Have I enough transit time?

Time for a visa run and thought I would try something different as Airasia had some good deals on flights/hotel..

Will depart Chiang Mai and arrive in Don Mueang at 1.20pm.

Have departure from DM for Vietnam at 3.00pm.

Assuming no delays in arrival, is this enough time to pick up bags, check in bags, and clear immigration/customs?

This is on two separate booking s(Airasia special from DM only). Does any one know if I can use the fly-thru service at CNX (ie check in internationally) for fly-thru at DM. Ticket was not booked as fly-thru and Airasia lass at CNX did not seem to know about fly-thru at DM. Web site for Airasia is not that clear on this (to me).

Any advice much appreciated....

Edited by mamborobert

Assume you arrive on time and it takes 30 mins to get off and pick up your bags. Speed walk to check-in, you may be at the desk just before 14:00. One hour before departure. When does check-in close 1hour before ? 45 mins before? I would say you have a 15 minute safety margin which could be wiped out in CNX with a late departure, at DMK waiting to park at a gate, waiting for your bag, bit of a thunderstorm at DMK and you are holding for 20 mins before landing.

You have a better chance if you travel hand luggage only. If you do miss your connection what will it cost to buy a new flight 5-10k ? As long as there are seats on the next flight. Taxi to BKK for an alternative? Arrive another day? Missed 1 nights hotel? I wouldn't do it. Stay in ayutthaya or bangkok one night or fly earlier in the day with a 3 hour safety margin as a minimum.

• Like 1

Too tight, should book an earlier flight to BKK....if the check-in counter is congested, suggested you speak to one of the AA staff about your dep.time she would help you jump the Q..

Edited by chuang
  • Like 1

You wouldn't have made the first plan I don't think.

Assuming you arrived at 1.20, would have left you 40 minutes to do everything include checking in with Air Asia. They close the gates 1 hour before the flight leaves.