mochit bus terminal to Suvarnabhumi Airport

Next Tuesday my wife and I will head up to BKK via bus from Hatyai. We will be taking with us four big pieces of luggages, two carry-ons, two backpacks, and a purse which is the maximum that Qatar airlines allows for our international trip to America. What is the most viable option of transporting our gear from the bus terminal to the airport that does not cost an arm or a leg? I suggested to my wife that we should take a van and rent out an extra row of seats just for our luggage.

To save all the messing around why not take a flight direct to Swampy ?

Domestic flights don't go to Swampy nowadays.

I think the best way would be to hire two taxis. The wife can easily fit half the stuff in one taxi and OP can take the other half in another.

Edited by edwardandtubs

To save all the messing around why not take a flight direct to Swampy ?

Most of the flights from Hatyai to BKK charge ridiculously high luggage fees. I figure we would end up paying around 7,000 baht just for our luggage in addition to 1500-2000 baht per ticket. Taking a VIP bus would be somewhat cheaper. Are the taxis metered? How much is a fair price should I negotiate if not?

I guess the fair would be around 400 baht for 1 taxi, but all depends a bit on traffic and if you take the express way (toll) or not.

Taxis are metered, but you can always try and negotiate. But do also include who pays fro the express way if you negotiate.

Not protesting near the airport, but they are protesting at CAPO HQ and the TV stations on Viphavadi Rangsit road. This could affect traffic around Mor Chit bus station. I would make sure that you allow ample time to get from the bus to Suvarnabhumi if the protests are still happening on your day.

Lovely. My plane departs at 8:55 pm Tuesday night and I will probably be departing Hatyai around 6 pm ish tomorrow. Without any delays or or bus failures I should arrive to bkk Tuesday around 8:00 am. Should I make a beeline directly to the airport and stay there until my flight departs? I was hoping to visit some family and friends before I leave though it looks less and less likely that will happen

Hat Yai bus don't they end at Sai Tai Mai?

In Bangkok, depart from the Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai) Address: Th Bromaratchachonanee & Th Phuttamonthon 1, Thonburi. Serves Southern & Western cities, including Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Phuket, and Hat Yai.

Anyway haul a van or break at STM.

If you have many hours to spend why not drop your luggage at swampy (100B day/bag) and go visit your friends?

I wonder if you made your homework though, Nok air flies 9x day Hat Yai-Bangkok, would cost you 2870B pp including 40kg bags/pp (15kg standard + 875B for 25kg extra) Still time to book....

OK, you still would need a cab from Don Meuang to Swampy, but no stress or 12 hours in a bus.

Edited by tartempion

Never had stress on a bus. 12 hours is not a big deal to me. I will be up for 48 hours straight playing video games and watching movies, and needless to say, I will be completely dead when I get on the bus. I’ve made this trip several times over the years for various of reasons.

My wife and I will be bringing 4 bags totaling 92 kg + two carry ons 15 kg each. Using the figures that you gave I would estimate that it would cost 3500 baht (875 x 4) just for our luggage. and the plane tickets would be 2870 x 2 (if I understood your figures correctly) which is 5740 baht. Grand total: 9240 baht. A 32 seater from Hatyai to BKK cost a little under 900 baht plus 100 baht per piece of luggage that we put under the bus.

I was even thinking about taking the train up to bkk just to get some nice photos along the way but ruled that out as soon as I heard about the protests. Nokair is probably the best domestic airlines in Thailand but I am an extreme tightwad when it comes to cash.

The only thing that truly concerns me is the protestors. Our friends live near the Ekkamai station.

Edited by Tanis

Well as you wish sir laugh.png

Was only pointing out Nok would cost you 2x2870 this inclusive 2x extra 25kg on top of the 2x15 in the base ticket, thus allowing for 80kgs plus cabin luggage. But you will travel in excess of this, I hope you can get away with all this on Qatar, depending your class of ticket and status;

Have a nice trip.

Well as you wish sir laugh.png

Was only pointing out Nok would cost you 2x2870 this inclusive 2x extra 25kg on top of the 2x15 in the base ticket, thus allowing for 80kgs plus cabin luggage. But you will travel in excess of this, I hope you can get away with all this on Qatar, depending your class of ticket and status;

Have a nice trip.

2 pieces, each not to exceed 23kg (50lb) and a maximum dimension of 158cm (62in)

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.page

Check with the online booking agency and confirmed it with qatar via phone. Probably spent 90 minutes on hold. Also double checked with the domestic airlines to confirm the baggage question. wife packed her violin and alot of cooking equipment into 2 bags. Also I had to have my curry. About the only thing that we didn't bring was the kitchen sink. lol.