The "I've been here longer than you" people.

Deaw

I came to Thailand because quite honestly I couldn't afford to live off my social security/limited savings in the US, and I had heard for years that Thailand was a wonderful place to retire. Maybe that's the truth of many of the older expats who live here. I couldn't find a wife in the US and was lonely, and at first I thought I could find one here. But in the first year I learned how expensive they can be, that you also marry their family, and many are just after your money. So I learned that if I want to be with a woman I could go to Pattaya on vacation. That's expensive, but good for my soul, for my reminder that I'm still a vital man. I studied the language and in the second year realized that I had more Thai friends in Chiang Mai than I imagined. I would walk into cafes and they would be so happy to see me and serve my coffee or breakfast without my saying a word. The Thai people here are overall way kinder and sweeter than the ordinary too rushed people where I came from. This is a wonderful place for me to be, mostly because I can have whatever I want within my means, a great home for 9000 baht, aroi food, and wonderful fulfilling sex whenever I choose to pay for it. What I don't like is all the complaining about this country from falangs. Most of those falangs have been here long enough to have compiled a long list of things to complain about. I've heard all the what could happen stories, and simply choose to avoid being stupid, to the best of my ability. I'll admit that I've come too close to falling in love with an amazingly beautiful, sweet and fun 22 year old bar girl or two, but held back. These are wonderful life experiences that I was a million miles away from in the US. Great fun. Amazing opportunities here. I still dream of #137 and can't believe that this old stud could pick her, and actually make love to one of the most beautiful women on earth. Wow! Thailand is an incredible place to live. I love it here. i say - either love it or leave it.

Can I ask why you couldn't find a wife in the US?

Sure. There are deeply rooted psychological reasons, no doubt. Everyone is a little screwed up in one way or the other. I'm a healthy good looking man with a good heart - a career artist and novelist. I moved to Kauai, Hawaii twenty five years ago. Kauai has a reputation as "monk island." There seems to be an "age appropriate" unwritten law (in the whole US). Most of the middle aged men looked across the aisle at bitter age appropriate women. I'm generalizing, but its just how it was for me, and most of my men friends. The younger women I was attracted to, and could have fun together with, couldn't possibly get serious with someone their father's age. So, as much as I didn't like it, most of those years I was celibate. I was totally willing to meet a woman and marry her, but my prayers were never answered. I couldn't even find the underground hookers, if there were any there at all. When I finally retired, I came to Thailand. I could have been married twenty times since I moved here, but I'm not into rescuing women. I'm not that rich falang they want. Yes, I'm picky. I want the right one - a woman who loves who I am regardless of my age or money in the bank. They say a good man is hard to find. Also a good woman is hard to find. I'm willing and able - where are you darling?

• Like 1

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One very long term resident has written reams about Thailand and yet finds it hard to explain in Thai to a taxi driver where he wants to go. He once tried the 'I've got 30 years experience in Thailand' line. He was put down with the riposte 'No, you've had one year's experience 30 times'.

Personally I like to hear from everyone on there experiences and knowledge as I think I have a lot to lean and like to

learn things everyday. (One of the reasons I read TV). I don't care for know it alls unless they really do know it all about

a particular subject. I really like to learn from others mistakes and yes there successes as well.

The older I get the more I realize there is a great deal to learn about many things, not just life in Thailand. wink.png

• Like 2

Can I ask why you couldn't find a wife in the US?

A perfect example.biggrin.png
Of what?

The "I've been here longer than you" people.

Which in this case I imagine includes almost everyone. biggrin.png No offense.

Uh yeah..........right.

I'm certain that made sense in your head.

Never mind!! Go back to your Hong Thong

Uh yeah..........right.

You mean you don't know some men prefer Thai women over others? That is the reason men move here. I don't think there is anything non PC about that yet.

Some guys like California girls some...... Well lets ask the Beach Boys.

You mean you don't know some men prefer Thai women over others? That is the reason men move here. I don't think there is anything non PC about that yet.

That's the reason some men move here. Many of them seem oddly unable to comprehend that not everyone is here for the same reasons.

Uh yeah..........right.

Well you realize you could have just SAID that instead of trying to be a smart ass, don't you?

I didn't ask why he came here, I asked him why he couldn't find a wife in the US.

The answer he's given since doesn't indicate that he always had a preference for Thai women.

That's the reason some men move here. Many of them seem oddly unable to comprehend that not everyone is here for the same reasons.

I hear ya. But Thai Visa seems to have a monopoly on men who have other reasons for being here as far as I'm concerned because I've never met one in person. smile.png I did meet some Canadians who said they came for the Curling but they were an exception I think.

I hear ya. But Thai Visa seems to have a monopoly on men who have other reasons for being here as far as I'm concerned because I've never met one in person. smile.png I did meet some Canadians who said they came for the Curling but they were an exception I think.

You should get out of the bar now and then, maybe?

Uh yeah..........right.

