New purchase of a desk-top Mac computer

eljuwa

Hello Forum Member

I came to Thailand on a retirement visa in January 2010. I brought my personal effects including my Mac computer with no problems and no levy of taxes.

It is time for me to buy another Mac to replace my aging computer. I am going to USA in October 2014 and I wish to buy my new computer in the USA and not in Thailand.

I wish to know the following:

(1) Do I have to pay custom duties in the purchase of this replacement Mac in Thailand ?

(2) I have seen the prices of a Mac in Thailand and it is astronomical. Since I am only replacing my existing Mac and I am not trying to sell same in Thailand, do I get a break from Thai customs ?

(3) Are there any advantages of buying the Mac in Thailand over bringing same from USA ?

Thanks very much for your counsel.

James

You can only Import personal effects Duty Free on one occasion.

Therefore you will almost certainly have to pay Duty on the new machine (I "almost" because you may decide to try and walk through the Green channel and take a risk!).

Customs will not cut you any slack at all if you try to avoid Duty by saying this is a replacement for a unit previously Imported Duty Free under your personal effects allowance.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Well last time I checked, the retail prices were almost the same (about 1000baht difference).

If you are buying the mac here in Thailand you can also do VAT refund (7%).

If you are not in hurry you can also request an English keyboard without Thai on it at the apple store.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Well last time I checked, the retail prices were almost the same (about 1000baht difference).

If you are buying the mac here in Thailand you can also do VAT refund (7%).

If you are not in hurry you can also request an English keyboard without Thai on it at the apple store.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can only get the 7% VAT refunded if you are on a Tourist visa and taking the equipment out of Thailand when you leave.

It does not apply to anyone on a Retirement Visa.

Patrick

• Like 1

The Imac price from the Apple Online Store is nearly the same as US if you use the education store discount. VAT and DHL shipping is included in the price, and it's delivered right to your door.

• Like 1

The Imac price from the Apple Online Store is nearly the same as US if you use the education store discount. VAT and DHL shipping is included in the price, and it's delivered right to your door.

Thanks for the info.

I have not used Apple on-line store - is it out of USA or Thailand ??

How do I get the "education store discount " if I am not on an education visa ( I am on a retirement visa) ??

James

Buy the computer in the US, take it out of the new box so it will fit, put it in you bag, collect your bag from the carousel when you arrive, and walk through the GREEN channel when leaving the baggage claim area. If questioned, which I have never had happen, just state it is your personal property and since you don't have 10 of them the inspector will know that it belongs to you and is allowed into the country without the payment of any duty. Do you think that every person that comes into this country with and expensive camera, laptop, tablet, or any other electronic item declares them upon arrival ?

Why is everyone making this so difficult, especially the poster who states that you can only import "personal effects" duty free only once.facepalm.gif You can import personal effect as many times as you come through the airport. Only Thais are given any kind of "duty free" privileges when returning from an overseas business or government assignment and that is for cargo shipment

Where do people get this idea that a non immigrant visa , an O or O-A, includes any duty free import clause because it doesn't

You are correct on all points. But why would you want to pack a desktop computer with a 21-27" monitor in your checked baggage unless the price difference was substantial? Sounds like a huge potential for disaster, and a big pain in the butt.

• Like 1

Sounded to me like the OP already had the monitor and was just interested in buying a new Mac desktop

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How is he going to buy an iMac without a monitor? sad.png

As has been said, order the thing from the Apple Thailand Education store and have it delivered to your front door. The cost in Thailand for a 21.5 inch 2.7 Ghz model is 43.2k Baht and no worries about import tax/duty - for the same model in the US, it's 1,299 USD ...

Edited by rajyindee
  • Like 1

This is James and I posted this query.

I wish to thank everyone who generously stated their opinions. Much appreciated.

My present i-mac with monitor is all in one unit. So, I can not purchase a monitor separately.

I could always state that this is a gift to a student and then use the Student Discount.

The price difference between USA and Apple Store is not that much.

Any differing comments, please let me know.

Once again - THANKS

James

This is James and I posted this query.

I wish to thank everyone who generously stated their opinions. Much appreciated.

My present i-mac with monitor is all in one unit. So, I can not purchase a monitor separately.

I could always state that this is a gift to a student and then use the Student Discount.

The price difference between USA and Apple Store is not that much.

Any differing comments, please let me know.

Once again - THANKS

James

Many universities also have a u-store (apple store) located on campus where you can order. Some sort of ID is needed (student, lecturer, employee) to get the education discount.

Edited by rajyindee

Below is the link to Apple Store Thailand Education, located in Singapore. The education discount is for students, teachers, or those buying a gift for a student. No proof is required. I just ordered a 21.5" Imac. The total cost was 43,200 baht delivered in about 2 weeks. The current conversion rate comes out to approximately $1350. The US price is $1300 before state sales tax. And you still have to get it over here.

http://store.apple.com/th-k12

While most Windows based computers bought in Thailand are way more expensive than the US, and come with counterfeit software, Apple products bought direct have become a bargain, and have all legitimate software. For me, it was a no-brainer.

Can you still get vat back on the education store? Or is it cheaper to buy with the vat and claim it back ?

RAZZ

I Bring my loptop with me every time I come to Thailand, no one documents that I had a Lop-top when I came here and

I never had to pay anything,

When I leave I usually give it to one of the relatives, do the same with I-phones

So I don't see why you would have a problem bringing your personal computers ti Thailand, as long as you take it out of the box.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I'm not sure if this thread is still open?

I am coming to Phuket to visit my friend who lives there (He is UK citizen on work visa) I will be on tourist visa.

I would like to purchase a new Macbook or Imac while I am out there.

Either from apple online or the education store listed in the comments here.

My question is if the computer comes from either apple store thailand or the singapore education store will there be any duties or delivery issues into my friends residence in phuket?

Can I have it delivered to me on a tourist visa without a problem?

I will bring a flight case with me so it will leave with me as my own computer when I return to the UK. Will there be any issues leaving with it at the airport?

Thank you

M