of this story : Dont talk to strangers

Happened again 2 nights ago, was in a restaurant with a British friend and he stepped outside for a smoke. The guy alone at the next table had heard us talking and I heard him talking to the waitress and his accent told me he was either a Yank or a Canadian, " so I asked where he was from."

+1 I would have told him Phrakanong!

Although as the encounter was in Jomtien I am surprised that the "stranger" was not ex SAS.

Also there is a difference between 14 years of experience and 1 year of experience 14 times.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1