Well you realize you could have just SAID that instead of trying to be a smart ass, don't you?

I didn't ask why he came here, I asked him why he couldn't find a wife in the US.

The answer he's given since doesn't indicate that he always had a preference for Thai women.

I have to admit life is full of surprises. I have never met a man who had trouble finding a wife in the US.

You should get out of the bar now and then, maybe?

I don't go to bars. Gosh why? Too many nice women in the grocery store. I have heard too many bad things about the caliber of people who frequent bars.

Moral of this story : Dont talk to strangers

Great quintessence. These are exactly the kind of people I can only shake my head about.

Sorry Kandi, Maybe my sarcasm was a little too dry,

I have been here for a number of years and I will always talk to people if they are polite are rarely discuss how long I have been here as its not really relevant.. !!

however the original OP stated " Happened again 2 nights ago, was in a restaurant with a British friend and he stepped outside for a smoke. The guy alone at the next table had heard us talking( how do you know ?) and I heard him talking to the waitress and his accent told me he was either a Yank or a Canadian( so what !!), so I asked where he was from.

Immediately flustered( so he was minding his own business and was interrupted/ harassed.!!, he says "I am from here." Really? You look pretty tall and white to be a Thai, and your English is perfect! ( Great, nice to meet you too ) if that statement had been made to me I would have thought what did I do to attract you to speak with me...maybe we can track down said diner and ask for his opinion, I know what mine is and dont want to get a ban for using offensive terms!! nothing to do with being rude.

Edited by Nickthegreek

Great quintessence. These are exactly the kind of people I can only shake my head about.

I have been here for a number of years and I will always talk to people if they are polite are rarely discuss how long I have been here as its not really relevant.. !!

however the original OP stated " Happened again 2 nights ago, was in a restaurant with a British friend and he stepped outside for a smoke. The guy alone at the next table had heard us talking( how do you know ?) and I heard him talking to the waitress and his accent told me he was either a Yank or a Canadian( so what !!), so I asked where he was from.

Immediately flustered( so he was minding his own business and was interrupted/ harassed.!!, he says "I am from here." Really? You look pretty tall and white to be a Thai, and your English is perfect! ( Great, nice to meet you too ) if that statement had been made to me I would have thought what did I do to attract you to speak with me...maybe we can track down said diner and ask for his opinion, I know what mine is and dont want to get a ban for using offensive terms!! nothing to do with being rude.

If that was just sarcasm, I apologize.

If that was just sarcasm, I apologize.

No Problem, I guess we all have to remember, not everyone is always having a good day or wants to talk with someone they don't know, hence maybe why the guy was flustered...this ole world of ours is full of many different characters and what one man finds strange maybe the norm to another..

So if you were Thai on a visit to the US and the same restaurant scenario occurred, I would think the second Thai would be deeply offended if he was in fact born in the US and not just a tourist.

So in this case, to make the presumption that just because the guy looked caucasian does not mean in any way he wasn't born here or had citizenship.Why the assumption that he wasn't from Thailand? Would you make the same assumption about a black guy in America and presume he was from Africa?

A wee bit racist, are we????

I guess they have to win at something.

Anyone else get there gold thai watch in the mail??? Ahh you havent been here long enough..yeah they send one to you after you become an expert at knowing everything that anyone wants to know. Usually takes about 30 years but i did it in 2 weeks.

Sent from my c64

Not on topic!

Wait a minute wow64, are you accessing TV with a Commodore C64? If so, how does it even load your web browser?

So if you were Thai on a visit to the US and the same restaurant scenario occurred, I would think the second Thai would be deeply offended if he was in fact born in the US and not just a tourist.

So in this case, to make the presumption that just because the guy looked caucasian does not mean in any way he wasn't born here or had citizenship.Why the assumption that he wasn't from Thailand? Would you make the same assumption about a black guy in America and presume he was from Africa?

A wee bit racist, are we????

I got to know this "English" bloke who lives here. Very white, bald and lots of tattoos, around 40. He was totally a 'can't tell a book by its cover' guy. He was adopted by Thais as a little boy and raised Thai in Thailand. It was his first language, his country. Ironic that he would hear all the judgments from the falangs who thought he was one of them, when in truth he was Thai through and through. Back to the beginning of this post - Nobody has enough information to judge anyone else so shut the f up.

• Like 1

I don't know most of you guys sound quite boring. Or you don't get out much. Part of going out is to meet people. Of course it also pleasant, to be able to strike up a conversation in your mother tongue. If the opening salvo, happens to mention how long the person you responding to has been here, so what!!. Besides if someone tells me he's been here for 20 years, I want to listen to him. Chances are good he can make some good recommendations, which might just be what you where looking for.

I don't see what status being here a long time gives anybody. Most farang are here because its a damn site better than the place they came from. The airport is always open, for those of you who are just to important or rude to be sociable and obliging.

