Getting things delivered to Chiang Mai from US company

finy

Does anyone have any info they could kindly share on getting something delivered from a US company to Chiang Mai?

The thing I'm worried about is the fact I don't have a clue how import taxes work.

1- If I try to get it delivered to my guest house will the package get stuck in customs in Bangkok?

2- Will they send the parcel up to a post office in Chiang Mai where it will be held until I pay the import tax? (this would be fine, I just don't want it stuck in Bangkok)

With number 2 I'm guessing they'll still send a notice to my guest house telling me I need to visit a certain post office to collect the item.

This obviously sounds like a stupid question to some, but I really have no idea how it works.

Cheers

In my limited experience there is a good chance of your parcel never turning up anywhere.

If it is important/valuable, I would try to get a friend to bring it in with them, otherwise be prepared for its non appearance!

• Like 1

I have had several packages sent to me over the past few years from America. First thing I learned is that having anything sent via UPS or Fed-ex is not so good when it comes to import taxation. They end up in Bangkok at a contracted transfer warehouse owned by the shipping company that is authorized to collect the import tax. You will be asked to pay a very large fee for customs as they charge a commission to collect the import tax.

However, everything I have had sent to me via U.S. Postal services comes through the local Thai post office. Yes you will get a notice to pick the item up at a post office but the customs fee will be reasonable and you are less likely to git taken. So you are on the right track already by having it sent via government postal services rather than a shipping company.

What you want to do should work as you have stated that you think it will.

• Like 2

Agree with BarnicaleBob. In the past I have not had to pay customs if sent USPS, but that changed this year. Still, it is more reasonable than FedEx.

I recently had to go to the Airport to get the items and pay the tax. The notice they sent me was in Thai and all I could get was "Airport" I went to the first building and showed them the paper and they directed me to the cargo area of CNX.

Roll with any punches and you will get it just fine. Oh, yes, you can track it on the internet and see how long it is in customs. Be sure to get a tracking number.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I use the postal service all the time getting things from the US . Only got hit once with a tax many boxes have go thorugh and never an issue ... Postal service is best value it at less that $25.00 and your pretty safe

I use the postal service all the time getting things from the US . Only got hit once with a tax many boxes have go thorugh and never an issue ... Postal service is best value it at less that $25.00 and your pretty safe

Similar eperience to mine. I have had around 30 packages sent to me via USPS and I was charged duty on only three. It seems to be that items that are heavy or large get checked. If the items isn't valuable, it's best if you can get the merchant to send it without an invoice or with a substantially reduced price on the invoice. Items that don't get held for duty were delivered to my house by the Thai post.

BTW, I have never had a package lost using USPS.

• Like 1

Would it be easier to get it sent to my home in UK then unpacked and sent across as gift?

It's only a pair of gymnastic rings, so not so heavy.

I tried that route last september-still waiting. Royal mail UK paid up but no sign of any parcel here.

Pot luck may be...

Maybe a declaration on the outside ( you can get them at uk post offices) to say value below 20gbp and fitness kit - worth a try?

Be sure things are reliable at your guest house.

At our current condo, all incoming packages are logged on a clipboard, a notice is placed in your mail slot and you have to sign for the package when you pick it up. Incoming packages are kept in a closed room, with an office gal watching them carefully. Small packages are kept in a locked drawer. Seems to be good security.

In our previous condo, all incoming mail -- including packages -- was tossed on a large table in the office and residents were free to enter the office and paw thru the items. Often the only office gal was out of the office taking care of something around the building, yet the office was left unlocked with the mail and packages unsupervised.

• Like 1

I have had several packages sent to me over the past few years from America. First thing I learned is that having anything sent via UPS or Fed-ex is not so good when it comes to import taxation. They end up in Bangkok at a contracted transfer warehouse owned by the shipping company that is authorized to collect the import tax. You will be asked to pay a very large fee for customs as they charge a commission to collect the import tax.

However, everything I have had sent to me via U.S. Postal services comes through the local Thai post office. Yes you will get a notice to pick the item up at a post office but the customs fee will be reasonable and you are less likely to git taken. So you are on the right track already by having it sent via government postal services rather than a shipping company.

What you want to do should work as you have stated that you think it will.

From my experience, items sent by USPS First Class International mail are seldom checked. The downside is there is not tracking. (caveat, if USPS First Class International is offered)

Be sure things are reliable at your guest house.

At our current condo, all incoming packages are logged on a clipboard, a notice is placed in your mail slot and you have to sign for the package when you pick it up. Incoming packages are kept in a closed room, with an office gal watching them carefully. Small packages are kept in a locked drawer. Seems to be good security.

In our previous condo, all incoming mail -- including packages -- was tossed on a large table in the office and residents were free to enter the office and paw thru the items. Often the only office gal was out of the office taking care of something around the building, yet the office was left unlocked with the mail and packages unsupervised.

I'm testing things right now with a letter, but they seem like nice people and I'm the only long term resident at the guest house.

In my last guest house I also got 2 parcels delivered (from home) and one of the receptionists even brought one of them up to my room.

But you're right, much will depend on where you stay.

Would it be easier to get it sent to my home in UK then unpacked and sent across as gift?

It's only a pair of gymnastic rings, so not so heavy.

I tried that route last september-still waiting. Royal mail UK paid up but no sign of any parcel here.

Pot luck may be...

Maybe a declaration on the outside ( you can get them at uk post offices) to say value below 20gbp and fitness kit - worth a try?

It sounds like you've had a lot of bad luck.

I can understand why you'd be skeptical about getting things delivered.