Anyone else get there gold thai watch in the mail??? Ahh you havent been here long enough..yeah they send one to you after you become an expert at knowing everything that anyone wants to know. Usually takes about 30 years but i did it in 2 weeks.

Sent from my c64

Not on topic!

Wait a minute wow64, are you accessing TV with a Commodore C64? If so, how does it even load your web browser?

Oh you dont know. You have not been here long enough.. ;)

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

The airport is always open, for those of you who are just to important or rude to be sociable and obliging.

LOL That's the first time I've heard the "leave the country" chestnut wheeled out for not obliging some gimp who feels like carpet-bombing you with his halfwit opinions when you don't feel like it.

I hope you don't rock that attitude with someone who prefers not to engage in conversation with you in this country because it'll likely get you punched out on the spot and, 9 times out of ten, there are never any witnesses.

you should try Australia, as an Aussie I have worked and lived in many country towns where if you are not 4th or 5th generation from that area you are simply a blow in that's good for nothing but a punching bag at the local watering hole. Anyway, it's been my experience that most americans want to feel important wherever they are!

Most Americans couldn't point out Australia on a map.

In between New Zealand and Indonesia. 295° from Levittown, Pennsylvania

Sent from my c64

Not on topic!

Oh you dont know. You have not been here long enough.. wink.png

Sent from my c64

LMAO

One very long term resident has written reams about Thailand and yet finds it hard to explain in Thai to a taxi driver where he wants to go. He once tried the 'I've got 30 years experience in Thailand' line. He was put down with the riposte 'No, you've had one year's experience 30 times'.

please tell me you are talking about stinkman.

is he even still here?

Yanks are extremely thick or extremely intelligent, no middle ground.

Yep, you are right. And both of em should stay up North whar they come from!

Yeah, you 2 guys are REAL open-minded!

Exactly the kind of people I don't want to run into - EVER.

People on TV give crap to anyone who pre-judges........wait for it........Russians, Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Japanese, Thais, etc, ...... but you 2 geniuses seem to have it all figured out that ALL Yanks are either really dumb or really smart, with no middle ground! Must be nice to be you, knowing exactly how intelligent or stupid 315 million people are, congrats! Oy vey.....

To clarify, since some people don't seem to understand the original post; I was eating dinner with a British friend in Pattaya. Some guy came in and sat at the table directly across from us, he could hear our conversation whether we wanted him to or not and it was obvious he was listening and looking at us on occasion, we could see it! So my friend steps out for a smoke and the other Yank and myself start chatting, basically picking up where my mate and I had left off; it was the topic of drought and climate change, and how the price of fruits have gone up. HE spoke up first, I didn't! Since it was obvious he was either central- or western-Canadian or an American [no other countries talk like we do] I simply asked him in the course of our short conversation which one it was.

Getting the "I am from here" line tossed back at me was an eye-rolling moment, when the older guy was 6 foot 2, had pale skin and a shock of white hair, and spoke English as well as I did. He wasn't Thai, he was a midwesterner from America, so why not just admit that? Too cool to say you once came from America because you now live here, even to another American? Not getting it.

It's happened many other times in the half seasons I have been coming here as well, in fact I half expect it now when I talk to older expats. And it's boring. And I've even gotten it from Brits and Aussies and other nationalities, you know, countries with people in the middle ground, not just smart or thick whistling.gif

Get over yourselves, it's not a competition how long you've managed to stay in Thailand and no one gives a flying fart.

I am proudly from Boston, USA, and mentioned that in the original post.

So I am either really thick or really smart; still haven't figured out which one but since those 2 extremely bright posters said ALL Americans must be one or the other than it must be so. Imagine being as smart as they are and just automatically knowing that certain countries have no middle ground in regards to their intelligence level? As I said, it must be really nice to be them.

Sure. There are deeply rooted psychological reasons, no doubt. Everyone is a little screwed up in one way or the other. I'm a healthy good looking man with a good heart - a career artist and novelist. I moved to Kauai, Hawaii twenty five years ago. Kauai has a reputation as "monk island." There seems to be an "age appropriate" unwritten law (in the whole US). Most of the middle aged men looked across the aisle at bitter age appropriate women. I'm generalizing, but its just how it was for me, and most of my men friends. The younger women I was attracted to, and could have fun together with, couldn't possibly get serious with someone their father's age. So, as much as I didn't like it, most of those years I was celibate. I was totally willing to meet a woman and marry her, but my prayers were never answered. I couldn't even find the underground hookers, if there were any there at all. When I finally retired, I came to Thailand. I could have been married twenty times since I moved here, but I'm not into rescuing women. I'm not that rich falang they want. Yes, I'm picky. I want the right one - a woman who loves who I am regardless of my age or money in the bank. They say a good man is hard to find. Also a good woman is hard to find. I'm willing and able - where are you darling?

You are refreshingly honest, the kind of guy I would like to have a beer with. The mental image the part in bold made me chuckle :)

• Like 1